Free Consultation: (251) 241-5234Tap to Call This Lawyer
Kevin M Ryan

Kevin M Ryan

Call me. I'll BE there for you.
  • Bankruptcy, Collections, Foreclosure Defense ...
  • Alabama
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I have practiced in the area of consumer and business bankruptcy law for more than 20 years. I meet directly with every client and provide a free office consultation. I believe that this is the best way to learn your situation and to determine the best course of action with respect to every client's unique set of circumstances.

Practice Areas
  • Bankruptcy
  • Collections
  • Foreclosure Defense
  • Personal Injury
  • Real Estate Law
  • Consumer Law
  • Free Consultation
    We accept debit cards. Credit cards are accepted in limited circumstances, as long as payor is verified as not being a party who is filing bankruptcy. A client cannot pay initial bankruptcy fees using a credit card.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    I am not able to accept client credit card payments for bankruptcy fees unless a person who is not a party to your case uses their own credit card to pay legal fees.
  • Contingent Fees
    applies to personal injury, wrongful death and collection matters
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    We guarantee all of our fees. We do not operate on open, running fee agreements in bankruptcy matters unless pre-arranged with client for special matters or complex cases involving litigation. In come cases, creditors can be ordered to pay legal fees for violating certain consumer and bankruptcy laws.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
6th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
licensed real estate sales associate
Jason Will Real Estate
- Current
Kevin Ryan is a real estate sales agent licensed in the State of Alabama and is a principal member of Ryan Realty Group, LLC
Ryan Legal Services, Inc.
- Current
Legal practice focused entirely on consumer bankruptcy matters; Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 cases.
West Shore Property Management Inc.
residential property investment and management company
Cleveland State University
J.D. | Law
Cleveland State University Logo
College of Wooster
B.A. | History
Activities: Football, Phi Sigma Alpha
Placeholder image for education.
Div. III NCAC All Conference Team ( Defense : Outside Linebacker) 1993; Captain; Most Inspirational Senior Award
College of Wooster Football
Professional Associations
American Bankruptcy Institute
Attorney Member
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Mobile Bar Association
Attorney Member
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys (NACBA)
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Bankruptcy Institute
Websites & Blogs
Ryan Legal Services, Inc.
Ryan Legal Services, Inc. Attorney Bio
Ryan Legal Services, Inc Blog
Legal Answers
65 Questions Answered

Q. I filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2016 and was dismissed in August Currently in 13 can it be converted or reduced
A: You must first determine if you received a Discharge Order in the prior Chapter 7 case. If you did not receive a Discharge Order in that case and it was dismissed without a Discharge Order, then you may be able to convert your Ch 13 to Chapter 7. You will need to sit down with your attorney and determine what assets could be at risk of being liquidated if you convert to Chapter 7. You must also determine if you have any new creditors, and if your income will be low enough for you to amend your budget and means test to demonstrate you are legally eligible to proceed under a converted case to Chapter 7. You should not make any move until you go over these issues with your attorney. You also may be able to file a motion under 11 U.S.C. 1329 to amend the confirmed Ch 13 plan to lower the payments, based upon a material change in your income, or a material increase in your household expenses ( or both).
Q. My husband and I are filing chapter 13, will we be able to keep our tax refund? We are in Alabama, and have 4 children.
A: If you owe the IRS for a prior year(s)' taxes, the IRS can offset your current post-bankruptcy filing tax return even though you are in a Chapter 13. Once they offset your tax return, they are required to amend their Proof of Claim in the Ch 13 case to lower the amount owed, based on the amount offset from your current tax return and applied to the prior year. If you do not have any prior year(s)' taxes due, it is possible that a child support agency can offset your tax return if you fall behind on current child support or spousal support ( "alimony") after the Chapter 13 case is filed. Other than those issues, in some Districts, the Chapter 13 can require you to turn over a portion of your income tax return ( Earned Income Credit is exempt in all cases) to apply to pay down your Chapter 13 Plan. Currently in the Southern District of Alabama ( Mobile AL), the Trustee does not demand a turnover of tax return funds on the basis that it is "ongoing future income" as some other Districts do .
Q. My creditcard company(Discover)is preparing to sue me.Can I be sued(wages garnished,etc) if they are unable to find me?
A: After a reasonable attempt to locate you for personal services of the Summons and Complaint, and after filing an Affidavit with the Court verifying that you are not deployed on United States Military Service, the creditor can file a Motion with the Court for permission / authorization to "serve" you via Publication, and then move forward against you, absentia. You'll find out about the judgment later when the creditor garnishes your wages or attaches your bank account ( a bank attachment post judgment does not require any advance notice)
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Ryan Legal Services, Inc.
209 N Joachim St
Mobile, AL 36603
Telephone: (251) 241-5234
Fax: (877) 499-5130
Ryan Legal Services, Inc.
22011 Highway 59
Robertsdale, AL 36567
Telephone: (251) 431-6012
Fax: (251) 431-6006