Free Consultation: (317) 969-8000Tap to Call This Lawyer
JR Emerson

JR Emerson

Emerson Law LLC
  • Divorce, DUI & DWI, Criminal Law...
  • Indiana, U.S.D.C., Northern District of Indiana, U.S.D.C., Southern District of Indiana
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media
Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • DUI & DWI
  • Criminal Law
  • Personal Injury
  • Traffic Tickets
Additional Practice Areas
  • Child Custody
  • Child Support
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S.D.C., Northern District of Indiana
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S.D.C., Southern District of Indiana
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Emerson Law LLC
Indiana University - Indiana University-Bloomington
Honors: Dean's List
Indiana University - Indiana University-Bloomington Logo
Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
Honors: Dean's List Dean's Tutorial Society
Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law Logo
Professional Associations
Indianapolis Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Indiana State Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Indiana Trial Lawyers Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
What to Do If Arrested for Drunk Driving in Indiana
Websites & Blogs
Indianapolis Car, Truck and Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Indianapolis Personal Injury Attorneys
Legal Answers
20 Questions Answered

Q. I filed for divorce and court was set. If my husband signs the papers before court will it be finalized before court?
A: Like most legal answers, it depends. If he signs "the papers" you will both need to sign the documents to waive the final hearing, and the settlement agreement. Besides that, those papers and some others will have to be filed with the Court before everything is finalized. I suggest you contact a local divorce attorney to discuss your options if you haven't already done so. Good Luck. JR Emerson, Indianapolis Divorce Attorney
Q. How many over nights is the father able to get?
A: You can negotiate any number of nights with the mother, I am assuming that she has primary custody. In general, the minimum is 1x per week, and every other weekend. If you want to spend more time with your child you can work with the mother or tell the Judge that you want more time. If you do go to court you will want to show the Judge why spending more time with you is in the child's best interest. Speak to an attorney to learn more. Best of luck. JR Emerson Indianapolis Divorce Attorney
Q. Must divorce attorney be from my county of residence?
A: Absolutely not. You can hire any lawyer you wish. He or she just needs to be licensed to practice in your state. JR Emerson JR Emerson
Q. Can my room mate have a gun in the house when I have a domestic violence record? I am now divorced from my spouse
A: The question is not whether your roommate can have a gun in the house, the question is can you be in a house with a gun located on the premises? You will need to look at your DV Order and see if you are Brady disqualified or not and/or for how long.
Q. Non-custodial parent was allowed to put child on taxes. Can I ask for proof that refund is put in savings for child?
A: Like most legal answers "it depends." If the Order did not specify that you be given proof then he/she is under no obligation to provide you with any such proof. Furthermore, if the judge did not Order the refund to be deposited into a saving account, then it is unlikely that such a deposit must be made. However, if the court did Order any refund to be deposited and those funds were NOT deposited, and the non-custodial parent refuses to make the deposit, then only the court can force compliance.
Q. I have a warrant fta probation misdameanor i completed 28 days treatment and 3 month recovery home i dont want jail
A: You may not have to serve any jail time, but it all depends upon the circumstances of your case and the Judge. However, you need to speak with an attorney about the specifics of your case so that together you can determine the best path forward. Congratulations on your recovery.
Q. What should I do if my ex did not complying with prior court order?
A: If he is not complying with a Court Order that is obviously not a good thing. In order to enforce or make him comply the court will need to be made aware of his failure. Ultimately a Judge may find him in contempt of court. Typically contempt arises when one party fails or refuses to comply with the terms of a court-approved "agreement" between the parties or a court order. To be found in contempt the court must find that the person willfully disobeyed the order in question. Speak with the attorney that represented you in this matter. If you represented yourself, then find an attorney who can help you with this matter.
Q. Divorce decree in place with alimony. Ex & I have came to a single payment does this need to go back before a judge?
A: If the Judge issued an Order, and you and your wife have worked out some other arrangement, then the Judge's Order should be changed to reflect your new "arrangement". If you fail to follow a Judicial Order you may find yourself facing contempt charges. Speak to an attorney to amend the order.
Q. My gf and I are not married but we lived together for 4 years with our 3 year old, we split up, what are my rights?
A: You have legal rights regarding your daughter. You need to speak with a family law attorney concerning Child Custody, Child Visitation, as well as Child Support as soon as possible in order to reach an agreement with her or to seek a Court Order defining your rights and responsibilities. The facts of each case make unique, however, you do have rights under Indiana law but you may need a court order to enforce those rights.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Emerson Law LLC
Main Office
3091 E. 98th St
Suite 180
Indianapolis, IN 46280
Telephone: (317) 969-8000
Emerson Law LLC
By Appt
4582 Northwest Plaza West
Suite 7
Zionsville, IN 46077
Telephone: (317) 721-5297
Emerson Law LLC
By Appt
600 E Carmel Dr
Suite 105
Carmel, IN 46032
Telephone: (317) 434-3136