Free Consultation: (718) 286-9132Tap to Call This Lawyer
Leonard R. Boyer

Leonard R. Boyer

Aggressive Effective Passionate Representation
  • Foreclosure Defense, Bankruptcy, Divorce...
  • New Jersey
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Although my firm practices in several different fields of law, my expertise is primarily in Mortgage Foreclosure Defense,Divorce & Family Law, Bankruptcy, and Mortgage loan modification. In terms of divorce law, I have a unique prospective from both my personal and professional experience that few other attorneys can match. To me, each case is personal, each client is a person, never just a file number.

Practice Areas
  • Foreclosure Defense
  • Bankruptcy
  • Divorce
  • Real Estate Law
  • Immigration Law
  • Business Law
  • Family Law
Additional Practice Area
  • Estate,Trust and Asset Protection
  • Free Consultation
    Free 30 min consultation on all non-immigration matters. If an extensive meeting is required, any consultation fee would be deducted from the retainer, when you retain. The consultation fee for Immigration matters is $100.00. If you retain my firm to represent you, the consultation fee will be deducted.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Hourly rates range from $300 to $450 per hour. Contingent Fees on PI and Worker's Compensation only. Flat fees on some matters may be available. Monthly payment plans may be available.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New Jersey
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
New Jersey State Bar Association
New York Law School
J.D. (1982) | Law
Completed 3 year program in 2.5 years.
New York Law School Logo
State University of New York - Buffalo
B.A. (1978) | Political Science & Psychology
State University of New York - Buffalo Logo
Professional Associations
New Jersey State Bar # 010241984
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Boyer Coffy, LLC.
Legal Answers
2019 Questions Answered

Q. My husband has been unemployed for 6 years. I filed for divorce and he is in default. Now suddenly he has a good job. I
A: Although you can amend the document, you really need to retain an experienced matrimonial attorney. You are emotionally involved, do not know the rules of court, case law and many more factors.
Q. my ex husband filed a motion to stop paying child support bc my daughter moved in with him but stays with me on weekend
A: Yes, with a motion based on changed circumstances, your child support will be reduced. The main thing is that your daughter's college education is being paid.
Q. we hired a contractor for our kitchen project, he got paid fully but kitchen it is not finished 100%
A: You are in luck, because under NJ law, there is powerful protection in place on your side. The two most important laws are the N.J. Home Improvement Contractor Act, which almost no home improvement contractor's contract is in compliance with. The Second law is The N.J. Consumer Fraud Act, which allows for triple damages and attorney's fees. However, when you retain an attorney, you at all times will remain responsible for attorneys fees and costs of suit. Those are in addition to all the other causes of action against the contractor, that I can see just from the facts that you have provided. It is critical that you retain an experienced civil litigation attorney who has handled these types of cases many times before.
Q. I recently filed a Ch 7 bankruptcy with an attorney and it was recently discharged. I requested an adversary proceeding
A: Brunner Test is an extremely difficult burden to meet, and even if you can met it, you will almost certainly not have all your debts wiped out. In addition, an adversary proceeding requires a significant retainer and there are no guarantees for success. The Brunner test has three parts that evaluate whether or not a debtor can afford to pay off their student loans. The Brunner test is named after the case in which it was first used, Brunner v. New York Higher Education Services Corp. The debtor must show the judge that: He has made good faith efforts to repay his student loans. He cannot maintain, based on current income and expenses, a "minimal" standard of living for himself and his dependents if forced to repay the loans. Additional circumstances exist indicating that this state of affairs is likely to persist for a significant portion of the repayment period of the student loans.
Q. Why is my bankruptcy lawyer pushing me to sue my last employer and amend my current bankruptcy filing?
A: You are free to change your bankruptcy attorney at any time. It is the Bankruptcy Trustee, not your attorney that has the most to gain if you have a valid employment discrimination case. While your bankruptcy attorney will have to perform some additional legal work, she will not gain much, unless she is able to either personally handle the employment discrimination case (which would be a bad idea) or she knows someone to refer it to and will get a referral fee from that attorney. To determine if you have a viable employment discrimination case you need to consult with an attorney who specializes in that area of legal practice.
Q. If a person meets all the requirements for AVR, travels to country it applies to, can they be denied re-entry to US?
A: There are no 100% guarantees in law of anything else. Well, except that life ends in death.
Q. Hi, I am a green card holder of ten years would like to file for citizenship but needs mum info which she wont give me.
A: This is not going to be something that you can handle on your own. You really need to retain an experienced immigration attorney to represent you in this matter. Immigration law is far more complex and nuanced then just filing out forms. Immigration law is changing almost daily and you are emotionally involved and not a trained attorney.
Q. Can I sue my brother for domestic violence?
A: First of all you need to retain an experienced matrimonial attorney to represent you in seeking the Final Restraining Order, who has extensive trial experience. While it is true that social security is generally exempt from creditor's claims, if you also work with an experienced criminal defense attorney, you may be able to have your injuries and the amount for them classified as criminal restitution, which would mean it is specifically as non-dischargable in bankruptcy.
Q. My wife moved her relative into our home without consulting me and against my wishes. Can I make the relative leave?
A: You will need to retain an experienced landlord tenant attorney to represent you in this matter. However, since you and your wife are probably co-owners of the house, it may not be so simple and straight forward. Good luck.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Boyer Coffy, LLC.
3145 Coney Island Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11235
Telephone: (718) 286-9132
Cell: (201) 675-5577
Fax: (201) 503-8150
Boyer Coffy, LLC---Main Office
1000 Clifton Ave
Suite 200
Clifton, NJ 07013
Telephone: (973) 798-6131
Cell: (201) 675-5577
Fax: (201) 503-8150
Boyer Coffy, LLC.
4400 U.S. Route 9 South
Suite 1000
Freehold, NJ 07728
Boyer Coffy, LLC.
197 State Route 18 South
Suite 3000
East Brunswick, NJ 08816
Telephone: (973) 798-6131
Cell: (201) 675-5577
Fax: (201) 503-8150