Free Consultation: (877) 585-0962Tap to Call This Lawyer
Michael S. Edwards

Michael S. Edwards

Michael S. Edwards, Attorney at Law, PLLC
  • Criminal Law, DUI & DWI, Domestic Violence...
  • Utah
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Mike Edwards is a skilled and zealous advocate who has been practicing law for over 17 years. While Mike has extensive experience in several areas of law, his primary focus is representing people who are facing criminal charges. Mike really enjoys helping people come through these difficult circumstances as well as they can. Because of his experience as an Army JAG in the Utah Army National Guard, Mike is also skilled at handling military legal matters, particularly in the area of non-judicial punishment, separation actions, and courts martial.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Domestic Violence
  • White Collar Crime
  • Military Law
  • Personal Injury
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • Free Consultation
    With family law cases, I provide consultations for the low fee of $50 for the first 30 minutes of consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    I accept credit card payments via both PayPal and LawPay. Both are fully secure credit card service providers.
  • Contingent Fees
    I accept contingent fees in personal injury cases.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Korean
Professional Experience
Senior Defense Counsel
Utah Army National Guard
- Current
Founding Member
Michael S. Edwards, Attorney at Law, PLLC
- Current
Diumenti & Edwards, Inc.
Associate Attorney
Helgesen, Waterfall, & Jones, PC
Deputy County Attorney/Prosecutor
Davis County Attorney's Office
Judicial Law Clerk
Utah State Courts
Brigham Young University
J.D. (1999) | Law
Brigham Young University Logo
Brigham Young University
B.S. (1996) | Sociology
Honors: Magna cum laude; Dean's List; Green to Gold Scholarship recipient; Academic Scholarship recipient
Brigham Young University Logo
Defense Language Institute
Language Proficiency Certification (1993) | Korean
Honors: Honor Graduate
Placeholder image for education.
Bronze Star Medal
United States Army
Professional Associations
Davis County Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Utah Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (UACDL)
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
14 Questions Answered

Q. I crashed a company vehicle (into dirt) and ended up getting a dui. My employer took damage costs out of my last check?
A: Well, if you owe them the money for the damage you caused, it seems that they simply applied "self-help," and got the money back from you quickly through your check. I don't know that there is any legal action you can bring to recover the money, unless you truly don't owe the money to them. The bigger question is: what are you doing to deal with the DUI? You need to get the help of a good criminal defense attorney to help you with your DUI case. Good luck!
Q. If my son is 31 and he is seeing a 15 year old what can happen?
A: Nothing good, that is for sure. If they get involved sexually it is a crime. Tell him not to go there!
Q. If my Public Defender failed to inform me of a plea deal offer how can I avoid enhanced charges for lack of cooperation?
A: I think the solution here is fairly simple. Your public defender needs to go to the prosecutor and explain that he/she failed to notify you of the plea offer (which it is their ethical obligation to do), and ask the prosecutor to give you another chance to accept the offer. If your public defender refuses to do this, I would recommend that you retain an attorney, and have the hired attorney make this explanation to the prosecutor. Then you might have a chance of getting dealt with fairly. Good luck!
Q. I called pharmacy and said was medical assistant could fill my prescription for pain med 2 days early. What could happen
A: You will get charged with the class A misdemeanor of Falsely Obtaining a Prescription.
Q. Who is the plaintiff/petitioner and who is the defendant/respondent?
A: Lehi City is the plaintiff and you are the defendant. The case number is the criminal case number of the case you were prosecuted for. Good luck!
Q. I got charged with dui 6yrs ago which i nevef got arrested for but got let got and then i git recent warrent out for me
A: You need to hire a lawyer to help you with this. The fact that it happened so long ago might be used to your advantage. But a DUI case is too complex to handle alone. Consult with a good criminal defense attorney as soon as you can!
Q. My brother-in-law had an argument with his wife. She started video-taping him with her phone so he wrestled the phone
A: Your brother-in-law needs to consult with a good criminal defense attorney right away. Whether a domestic violence charge is a felony or a misdemeanor can depend on a lot of factors. I don't know enough about his situation to give specific advice here. But whatever the case may be, his situation is serious and he needs a good attorney. Since the matter was reported to the police, his wife cannot just have the charges dismissed (or dropped, as you wrote). However, as the "victim" in the case, she has the right to tell the prosecuting attorney what she thinks should happen. The prosecutors don't always do what the victims say. However, the good prosecutors usually carefully consider it.
Q. Can the imposition of a restricted license for a PerSe arrest be removed or set aside if the subsequent DUI charge was
A: Your question cannot be answered with a simple yes or no. If this is your first DUI offense within the past 10 years, and if your license was suspended for 120 days (a per se suspension), then if your DUI charge is dismissed in the criminal court, then the Driver License Division should reinstate your license when it gets proof of the dismissal. However, if this is your second or subsequent DUI arrest within the past 10 years, or if your license was suspended or revoked for a refusal to submit to a chemical test, then the dismissal of the criminal charge will not lead to you getting your driver license back immediately. If that is your situation, you won't get your license back until you reinstate it when your suspension or revocation period is over, as imposed by the driver license division. Good luck!
Q. If you did a crime when you were 14 and no one found out until you were 18 can they still charge you?
A: It depends on the crime. Misdemeanors have a two year statute of limitation. Most felonies have a four year statute of limitation. However, there are some offenses, like sex offenses and homicides that don't have those limitations. Thus, for those offenses you can be charged as an adult for something you allegedly did when you were a minor. I recommend that you have a consultation with a skilled criminal defense attorney to discuss your case in more detail.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
377 Marshall Way
Suite 1-R
Layton, UT 84041
Toll-Free: (877) 585-0962
Telephone: (801) 704-3444
Fax: (801) 734-8440