Free Consultation: (504) 434-0462Tap to Call This Lawyer

Mr. James Zitzmann

Zitzmann Law, LLC
  • Probate, Family Law, Divorce...
  • Louisiana
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

James is the managing member and managing attorney of Zitzmann Law, LLC and founded the firm in 2014.

He attended Louisiana State University for his undergraduate degree. While at Louisiana State, James was involved in Louisiana State University Student Government and was a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. He graduated in 2010 with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science.

He attended the Loyola University New Orleans College of Law where he was a member of the Loyola Law and Technology Annual. While attending, he received the Loyola Alumni Association Legacy Scholarship and the Academic Excellence Award for Highest Grade in Trademark, Tradename and Unfair Competition. Additionally, he studied overseas coursework as part of international programs at the University of Vienna School of Law and the Rio de Janeiro University Faculty of Law as well as participated in a European Union field study. James graduated in 2013 with a Juris Doctor and a Certificate in International Legal Studies.

Practice Areas
  • Probate
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • Domestic Violence
  • Elder Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Juvenile Law
  • Intellectual Property
  • Trademarks
  • Free Consultation
    Free consultations by phone. $50 in-office consultations.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    3% fee added.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Zitzmann Law, LLC
- Current
Operate private practice focusing on family law and successions.
Loyola University New Orleans
J.D. (2013) | Civil Law
Placeholder image for education.
Louisiana State University - Baton Rouge
B.A. (2010) | Political Science
Louisiana State University - Baton Rouge Logo
Professional Associations
Louisiana State Bar Association # 35595
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Notary Public # 138067
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
An Old Rule for a New Era: Applying the First Sale Doctrine Equitably to Software Transfers
Intellectual Property Society of Australia & New Zealand
Websites & Blogs
Zitzmann Law, LLC
Legal Answers
34 Questions Answered

Q. If the judge revoked my probation and gave me credit for time served , should I still serve jail time?
A: You have this question listed under probate law. You need to list it under criminal law so the right people will see it.
Q. cc 1521,et seq
A: Contesting the will is a different question, but CC 1521 simply means that someone named in the will has to be alive for at least 6 months after your mother's death to be eligible to receive the legacy left to them.
Q. How to get kids from noncustodial parent left state on first visit.I am domicile parent with return order from Louisiana
A: You would likely have to speak to an attorney licensed in Florida to determine that. Here in louisiana there is a procedure for enforcing foreign judgments, and I am sure Florida has a comparable procedure.
Q. I got my son from his mother and he has bruises from his stepfather hitting him. Can I legally refuse to return him
A: You would have to file a petition for ex parte emergency custody. You'll need to talk to an attorney to get it done. The petition would be filed and walked through to the judge the same day, and if it is approved, you'll have a custody order the same day so you don't have to return the child, pending a hearing.
Q. Is there a law in Louisiana that someone has to date 6 months and meet the child’s father before he can meet my children
A: There is no law, but it might be in a consent judgment or other judgment regarding child custody.
Q. If I'm paying child support, do I have visitation rights under the child support court or do I have to get an attorney
A: No, nonsupport court does not have jurisdiction to decide child custody. You'll have to file your own pleadings.
Q. Can the decision from a HOC be made if both parties are not present.
A: If service of the petition was made, then yes.
Q. If the father lives in New York while I live in Louisiana, does he have to pay child support?
A: You'll have to get a motion filed in nonsupport court, but yes, you can cause him to pay.
Q. What are the laws on moving out at 17?
A: Well, someone has custody of you until you are 18. This means there is a possibility you could be returned. To get around this you'd need to petition a court for emancipation.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
1106 West 19th Avenue
1106 West 19th Avenue
Covington, LA 70433
Telephone: (504) 434-0462
Fax: (504) 335-0644