Free Consultation: (603) 882-2189Tap to Call This Lawyer
Leonard G Deming

Leonard G Deming

We are a Debt Relief Agency under Federal Law. We help people get relief from th
  • Bankruptcy, Foreclosure Defense
  • New Hampshire
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Attorney Deming is a former Chapter 7 trustee and former attorney with the U.S. Small Business Administration. An honors graduate with a BA in History from Michigan State University and a holder of the degree of Juris Doctor from Thomas M. Cooley Law School in Lansing, Michigan, he has practiced law for over 32 years. His practice is now limited to bankruptcy and debtor relief and has been for many years.

Practice Areas
  • Bankruptcy
  • Foreclosure Defense
Additional Practice Area
  • Fair Debt Collection Practices Act representation
  • Free Consultation
    Deming Law Office offers a no-charge, in-depth consultation for all consumer debtors during which we find out about the client's situation and advise the client of all options, alternatives, and what it would cost to achieve the peace of mind that can come from reorganizing or simply getting a "fresh start."
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New Hampshire
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
1st Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
American Bankruptcy Institute
- Current
National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- Current
New Hampshire Bar Association
- Current
Western Michigan University Cooley Law School
J.D. (1981) | Law
Honors: Book Award-Conflict of Laws
Western Michigan University Cooley Law School Logo
Michigan State University
B.A. (1977) | History
Honors: Graduated with Honors
Michigan State University Logo
President's Award for Distinguished Service
New Hampshire Bar Association
Professional Associations
New Hampshire Bar Association # 618
Placeholder image for professional associations.
National Business Institute
Activities: Have presented CLEs for lawyers in the area of bankruptcy
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Presenter, Consumer Bankruptcy From Start to Finish, Manchester NH
National Business Institute
As one of a panel of eight, presented "Introduction to Consumer Bankruptcy" AND "The Means Test: A Walk-Through";
Presenter, Chapter 7 and 13 Bankruptcy: Line-by-Line Workshop, Manchester NH
National Business Institute
As one of three panel members, presented three different sections including Consumer Bankruptcy Fundamentals and Bankruptcy Filing Procedures; Means Test Workshop; and Chapter 7 Workshop: Filling in the Required Forms Line-by-Line
Websites & Blogs
New Hampshire Bankruptcy Attorney
Bankruptcy Blog
Legal Answers
4 Questions Answered

Q. What is the maximum amount an attorney can legally charge a client for a chapter 13 bankruptcy in the state of NH?
A: Attorneys fees in Chapter 13 are subject to local court rules. Attorneys may charge anything in accordance with the contract with the debtor/client but if the fee exceeds the "no look" amount of a maximum of $4,500, then the attorney must file an application with the court to have the fee approved. The court will grant or deny the application based on all of the circumstances. No fee application is required if the total of the fee received is $4,500 or less. But anything over requires an approval order. I personally have seen fees approved in some case in the tens of thousands of dollars, although such cases are very rare.
Q. Can my car's title holder still repossess my vehicle if I've filed for bankruptcy?
A: Yes, if you don't pay for the car, come to an agreement on how to pay for the car, or make some other deal on the amount owed. The creditor cannot act unless 30 days has passed from the time of the creditors meeting AND the debtor has not taken any action to follow through on his/her Statement of Intention to reaffirm, redeem, or surrender the personal property subject to the loan and lien. At that point, the automatic stay evaporates and the creditor may repossess.
Q. If I am at risk of being foreclosed on, will I go to court?
A: New Hampshire has a "statutory power of sale" that most mortgagees utilize when foreclosing. This is non-judicial process which does not require the mortgagee to go to court for an order or judgment like most states have. However, there is a process whereby the party being foreclosed upon can go to court to seek a restraining order or injunction against the mortgagee to stop or delay the foreclosure but this is a choice the debtor makes if he or she has grounds to request such relief. And, of course, if the creditor is not paid in full by the sale of the property, the creditor has a right to sue in court to recover the "deficiency" which may involve the debtor going to court to respond/defend such a lawsuit.
Q. I owe the state of Florida Department of children and family an overpayment. Will filing Bankruptcy wipe out the debt?
A: I believe it is likely that this debt can be discharged by filing a bankruptcy petition unless the creditor can show fraud or misrepresentation under Section 523 of the Bankruptcy Code. Certain government benefits over payment, such as workers compensation or unemployment benefits, can be discharged by filing for bankruptcy protection because there is no specific provision for excepting them from discharge in Section 523. However, courts have ruled that such agencies can apply the principle of "recoupment" for over payments discharged in bankruptcy which means that if the debtor ever seeks to avail himself or herself of that benefit again, the agency can recoup the amount discharged by applying the new benefit to the amount "credited" and not actually pay any new benefit until the old amount is accounted for. However, the agency is prevented from taking any other actions to collect the discharged obligation. From your initial question, it sounds to me like it probably falls into this category.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Bankruptcy Attorney
491 Amherst St., Ste 22
Nashua, NH 03063
Telephone: (603) 882-2189