Free Consultation: (303) 627-7777Tap to Call This Lawyer
Mr.  H. Michael Steinberg

Mr. H. Michael Steinberg

Law Office of H. Michael Steinberg
  • Criminal Law, Domestic Violence, DUI & DWI...
  • Colorado
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ABlawgsearchSocial Media

Former Career Senior Deputy District Attorney - Prosecutor for Arapahoe and Douglas Counties, the largest jurisdiction in Colorado. 13 years as a Colorado Arapahoe - Douglas County Senior Career Trial District Attorney - the last 22 years as a Colorado Criminal Defense Lawyer. I have specialized in Colorado Criminal Law for over 35 years. I have been in a courtroom nearly every one of those days - almost every single day.

I have handled tens of thousands of cases over the last three plus decades and I love what I do. Whether you need a heart surgeon, an excellent mechanic, or a criminal defense lawyer in Colorado - there is no substitute for a lifetime of experience. None.

I now put my life's experience to work for my clients who are charged in the Colorado Criminal Courts... Please page me 24-7 at 303-543-4433 - or in emergencies - my cell...

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • DUI & DWI
  • Juvenile Law
  • White Collar Crime
Additional Practice Area
  • Constitutional Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Typically a flat fee based on Colorado averages for similar criminal defense - reasonable and fair fee structure.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Owner - Lawyer
Law Office of H. Michael Steinberg
- Current
H. Michael Steinberg has been a Colorado criminal law specialist attorney for 30 years (as of 2012). For the first 13 years of his career, he was an Arapahoe - Douglas County District Attorney Senior prosecutor. In 1999 he formed his own law firm for the defense of Colorado criminal cases. In addition to handling tens of thousands of cases in the criminal trial courts of Colorado, he has written hundreds of articles regarding the practice of Colorado criminal law and frequently provides legal analysis on radio and television, appearing on the Fox News Channel, CNN and Various National and Local Newspapers and Radio Stations. Please call him at your convenience at 720-220-2277.
University of Oregon School of Law
J.D. | Law
Honors: Graduated Top 10% of the class
University of Massachusetts - Amherst
B.A. | Legal studies - Honors
Honors: Graduated With Honors - Cum Laude 3.75 GPA
Professional Associations
Colorado Criminal Defense Bar Association
National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Arapahoe County Bar Association
American Bar Association
American Trial Lawyers Association
Colorado State Bar # 12943
- Current
Legal Answers
62 Questions Answered

Q. is there any way to get out of going to court after you filed restraining orders?
A: If you want the temporary restraining orders to be made permanent you must appear and present your case. If you do not the restraining orders will dissolve. They will be dismissed. There is no alternative. You must present your case and be subject to cross examination. I am sorry.
Q. Is a penalty assessment a criminal violation
A: It should not. Technically a penalty assessment is a civil - not a criminal - offense. You should be - will be - fine.
Q. How many days after your arrested is you right to A speedy trial in Colorado violated . . Exact days
A: None. The right to a speedy trial is not calculated at arrest. It is calculated after a plea of not guilty is entered at the first arraignment. It is six months after the plea of not guilty is entered.
Q. Is it a criminal charge for landlord shutting off my power
A: No. This kind of thing is a civil case at worst. It is not a criminal act. I am sorry because it can have the same impact. H
Q. Can I change the venue of a criminal conviction after all punishments have been complete?
A: I am sorry to say that this is not legally possible. Colorado and Arizona are completely different states - "sovereigns" and Colorado law cannot be applied to Arizona convictions and vice versa. If this was a Colorado conviction and the case was transferred for probation supervision as an example - it would be possible - but it is not possible under the facts as you describe them.
Q. Can an 18 year old date a 17 year old?
A: The simple answer is yes. There is no law in Colorado to prevent this situation.
Q. Is it legal in Arizona for Walmart and other stores to require you to show your receipt and check your bags
A: In a word yes. They are not government. If they suspect you may have shoplifted it accidentally did not pay for an item they have right to make you prove the item was legally purchased.
Q. Arrested for DUI. Jail called ambulance
A: In a word. - yes. If your son required medical attention (that would be the issue) he could be liable for the bill. It would depend on the facts of the case. H
Q. Can CO. Change the verdict of a judge to make a 1st. DUI into a 2nd. & then use a 25yr. old DUI out of CA. to make a 3rd
A: If the person convicted has ANY DUI convictions over their lifetime in any state - the judge is required under Colorado law to sentence that person under enhanced sentencing guidelines. It is not a matter of choice for the judge - it is mandatory.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Law Office of H. Michael Steinberg
5445 DTC Pkwy Penthouse 4
Greenwood Village, CO 80111
Telephone: (303) 627-7777
Cell: (720) 220-2277