Free Consultation: (903) 871-1714Tap to Call This Lawyer
Kacie Marie Czapla

Kacie Marie Czapla

  • Tax Law, Business Law, Bankruptcy ...
  • Eastern District of Texas, Texas
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I am a tax attorney and CPA with a varied work experience. I spent multiple years working for PricewaterhouseCoopers in Houston in Mergers and Acquisitions. I also spent a couple of years teaching tax accounting at SFA; I still teach part-time at TJC. Although I no longer represent the Exxons of the world, my attention to detail and knowledge of the Internal Revenue Code is substantial. In my current practice, I focus on tax and business planning, estate planning, bankruptcy, and property issues in divorce.

I was raised in North Louisiana, but as a graduate of White Oak High School, I have East Texas roots. I graduated from the University of North Texas with a degree in economics, then attended the University of Wyoming for law school. People always ask me, "How did you end up in the North Pole?" Short story really--I worked for a Senate Committee and the Chairman, Mike Enzi was from Wyoming. Meeting him and so many other Wyoming staffers (including my husband) convinced me to enroll at UW. Immediately after graduation, I obtained a Masters in Tax Law from the most prestigious and recognized tax school in the country--the University of Florida. Although I was born into a family of Tigers, I became a Gator!

Practice Areas
    Tax Law
    Business Taxes, Criminal Tax Litigation, Estate Tax Planning, Income Taxes, International Taxes, Payroll Taxes, Property Taxes, Sales Taxes, Tax Appeals, Tax Audits, Tax Planning
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
    Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, Debt Relief
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
  • Free Consultation
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Call for details
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Eastern District of Texas
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
State Bar of Texas
ID Number: 24078391
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
US Tax Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
Professional Experience
Adjunct Professor
Tyler Junior College
- Current
- Current
Senior Lecturer/ Professional in residence
Stephen F Austin State University
Adjunct Professor
UT Tyler
Associate Attorney
Gardner Firm PLLC
Tax Senior
PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
Risk Analyst
Bank of America
US Senate Committee on Health Education Labor and Pensions
University of Florida
LL.M. | Taxation
Honors: Book Award in Advanced International Tax
University of Florida Logo
University of Wyoming College of Law
Honors: Book Award in Mining Law and Oil and Gas Law; Scholarship Recipient;
University of Wyoming College of Law Logo
University of North Texas at Dallas College of Law
B.A. | Economics
Honors: Scholarship Recipient
Placeholder image for education.
Leadership Academy graduate
State Bar of Texas Tax Section
Professional Associations
Tax Section State Bar of Texas
Placeholder image for professional associations.
State Bar of Texas  # 24078391
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Involuntary Conversion of a Principal Residence
The Tax Adviser
Speaking Engagements
Consolidated Returns
Basics of the Foreign Tax Credit
Choice of Entity from a Tax Perspective
Smith County Bar Association
Certified Public Accountant
Texas Board of Accountancy
Legal Answers
7 Questions Answered

Q. I co-own a property in Massachusetts. The other owner is buying me out. Are there tax issues I should be aware of?
A: If the property is used as a personal residence you may be able to exclude part of the gain under Section 121.
Q. Do I need to incorporate as a nonprofit to market my business as one when I won't be accepting donations or grants?
A: If you want to hold yourself out as a non-profit, then yes, you must be a non-profit. To become a non-profit, you must (1) create an entity with the Secretary of state and (2) file a 501(c)(3) application with the IRS. You cannot do this without an attorney and/or a CPA. Try to find an attorney who is also a CPA. That makes the process easier.
Q. Can an LLC's donation of a service be tax deductible?
A: Services are not an eligible deduction for the charitable contribution deduction. You would have to contribute cash or property. If the winning bid is greater than the value of the item bid on, that person may receive a charitable deduction for the extra piece, BUT there are many many hoops for them to jump through. Their CPA would have to answer that question.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
202 W Erwin St
Suite 200
Tyler, TX 75702
Telephone: (903) 871-1714
Monday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed (Today)
Sunday: Closed