Free Consultation: (717) 232-4701Tap to Call This Lawyer
Michael Cherewka

Michael Cherewka

Law Office of Michael Cherewka
  • Business Law, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law ...
  • Pennsylvania
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

With my background in accounting as well as law, I can share my unique background and experience when working with individuals, families and small and mid-size businesses in the areas of estate planning, taxation, corporations and business planning, business acquisitions and sales, succession planning, business exit strategies and real estate.

Practice Areas
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Real Estate Law
    Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
    Tax Law
    Business Taxes, Criminal Tax Litigation, Estate Tax Planning, Income Taxes, International Taxes, Payroll Taxes, Property Taxes, Sales Taxes, Tax Appeals, Tax Audits, Tax Planning
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
  • Free Consultation
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Law Office of Michael Cherewka
- Current
Owner of law firm dedicated to Estate Planning, Trusts and Estates Administration, Business Planning for small to mid-tier businesses including choice of entity, acquisitions and sales, business exit strategies and succession planning
Dickinson School of Law
Honors: cum laude Woolsack Society
Placeholder image for education.
Bucknell University
B.S. | Accounting
Honors: cum laude Delta Mu Delta Omicron Delta Kappa College Register
Bucknell University Logo
Distinguished Service Award
American Heart Association
Professional Associations
Pennsylvania State Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Alliance of Merger & Acquisition Advisors
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Elder Care Matters Alliance
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Wealth Counsel
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Strictly Business
Quantum Press
Speaking Engagements
How To Close An Estate, Mechanicsburg , Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania Bar Institute
Handling Real Estate Transactions From Start to Finish, Harrisburg , Pennsylvania
National Business Institute
VA Accredited Attorney
United States Department of Veterans Affairs
Websites & Blogs
Cherewka Law
Legal Answers
79 Questions Answered
Q. I am redoing my will. I am divorced, but I would like to make my former wife the primary beneficiary of my estate.
A: From the point of view of your Will, you can leave your Estate to anyone you choose, and in this case you would just no longer reference your primary beneficiary as "my wife". From a Pennsylvania Inheritance Tax point of view, this is a major change since the tax rate for bequests to your "Wife" would have been -0-, but the tax rate on bequests to your "Former Wife" is 15%. As you do your planning the Pennsylvania Inheritance Tax Rate on bequests to your children would be 4.5%.
Q. Dad passed in 2/18. The executors took their share of monies but will not disperse mine until I sign off on house.
A: It sounds like your executors are attempting to settle the estate with a Family Settlement Agreement which is the most common way to settle a small estate. If you are not in agreement with the proposed settlement you, as a beneficiary, have a right to request a formal accounting of the estate. You will probably want to hire an attorney to assist you at this stage.
Q. What can a lawyer do?
A: First of all are you sure there is a Will? If your sister-in-law claims there is a Will, and that she is named Executor, and if she has done nothing to date your wife has some options, and she needs to meet with an experienced estate attorney to see what option is best. If you think there is a Will but it has not been probated and your wife has not seen the Will she can file a petition to compel the filing of the Will. If you have a copy of the Will, and your wife is named the alternate executor, or if there is no alternate and your wife is the only other sibling, she may be able to file a petition to probate the copy of the Will and ask that she be appointed the executor since her sister has failed to fulfill her fiduciary duties. And if you do not know if there is a Will then your wife can file a petition to be appointed an Administrator to open an intestacy administration. Any of these types of actions will force your sister-in-law to act, or will allow your wife to be appointed to open an estate and move forward.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
624 North Front Street
Wormleysburg, PA 17043
Telephone: (717) 232-4701
Telephone: (717) 232-4701