Free Consultation: (845) 942-0795Tap to Call This Lawyer
Michael Diederich Jr.

Michael Diederich Jr.

US Army Judge Advocate General ("JAG") Corps
  • Appeals & Appellate, Civil Rights, Employment Law...
  • Massachusetts, New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

My interest in law has always been in helping people and helping our system of justice work better. My law office focuses on helping victims of illegality and bias. My office handles wrongful termination and job discrimination cases and civil rights violation. Cases include wrongful discrimination based upon age, gender / sex, national origin, race, pregnancy or disability.
I also served as a "citizen soldier" (US Army reservist), with tours of duty in the combat zones of Iraq (2004-05) and Afghanistan (2012), as an Army lawyer. I retired in the rank of lieutenant colonel.
We handle cases from Long Island, through New York City and into the Hudson Valley up to Albany and Western Massachusetts.

Practice Areas
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Civil Rights
  • Employment Law
  • Environmental Law
  • Gov & Administrative Law
  • Medical Malpractice
Additional Practice Area
  • Constitutional Law
  • Free Consultation
    Free telephone consultation.
  • Contingent Fees
    I often handle an individual's case on a contingency fee basis, sometimes with a partial fee.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Prior results do not guarantee future success. Each case stands on its own merits. I enjoy representing victims of wrongdoing or bias.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
2nd Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. Supreme Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
US Army Court of Military Appeals
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Lt. Colonel (retired)
US Army Judge Advocate General ("JAG") Corps
Principal Attorney
Diederich Law Office
- Current
Except during periods of active governmental service (e.g., 1 year duty as US Army Lawyer in Iraq), I have focused on representing individuals in employment, civil rights and environmental cases. I have also been active in public interest and taxpayer litigation, and influenced the US Supreme Court in environmental/constitutional law. My private practice focuses on employment discrimination and civil rights.
Lewis & Clark Law School
Lewis & Clark Law School Logo
University of Vermont
B.S. | Environmental Science
University of Vermont Logo
Pace Law School
LL.M. | Master of Laws
Placeholder image for education.
US Army Command and General Staff College
Placeholder image for education.
US Army Judge Advocate General's School
Army JAG School-- basic and advanced schools
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
National Employment Lawyers Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
NY State Bar Association
Civil Rights Committe -- appointed member
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Rockland County Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Orange County (NY) Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
18 Questions Answered

Q. Can i be fired after 10yrs working for insurance company, even tho I disclosed felony in app and when questioned by HR
A: Seems you are saying that you have been, or may be, fired for the old felony conviction. Do you think bias may be involved as well? Is your employment in NYC? A useful site is: . If you are fired, you should discuss with an employment lawyer (such as Mr. Urba, or from the NELA referral service, or me). Mike D
Q. I need a lawyer to represent me for unemployment,and sexual harassment and workplace violence.
A: You should speak with an employment lawyer. Some employment lawyers, such as my office, provide a free telephone consultation. Unlawful employment discrimination or reprisal often directly relates to an unemployment insurance claim.
Q. Can an employer ask you to reveal what religious observance day you are asking for?
A: If you wish to be accommodated for your religious beliefs, the employer should be informed of your desired accommodation (e.g., if you wish to observe a religious holiday).
Q. Looking for a lawyer to help me on similar and worst case against Sumitomo
A: If you are worried that your employer may act in a discriminatory or retaliatory fashion, it is always best to consult with an employment lawyer BEFORE the employer takes adverse action. Some employment lawyers offer free telephone consultations.
Q. I have/diagnosed with bi-lateral carpal tunnel syndrome in 2015, fell at work Oct 2015 and have an active WC claim and
A: Law firms representing employees or terminated employees can assess cases differently. I might decide that I can handle a case without requiring any payment toward my attorney fees, whereas another firm might demand the payment of fees. If your present attorney requires upfront money to litigation, you may wish to shop around to see how other law firms view your case. If you are unable to perform a job, it is likely that you will not find any law firms willing to take on the matter (though the only way to know for sure is to seek individual advice from a competent lawyer, based upon your specific facts).
Q. Can I get a restraining order if a coworker is harassing me?
A: I concur with what Mr. Urba wrote. However, if the harassment is sexual in nature, or motivated by factors such as your race, national origin, religion, gender, etc. (i.e., where the law provides protection), then I suggest you discuss with a competent employment lawyer for advise on how to proceed. Even if you are an "at will" employee, the law provides protection against illegality (depending upon what laws may be violated).
Q. My employer requires women to wear skirts and men to wear pants. I'm a woman who isn't comfortable wearing a skirt. Am I
A: Is there a uniform requirement, and if so, is that a reasonable requirement of the job. The reason for your discomfort may be relevant. Religious reasons? If you feel strongly enough about this, you should consult with an employment lawyer, and preferably BEFORE you have problems with your employer.
Q. Is it possible to file an anonymous sexual harassment claim?
A: HR represents management, not you. I tend not to trust HR Departments. Under one set of facts I would agree with what Mr. Urba wrote below. However, your particular facts may warrant an anonymous complaint, which you could do using an attorney as your agent, where the attorney would not disclose your identity (if that is otherwise possible, as may be the case when many women work under the same male supervisor). Reprisal, although unlawful, is often reality, and so I understand why you may wish to file anonymously. Best to find an employment lawyer to advise you.
Q. Does my boss have to allow me time off for religious holidays?
A: As with many legal issues "it depends." Discrimination based upon religion is illegal. On the other hand, if, for example, all police officers or hospital staff are Christian, someone still must work on Christmas and Easter.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Diederich Law Office
361 Route 210
Stony Point, NY 10980
Telephone: (845) 942-0795