Kristen Thurmond

Kristen Thurmond

Attorney at Thurmond Law Firm LLC
  • Family Law, Divorce, Animal & Dog Law ...
  • Missouri
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Kristen Thurmond is the owner of Thurmond Law Firm LLC. She started a practice with the goal of helping individuals with family and animal matters.

Dealing with a family law case is often a confusing time for people. Kristen helps her clients by helping them be prepared for the legal issues arise while family dynamics are changing. This include divorces and paternity actions with a focus on establishing or changing custody orders and child support.

Animal related matters are an area of law that is growing. Sometimes, pet owners find themselves facing fines and possible jail time for city tickets. If you're a pet owner and find yourself in that situation, Kristen can help. Additionally, Kristen has helped many business owners with legal disputes and reviewing or creating contracts. Her passion for animal related matters helps her guide clients through legal problems to keep pets safe, healthy, and out of legal trouble.

Additionally, Thurmond Law Firm regularly helps with traffic tickets such as speeding, no license, no insurance, and other common tickets received.

At Thurmond Law Firm, we assist families in cities all across the KC Metro area in Missouri, such as Kansas City, Independence, Grandview, Raytown, Lee's Summit, Belton, Harrisonville, Garden City, Liberty, Kearney, Gladstone, Riverside, Parkville, Platte City, and many others. We regularly practice in Jackson, Clay, Cass, and Platte counties.

Practice Areas
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Animal & Dog Law
    Juvenile Law
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    We accept Visa and MasterCard.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Our consult fee of $25 is applied to your first invoice if you hire us. Ask us about our payment options, which include flat fees or payment plans instead of standard hourly billing.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Attorney and Owner
Thurmond Law Firm LLC
- Current
The Law Offices of Creagar & Thurmond, LLC
Intern/Law Clerk
Whitsitt & Whitsitt, LLC
Student Attorney
UMKC Child and Family Services Clinic
University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Law
J.D. (2014) | Law
Activities: National Adoption and Child Welfare Moot Court Team; Animal Law Society, President 2013; UMKC Child and Family Services Clinic
University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Law Logo
William Jewell College
B.A. (2011) | English, History
Honors: Rick-Pinkerton Scholarship for Dedication to the English Department
Activities: WJC's Online Radio Station (Manager 2008-2011); International English Honors Society; International History Honors Society; Alpha Gamma Delta
Placeholder image for education.
Top 20 Family Lawyers in Kansas City
Chosen from over 250+ attorneys in Kansas City, Missouri
Selected for Top 40 Under 40 for Family Law
American Institute of Trial Lawyers
Nominated as Top 40 Young Lawyer
National Alliance of Women in Law
Selected for Top 40 Under 40 for Criminal Defense
National Trial Lawyers
Selected as Top 40 Under 40 for Family Law
American Academy of Attorneys
Selected for Top 40 Under 40
National Trial Lawyers
Selected for Top 40 Under 40 in Family Law
American Academy of Attorneys
Nomination for Top Ten Attorney in Kansas City
American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
Professional Associations
The Missouri Bar  # 67783
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Assocation
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Pet Resource Center of Kansas City (f/k/a Spay and Neuter KC)
Activities: Volunteers assist with wellness care clinics, outreach programs, and community education opportunities. The goal of SNKC is to keep families together with their pets by providing low cost vaccinations, spays, and neuters and try to help families in need of supplies.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Restraining Orders Involving Dogs or Pets
Speaking Engagements
Volunteer Attorney, Ask-a-Lawyer Telethon, KCMBA Headquarters
Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Assocation
Answered calls from Kansas City area individuals to provide legal guidance and sources to find legal assistance.
Volunteer Attorney, Ask-a-Lawyer Telethon, KCMBA Headquarters
KCMBA and Fox
Local news stations ran stories directing citizens to call in for free legal help. If there was not an attorney there to help, they directed the person to a local directory to find an attorney in that area of law.
Guardian ad Litem
Missouri Bar
Legal Answers
102 Questions Answered
Q. How many dogs are you allowed to have in missouri. We are outside of town.
A: This is going to vary by city or county. As far as I know, there is no limit on the number of dogs you can own under state law. This is usually covered by local laws. However, you run the risk of being considered a breeding facility if you own enough dogs that are intact and having litters. That would subject you to state laws and inspections by the department of agriculture.
Q. i'm 14 and neither of my parents have sole custody of me, so can i live with either parent?
A: The most simplistic answer is that without a court order your father may not have legal rights to make decisions for you. This could cause problems at doctors' offices, schools, etc. The good news is that, yes, you do get a say in where you want to live. How much your voice is heard on the matter depends on how reasonable your parents are and what all the other facts are. If you can, discuss it with both parents or with a school counselor or teacher you trust (by email probably right now). If there is a court order for joint custody (not sole or full like your question states), that order gets followed until your parents either agree to change it or a court orders it changed.
Q. I have separated with my ex 2 weeks ago and she is bringing strange men around my daughter
A: Unless something is happening to the kids, such as abuse or neglect, the Court will not entertain emergency orders. You may file for custody under a divorce or paternity action and establish a parenting plan and argue that the other parent does not have the child's best interests in mind. However, simply having others over absent any other factors is not grounds for removing the children from the other parent. You will want to consult with a local attorney about how to best protect your rights when filing a custody action.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Thurmond Law Firm LLC
Linwood Professional Building
204 West Linwood Boulevard
Kansas City, MO 64111
Telephone: (816) 895-2858