Free Consultation: (815) 520-5443Tap to Call This Lawyer
Mrs. Lucinda D. Bugden

Mrs. Lucinda D. Bugden

Law Offices of Lucinda D. Bugden
  • Divorce, Family Law, Juvenile Law...
  • Illinois
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&AResponsive Law

I have been practicing law for over 25 years and believe that I am one of the best litigators out there. I listen to my clients and put their requests into legal pleadings. I advocate for my clients zealously. I spend most of my time working and not much time with my family, that includes several very large dogs. I volunteer at a local school when I can as I believe that children need our patience and help to grow up to healthy and happy adults. It is my goal to make the world a better place for everyone.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Juvenile Law
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Criminal Law
  • Bankruptcy
  • Probate
  • Free Consultation
    up to 1/2 hour free initial consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, MasterCard, Discover
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Flat fees and payment plans available
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Law Offices of Lucinda D. Bugden
Staff Attorney
Prairie State Legal Services, Inc.
Represented single parents in child support, divorce, and Order of Protection cases in Boone, Winnebago, Ogle, Stephenson and Jo Daviess Counties.
First Assistant
Dekalb County Public Defender's Office
Represented individuals charged in felony, misdemeanor cases, and in abuse/neglect and delinquency cases. Litigated over 50 jury trials.
Northern Illinois University
J.D. (1988) | Law
Northern Illinois University Logo
Northern Illinois University
B.A. | English
Activities: Debate scholarship
Northern Illinois University Logo
Websites & Blogs
Law Offices of Lucinda D. Bugden
Legal Answers
8 Questions Answered

Q. Child Support for emancipated kids
A: In Illinois the obligation to pay child support ends when the child turns 18 years old or graduates high school. If the child is 19 years and has not finished high school, the judge's usually extend child support until they graduate. This usually has to be specifically ordered by the judge. But if your child or children is attending college or a vocational school, you can petition the judge to order the other parent to contribute to "post-educational expenses." In Winnebago County this obligation is usually split 3 ways; mother pays 1/3, father pays 1/3 & the child (who is no longer a child) will either have to get a loan, financial aid, or work to pay for his 1/3 of his/her education. You can ask for not just the educational costs, but also for medical expenses, costs of books & supplies, housing expenses, and reasonable living expenses. The law is found at 750 ILCS 5/513.
Q. I am 17 yr old and live in an abusive house with my mother and stepfather. My real father called DCFS no results.
A: Under Illinois law, both parents get visitation (now called "parenting time") with their children. Therefore your legal father should have court ordered visitation with you. On the Order of Protection which named you without your consent, you can appear in court on the OOP & tell the judge that you do not want an OOP against your father. You can file for your own OOP against your mother & her abusive boyfriend. If your parents were married there should be a divorce case; if they were never married, there should be a family case. Your father can file a motion asking for parenting time with you. Or keep having teachers, counselors, or nurses calling DCFS for you, or even call them yourself & tell them of the abuse you are suffering at your mom's. Every call must be investigated & there is no charge to you. Is emancipation possible? If you are self sufficient, you can file a case asking to be emancipated before you graduate from high school or turn 18 years old. But both parents must agree to it. Suggest you talk to an attorney, most offer free initial consultations & you can review all your options with an experienced advocate.
Q. The mother of my two children up and left without notice, not sure she is coming back. What can I do?
A: You should file a Family case in the county where you reside. You are going to have to have her "served" with the complaint by a sheriff's deputy or a private process server. Go to Illinois legal online to learn your rights & to help you file the petition. If you hire an attorney, they will draft the legal pleadings for you. I recommend talking to an attorney and not using online services as they will send you a generic form, where an attorney can create a pleading which includes the specifics of your case. If you do not know her address, check with the police to see if they can locate your children through their school records. Under Illinois law, if a parent takes the children away from the other parent for 1 week, it is the crime of kidnapping. Possible the local States Attorney's office may assist you in locating your family.
Q. If a case has been dismissed and the judge said that a person cannot be around the kids as long as they are/continuing.>
A: Once a case has been dismissed, all orders that were entered in it are no longer in effect. Yet if the case is closed, it is not dismissed and the orders entered in it are valid. An order dismissing a case usually states "dismissed without prejudice" which means it can be refiled at a later date; or "dismissed with prejudice" which means that case cannot be refiled.
Q. I live in IL & Childs father refuses to take her or pay Child support or help pay for daycare. Can court make him?
A: You can either file your own petition for child support in the County where you live or you can sign up for the State of Illinois services online. The courthouse may have a "self help" center or you can go online to Illinois Legal Aid Online & use their forms. The Illinois Supreme Court website has all of the legal forms that are approved in any court.
Q. post Divorce issues involving GAL. Can a GAL make me pay for my deseased exwife bill. I now have full custody of kids?
A: A Guardian ad Litem is appointed by a judge to represent the child or children in court, usually in family court or divorce court if the parents were married. Guardian ad Litem fees are not dischargeable in any bankruptcy case so yes, you are going to have to pay the fees. It doesn't matter who has custody of the children.
Q. Are temporary orders dismissed in a custody case if the case is dropped by petitioner?
A: Any Orders signed by a judge remain valid unless the case is "dismissed" or "vacated" by a subsequent order. But if an order was entered and the people in the case, "the parties," just stopped coming to court, the case is still alive and therefore any orders entered in that case remain valid.
Q. Would I be able to get my dog back legally without going to court?
A: You have to make a demand for your dog in writing. Write a letter, date it & keep a copy of it. I recommend to use a nice tone in the letter, asking to have the dog returned to you by a date certain. Then if they do not return the dog to you, you can file a small claims lawsuit. You will want to attach the dated letter where you demanded the return of your dog (in 24 hours or whatever was your time limit). You will have to bring proof to court that the dog is registered in your name & all or his most recent vet records. Not clear how your mom gave this dog to her coworker. Was she watching the dog for you? It is unlikely that a police officer will help you before you have obtained a "judgment" for the immediate return of your dog. In your lawsuit ask for the return of your dog plus the "costs of suit" for you to file the case & have the sheriff or a private investigator to "serve" the lawsuit.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Law Offices of Lucinda D. Bugden
Telephone: (815) 520-5443
Cell: (815) 520-5443