Mary Baker is a senior litigation attorney and Of Counsel to BerlikLaw, LLC. Mary engages primarily in civil litigation, including business and commercial litigation, employment litigation, intellectual property and trademark litigation and complex litigation. She has handled litigation covering essentially every issue that affects business. She litigates primarily in Northern Virginia and the District of Columbia, but has litigated in federal courts in California, Georgia, Maryland, New York and Texas.
Some notable professional accomplishments and highlights include:
Winning a $5.4M verdict as lead counsel for a successful Northern Virginia internet technology company in an employment and trade secrets theft case in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
Winning a $1.3M judgment as lead counsel for a D.C. defense subcontractor in a government contract/breach of contract dispute with a major defense contractor.
Arguing and winning an appeal before the Ninth Circuit in a $30M fraud and Ponzi scheme case.
Securing a multi-million dollar settlement in a real property dispute in Loudoun County, Virginia (Loudoun County Circuit Court).
Winning a directed verdict on behalf of defendant foreign embassy in dispute over real property in the District of Columbia involving issues of sovereign immunity.
Arguing a case of first impression before the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals regarding Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act and employment.
Successfully defending defendant-employee in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia in trade secret-breach of fiduciary duty case.
Serving as co-counsel in a complex $9B case in one of the largest ever alleged Ponzi schemes and helping secure successful settlement.
- Business Law
- Employment Law
- D.C. Circuit
- Of Counsel
- BerlikLaw, LLC
- Georgetown University Law Center
- J.D. (1990)
- Honors: cum laude
- Clemson University
- B.A. | Political Science
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Virginia State Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- Common Torts and Claims Through the Prism of Small Business
- TRT 2013
- Discovery Tactics and Issues Relating to Social Media: The Do’s and Don’ts
- TRT 2013
- Employment Law and Risk Management for Small Business
- TRT 2014
- Evidence and Ethics in the World of Social Media and Recent Developments
- TRT 2014
- Social Media and Discovery: Access, Developments and Ethics
- TRT 2014
- Mary Mikell Baker's Website Profile
- BerlikLaw, LLC Website
- The Virginia Business Litigation Blog
- No Tortious Interference Claim Unless Expectancy is Real
14 March 2020
- Non-Compete Agreements Between Businesses More Likely to Be Held Enforceable
17 February 2020
- Can Your Business Prove its Noncompete Agreements Are Reasonable?
16 January 2020
- Fraudulent Inducement Claims Not Covered by Source-of-Duty Rule
19 December 2019
- Kevin Hart Did Not Breach Fiduciary Duty, Says Virginia Court
27 November 2019
- Waiving the Statute of Limitations: Harder than You Might Think
29 October 2019
- The Independent Personal Stake Exception to Intra-Corporate Immunity
11 October 2019
- Tortious Interference with Anticipated Future Contract
27 September 2019
- Tell the Jury About Your Plea in Bar Now, or Later
10 August 2019