Mary Baker is a senior litigation attorney and Of Counsel to BerlikLaw, LLC. Mary engages primarily in civil litigation, including business and commercial litigation, employment litigation, intellectual property and trademark litigation and complex litigation. She has handled litigation covering essentially every issue that affects business. She litigates primarily in Northern Virginia and the District of Columbia, but has litigated in federal courts in California, Georgia, Maryland, New York and Texas.
Some notable professional accomplishments and highlights include:
Winning a $5.4M verdict as lead counsel for a successful Northern Virginia internet technology company in an employment and trade secrets theft case in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
Winning a $1.3M judgment as lead counsel for a D.C. defense subcontractor in a government contract/breach of contract dispute with a major defense contractor.
Arguing and winning an appeal before the Ninth Circuit in a $30M fraud and Ponzi scheme case.
Securing a multi-million dollar settlement in a real property dispute in Loudoun County, Virginia (Loudoun County Circuit Court).
Winning a directed verdict on behalf of defendant foreign embassy in dispute over real property in the District of Columbia involving issues of sovereign immunity.
Arguing a case of first impression before the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals regarding Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act and employment.
Successfully defending defendant-employee in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia in trade secret-breach of fiduciary duty case.
Serving as co-counsel in a complex $9B case in one of the largest ever alleged Ponzi schemes and helping secure successful settlement.
- Business Law
- Employment Law
- D.C. Circuit
- Of Counsel
- BerlikLaw, LLC
- Georgetown University Law Center
- J.D. (1990)
- Honors: cum laude
- Clemson University
- B.A. | Political Science
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Virginia State Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- Common Torts and Claims Through the Prism of Small Business
- TRT 2013
- Discovery Tactics and Issues Relating to Social Media: The Do’s and Don’ts
- TRT 2013
- Employment Law and Risk Management for Small Business
- TRT 2014
- Evidence and Ethics in the World of Social Media and Recent Developments
- TRT 2014
- Social Media and Discovery: Access, Developments and Ethics
- TRT 2014
- Mary Mikell Baker's Website Profile
- BerlikLaw, LLC Website
- The Virginia Business Litigation Blog
- The Independent Personal Stake Exception to Intra-Corporate Immunity
11 October 2019
- Tortious Interference with Anticipated Future Contract
27 September 2019
- Tell the Jury About Your Plea in Bar Now, or Later
10 August 2019
- Business Conspiracy Claims Survive Under Third-Party Rule
9 July 2019
- When Preemption Leads to Unanticipated Removal
18 May 2019
- To Dispute Enforceability of Noncompete, File Plea in Bar
21 April 2019
- Under SCA, Cloud-Based Emails Remain in “Electronic Storage” Even After They’ve Been Read
15 March 2019
- So You Think You’re Going to Recover Attorneys’ Fees?
20 February 2019
- Non-Compete Clause Satisfies Janitor Test, Held Enforceable
13 January 2019