Mary Mikell BakerBerlikLaw, LLC
- Business Law, Employment Law, Trademarks
Mary Baker is a senior litigation attorney and Of Counsel to BerlikLaw, LLC. Mary engages primarily in civil litigation, including business and commercial litigation, employment litigation, intellectual property and trademark litigation and complex litigation. She has handled litigation covering essentially every issue that affects business. She litigates primarily in Northern Virginia and the District of Columbia, but has litigated in federal courts in California, Georgia, Maryland, New York and Texas.
Some notable professional accomplishments and highlights include:
Winning a $5.4M verdict as lead counsel for a successful Northern Virginia internet technology company in an employment and trade secrets theft case in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
Winning a $1.3M judgment as lead counsel for a D.C. defense subcontractor in a government contract/breach of contract dispute with a major defense contractor.
Arguing and winning an appeal before the Ninth Circuit in a $30M fraud and Ponzi scheme case.
Securing a multi-million dollar settlement in a real property dispute in Loudoun County, Virginia (Loudoun County Circuit Court).
Winning a directed verdict on behalf of defendant foreign embassy in dispute over real property in the District of Columbia involving issues of sovereign immunity.
Arguing a case of first impression before the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals regarding Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act and employment.
Successfully defending defendant-employee in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia in trade secret-breach of fiduciary duty case.
Serving as co-counsel in a complex $9B case in one of the largest ever alleged Ponzi schemes and helping secure successful settlement.
- Business Law
- Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
- Employment Law
- Employee Benefits, Employment Contracts, Employment Discrimination, ERISA, Overtime & Unpaid Wages, Sexual Harassment, Whistleblower, Wrongful Termination
- Trademark Litigation, Trademark Registration
- D.C. Circuit
- Of Counsel
- BerlikLaw, LLC
- Georgetown University Law Center
- J.D. (1990)
- Honors: cum laude
- Clemson University
- B.A. | Political Science
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Virginia State Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- Common Torts and Claims Through the Prism of Small Business
- TRT 2013
- Discovery Tactics and Issues Relating to Social Media: The Do’s and Don’ts
- TRT 2013
- Employment Law and Risk Management for Small Business
- TRT 2014
- Evidence and Ethics in the World of Social Media and Recent Developments
- TRT 2014
- Social Media and Discovery: Access, Developments and Ethics
- TRT 2014
- Mary Mikell Baker's Website Profile
- BerlikLaw, LLC Website
- The Virginia Business Litigation Blog
- Even Without a Noncompete, Employees Must Remain Loyal While Employed
May 23, 2023
- Shareholders Don’t Need Stock Certificates
April 21, 2023
- The Top 10 Ways to Spot a Scam
February 4, 2023