Free Consultation: (207) 956-0403Tap to Call This Lawyer
Luke Rioux Esq

Luke Rioux Esq

Criminal Defense Attorney Portland Maine
  • Appeals & Appellate, Criminal Law, Domestic Violence...
  • Maine
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ABlawgsearchSocial Media

I am a Criminal Defense Lawyer based in Portland, Maine. I defends clients charged with Operating Under the Influence (OUI), Drunk Driving, Operating After Suspension or Habitual Offender Revocation, Drug Possession and Trafficking, Marijuana Offenses, Assault, Sexual Offenses, Prostitution Charges, Probation Violations, Extradition Cases, and all other Criminal matters.

I Practice in State and Federal Court at the Trial and Appellate Level and handel cases throughout Cumberland, York and Androscoggin Counties.

While, I specialize in Criminal Defense, I work with seven other Lawyers at the FIrm, Fairfield & Associates. Other Attorneys there handel Family Law and divorce, Juvenile Criminal Defense, Personal Injury, and other case types.

Practice Areas
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Criminal Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • DUI & DWI
Additional Practice Areas
  • Drug Charges
  • Federal Criminal Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Maine Federal Courts
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Associate Attorney
Fairfield & Assocaites
- Current
I joined Fairfield and Associates in 2008 and have focused my practice on Adult Criminal Defense. The firm has offices in Lyman and Portland, Maine. I am based in the Portland Office.
Associate Attorney
DeGrinney Law Offices
I was an Associate with J.P. DeGrinney's law office focused on Criminal Defense in State and Federal cases.
University of Maine School of Law
J.D. | Law
Honors: Graduated Cum Laude. Received a graduation award recognizing achievement in the field of criminal law.
University of Maine School of Law Logo
McGill Univeristy
B.A. | Anthropology and English
Honors: Graduated With Distinction
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
Maine State Bar # 009915
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Maine Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Legal Answers
6 Questions Answered

Q. What happens if you sherriff issued summons for criminal tresspassing
A: What happens if a sheriff issues you a summons? You need to appear in court at the date on the summons.
Q. Can a florida judge state that he isn't going to give time certain trial date due to the fact we live in maine?
A: I don't really understand the question but I also don't know of any rule requiring that the florida judge schedule things in a particular way. Maybe ask a Florida Attorney.
Q. Can a person's probation be revoked in Maine if their restitution is not fully paid yet, but they made a good faith effort?
A: If the probation included a condition that the restitution must be paid before the end of probation, the answer is "yes." The state must file a motion to revoke probation before the probation ends. The judge would then decide what to do. If you have made efforts to pay, you would likely be given more time to make payments.
Q. How long does the warrant of arrest stay active?
A: Until the warrant is served or recalled. Arrest warrants are served by arresting the person. A criminal defense attorney can file a motion to recall a warrant and a judge might choose to recall the warrant under some circumstances.
Q. Whats the max penilty for 2 class b felony charges of theft of a firearm and gun possession
A: The maximum sentence for class B felony charges is 10 years in prison. If both charges stem from the same criminal act (stealing the gun and then possessing the same gun) then the sentences would need to be concurrent, meaning you might get 10 years on each but they are served at the same time. If you are felon already and you possessed the gun, that can be a state or federal crime. It sounds like the state offense is the one charged. The federal sentence would depend on a detailed analysis of the federal sentencing guideline range. Article on Maine Sentencing Laws Article on federal firearms prohibitions
Q. If someone has a warrant for absconding probation with only 5 months left what can be done to get the warrant dropped
A: This is a very serious situation. The most basic condition of probation is to show up for your scheduled check ins. The amount of time left on probation does not have much to do with the severity of the violation. In Maine Criminal Courts, any violation can result in the person serving the remainder of their sentence. This is true even if the person violates on their last day of probation. Contact an attorney ASAP. It might be possible to negotiate with the Probation Officer and with the District Attorney to get the best resolution possible. Visit my website for more information about court procedure and criminal charges:
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Luke S. Rioux
75 Pearl St. Suite 400
Portland, ME 04101
Telephone: (207) 956-0403
Fax: (207) 899-0008