Free Consultation: (831) 275-1002Tap to Call This Lawyer
Julie King

Julie King

Estate Planning | Business Law
  • Business Law, Estate Planning
  • California
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

With 30+ years’ experience, Julie King practices law with the highest standards of ethics and professionalism. She is easy to speak with and talks in plain English (not legalese). Julie handles a wide variety of estate planning and business matters including: (1) ESTATE PLANNING - wills and trusts, health care directives, powers of attorney, special needs trusts, pet trusts, grant deeds and more; and (2) BUSINESS LAW - corporation/LLC/partnership formation, annual meeting minutes, corporate records, contracts, mergers and acquisitions, and employee training.

Julie served as in-house counsel to major international corporations, including Toshiba America, where she worked for 15 years and hired lawyers throughout the world. She has been a "client", so she understands clients' needs in a way many lawyers do not. Contact Julie today and see the difference!

Call or email today for a FREE initial consultation! (831) 275-1002

Practice Areas
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
    Estate Planning
    Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
Additional Practice Areas
  • Form Corporations, LLCs and Partnerships
  • Business Transactions & Contracts
  • Trusts, Wills, Powers of Attorney, Health Care Directives
  • Real Estate Grant Deeds and Related Documentation
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Pierce King, P.C. bills hourly or charges a flat fee, depending on the type of matter. On occasion, Pierce King may enter into an alternative fee arrangement to accommodate clients in special circumstances.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Founding Attorney
Pierce King, P.C., a Professional Law Corporation
- Current
BUSINESS LAW - Negotiating and drafting a variety of complex business contracts, including an international Private Cloud Infrastructure and Management Services Agreement and a Funding Agreement involving the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. - Forming C and S Corporations, LLCs and Partnerships, and drafting documents related thereto, such as Buy-Sell and Operating Agreements, Bylaws, Annual Meeting Minutes and Board Resolutions. ESTATE PLANNING - Drafting a variety of wills and trusts (including Revocable Living Trusts, Special Needs Trusts and Pet Trusts), Health Care Directives and Durable Powers of Attorney, as well as Grant Deeds and other documentation relating to funding trusts. - Counseling clients in Trust Administration matters - Preparing, filing and representing clients in Probate actions
Director, Contracts and Intellectual Property
CTB/McGraw-Hill LLC
Assistant General Counsel
Toshiba America
Julie was an in-house counsel for Toshiba for 15 years and handled a wide variety of matters for the corporation. She helped the Human Resources Dept. with employment matters and policy drafting, the Sales Dept. with contracts, the Finance Dept. with guaranties, and anyone else in the company who needed assistance in any area of law. She would be honored to do the same for you. Call today!
Univ of California at Los Angeles
Undergraduate Degree
Placeholder image for education.
Loyola Law School
Law Degree
Placeholder image for education.
Monterey Herald Reader's Poll
Monterey Herald Reader's Poll
Monterey Herald Reader's Poll
Woman of Distinction in the Legal Community
Los Angeles Bar Association
Volunteer of the Month (Awarded multiple times.)
Monterey Peninsula Chamber of Commerce
Professional Associations
IMPOWER (Businesswomen inspiring each other and helping our community)
Vice President of the Board of Directors
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Monterey Peninsula Chamber of Commerce
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Monterey County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
California State Bar  # 132813
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Central Coast Human Resources Association
Member of the Board of Directors
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Monterey County Business Council
Member of the Board of Directors
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Orange County Bar Association, Corporate Counsel Section
Co-Chair, Corporate Counsel Section
Activities: Co-Chair, Corporate Counsel Section (multiple years)
Placeholder image for professional associations.
License to Practice Law
California Bar Association
Websites & Blogs
Pierce King Law Website
AVVO - Lawyer Ratings
Legal Answers
279 Questions Answered
Q. Recourse trust not completed as requested.
A: Whether language is contained in the body of a document or in an attachment that is incorporated into the body makes no difference from a legal standpoint. It’s all part of the same document. Yes, your lawyer should have honored your request to draft the document the way you wanted it. But you’re unlikely to find a lawyer who will do what you want because the bottom line is that the change will not make a difference legally. Perhaps try a paralegal or a new lawyer right out of law school who is trying to build a business. Best wishes!
Q. I asked escrow to distribute funds separately, but they said funds could only be released to the trust.
A: I will start by saying this: You really need to get the assistance of an estate planning lawyer because it does not appear that you understand how trusts work or what your mother's trust says. First, I don't know any lawyer who would write a trust with four people named as successor trustees. I hope your mother did not get her trust online and write that provision herself. Having four trustees is asking for either a convoluted nightmare or a lawsuit. I often see two people acting as co-trustees causing problems. Four is double the trouble. If there are four successor trustees, it's possible that all four of you will need to agree on every single transaction and sign each piece of paper. It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that you understand the money in the trust does NOT belong to the four children. It belongs SOLELY to your mother. The Successor Trustees have duties set out in the law that must be fulfilled. The most important duty is to take your mother's assets and take care of her healthcare, housing, and all other bills. The money is NOT to be taken by the kids just because they feel they will inherit it one day. That's NOT how trusts work. No one is entitled to any of your mother's assets until four (4) things have happened: (1) your mother has died; (2) all of your mother's bills have been paid in full and her final taxes have been paid to both the state and federal governments; (3) it has been determined that no probate is required for assets outside of the trust; and (3) the successor trustee(s) has/have been reimbursed for all money paid out of pocket for your mother's bills after producing receipts. There are many more steps, but those are universally true for almost all trusts. IF there is any money left after all of that has been paid, THEN whoever is listed in the trust gets whatever percentage the trust says you get. Taking it early is seen as stealing your mother's assets. So, the fact that the kids are seeking to get your mother's assets while she is still alive is incredibly troublesome. If anyone takes your mother's assets for their own use before the proper time, they can be sued for Elder Financial Abuse, which is why I have some very serious concerns about your situation. Again, it is obvious from your question that neither your brother nor you understand how a trust works or what your mother's trust says. Not knowing either of those things can get all of you into a lot of legal trouble. Go see an estate planning attorney right away -- before you get yourself into a lot of hot water.
Q. Quick claim deed left to mom by her father and both have passed.but her brother lived in house until his death he paid
A: There is an area of law called “squatter’s rights”, which allows people who continuously live by themselves in vacant property for a certain period of time to apply for ownership. Each state has different rules and requirements to gain ownership. It’s hard to tell if these laws apply to your situation, but they may not. Part of the answer will depend on how your mother owned title to the property, i.e., in joint tenancy, tenants in common, community property, a married (or single) woman as her sole and separate property, etc. If title is NOT in joint tenancy or community property with the right of survivorship, then title likely doesn’t affect ownership at this point. The next question would be: Did your mom have a Will or Trust saying to whom she is leaving her real estate and other assets? If so, it’s much more likely that the person or people named in the Will or Trust would own the property. If your mom did not have a Will or Trust, you should immediately see a Probate Attorney to file a Petition with the Probate Court. At the end if the probate process, a judge would then order the property to go to your mom’s spouse, if she had one, or to her kids, if your mom wasn’t married. Best wishes!
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Monterey, CA
2100 Garden Road, Suite G
Monterey, CA 93940
Telephone: (831) 275-1002
Fax: (831) 222-3042
Monday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed (Today)
Notice: Meetings available after hours and on Saturdays by appointment. Meetings are in person (wearing masks, socially distanced, etc.); via Zoom, Skype or FaceTime; or conference call. Contact us today to set an appointment for a FREE initial consultation!
Newport Beach, CA
1621 Santiago Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660
Telephone: (949) 689-2012
Fax: (949) 258-8465
Notice: Meetings by appointment. Meetings may be in person (using masks and appropriate social distancing); via Zoom, Skype or FaceTime; or a conference call. Contact us today to schedule a FREE initial consultation!