Free Consultation: (303) 402-6717Tap to Call This Lawyer
Jonathan Greenlee

Jonathan Greenlee

  • Criminal Law, DUI & DWI, Domestic Violence...
  • Colorado
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Jonathan Greenlee is an experienced criminal defense attorney who has represented clients in cases ranging from minor traffic offenses and DUIs to homicides and sexual assaults. He as obtained favorable results at trial and through litigation and mitigation.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Domestic Violence
  • White Collar Crime
  • Free Consultation
    Free phone consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Colorado Supreme Court
ID Number: 46591
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
University of Colorado - Boulder
J.D. (2013) | Law
Activities: National Trial Competition Mock Trial Team
University of Colorado - Boulder Logo
John Brown University
B.A. (2010) | History
Honors: Presidential Honors, summa cum laude
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
State Bar of Colorado # 46591
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Legal Answers
15 Questions Answered

Q. Speeding ticket with wrong registration address and possible non-protocol officer behavior.
A: Opening the car door is a non-issue, as you only received a speeding ticket. Even if this was found to be an unlawful search, there is no evidence that could be suppressed related to your speeding charge. If you are living in state but are an out of state student (paying out of state tuition), you do not need to get Colorado plates or a Colorado license. If you are working in Colorado, you are required to change your plates and license. Sounds like there was a misunderstanding on whether you were working in Colorado or an out of state student. Regardless, the officer being rude does nothing to the ticket. For the incorrect information, it is a little unclear as to why that happened. If your car is improperly registered, that certainly would not help your case. If the ticket was mistakenly written for a completely different person, it may be worth your time and money to have an attorney review it before deciding if you want pay the ticket and take the points.
Q. Can a juror in one criminal trial be on another jury in another criminal trial in a different county at the same time?
A: There is nothing that would automatically prevent a juror from serving on your jury simply because they have a pending case in another county or make this a conflict of interest. Generally speaking, the juror should not be talking on the phone during deliberations (which is likely why the other prosecutor felt the need to disclose the conversation to the judge) but so long as the juror did discuss your case with the other prosecutor and did not lie and misrepresent having a pending case in another county during jury selection, there is nothing here would rise to the level a juror issue that could be the basis for an appeal.
Q. How can you be convicted in a crime if there was no victim can the district attorney stand up and say that she is victim
A: For this type of charge, there would never be a "victim"- the "victim" is the state, as the prosecutor said. There are many crimes like this- a DUI without an accident, for example, does not have a person who is a victim, the victim is the state as a whole, represented by the prosecution. The language from your PSI is just probation doing their due diligence in attempting to obtain any victim impact statement, as required by law. If there is no victim, there will be nothing for them to collect. A red card could explain why you have a certain number of plants, and I would assume that you having a red card and permission to grow that number of plants was raised at trial. Having a red card does not disprove an attempt to distribute, however, as that charge is not based on just having a certain number of plants or weight of marijuana. Intent to distribute would require more than just evidence of you having a number of plants- there would need to be evidence of activity that supported a plan for distribution, such as scales, ledges, numerous individual packages, or attempts or plans to sell to others.
Q. What if the land wasn't occupied?
A: 2nd Degree Burglary under C.R.S. 18-4-203 requires entry into a " building or occupied structure." “Occupied structure” means any area, place, facility, or enclosure which, for particular purposes, may be used by persons or animals upon occasion, whether or not it is a “building,” and which is in fact occupied by a person or animal, and known by the defendant to be thus occupied at the time of the alleged offense. “Building” means a structure which has the capacity to contain, and is designed for the shelter of man, animals, or property, and includes a ship, trailer, sleeping car, airplane, or other vehicle or place adapted for overnight accommodations of persons or animals, or for carrying on of business therein, whether or not a person or animal is actually present. If the charge is related to a "building", it does not matter if it was unoccupied.
Q. Hi I'm trying to find out what steps or documents I need to file for ineffective assistance of counsel for my husband
A: If you can afford to hire an attorney, I would recommend doing so. Your question is listed under Colorado, so my answer is based on the forms you need to complete in Colorado only. If you cannot afford an attorney, go to, click on Self Help/Forms and then Criminal, Post-Conviction Relief, and Forms, there is a free stock PDF "PETITION FOR POSTCONVICTION RELIEF PURSUANT TO CRIM. P. 35(c)". Your husband needs to complete this form and submit it to the court and check the box requesting a court appointed lawyer. You will need to submit another for (JDF 208, commonly known as a public defender application, available on the same website) with the petition.
Q. If you are convicted of an attemted sexual contact misdemeanor 18-3-404 do you have to register as a sexual offender?
A: Yes, you will be required to register as a sex offender. If you have a prior conviction for an unlawful sexual offense you will be required to register for life. If you are convicted of the Class 1 Misdemeanor charge of Unlawful Sexual Contact 18-3-404, you can petition to de-register after 10 years. If you are convicted of a lesser misdemeanor sex offense, such as the M2-attempt Unlawful Sexual Contact, you can petition to de-register in 5 years.
Q. I am on probation in Colorado. I also was sleeping out of my car. I couldn't handle it left with no permission to ohio
A: If you left the state without permission from probation, they will file a motion to revoke your probation and a warrant for your arrest. If you have finished almost everything, they may be willing to set a bond you can post on the warrant and let you finish probation successful, or terminate you unsuccessfully with a minor punitive sanction, like a few days in jail. If your PO has not realized you are gone yet and issued a warrant, you can come back and finish your requirements. If they have issued a warrant already, you will need to turn yourself in, bond, and deal with whatever the repercussions are.
Q. Is it legal to pass car on interstate using shoulder if the driver in front slams on brakes to avoid collision?
A: If you only drove on the shoulder to avoid an accident, you should not receive a ticket. It is fairly common to see cars swerve into an open shoulder to avoid being rear-ended on I-25 in traffic that is sadly heavily populated by drivers like the one you described. If the other driver accelerated to rear-end you once you moved back into the left lane, it would certainly seem like he was at fault. That being said, the outcome here will depend on what other drivers/witnesses say and who the police believe. Mistakes do happen and eyewitnesses get things wrong. If someone else describes the same situation differently, it is possible you do end up with a ticket or found at fault for the accident. If what you say here is the version the police decide is true, it sounds like you did nothing wrong.
Q. What are my chances of having domestic violence and child abuse wothout injury dropped if there is no evidence of both?
A: At this point, you have been charged, so at a minimum the police determined there was probable cause for a criminal offense. There are a number of ways child abuse can be charged without requiring proof of any injury, and a domestic violence tag on a charge (domestic violence is not a charge but a "sentencing enhancer" that can be applied to other charges) does not require any proof of injury. That fact that there was no injury is therefore irrelevant. It is hard to say with such a general assertion that there is "no evidence", as often there is more of a dispute as to what the evidence means than "no" evidence if a person has been charged. Clearly the police believe they had some evidence (even if they were wrong) if they decided to charge you. Regardless, in Colorado, once case is charged with a domestic violence tag, the prosecution is barred by law from dismissing or pleading to a non-domestic violence offense unless they do not believe they have enough evidence even properly raise the allegation to a jury. Even an accusation that is later recanted with no supporting physical evidence will be enough for them to go forward with the charges in most cases.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Jurdem LLC
820 Pearl St Suite H
Boulder, CO 80302
Telephone: (303) 402-6717