Free Consultation: (702) 343-0494Tap to Call This Lawyer
Jonathan Craig Reed

Jonathan Craig Reed

Call about discount on probate and personal injury fees
  • Maritime Law, Personal Injury, Probate...
  • California, Nevada
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

We represent people hurt in car accidents, boat accidents, truck accidents, and motorcycle accidents. Four years ago we began a policy of charging only 25% instead of the usual one third (33.33%) or 35% or 40% to represent accident victims if there was a police report that blamed the other side and not them. This discount fee, which you don't pay unless you recover, has been a big success for us and our clients and results in them putting more money in their pockets than they would if they had signed up with a lawyer for the traditional higher fee. You save because we are not spending part of your fee on expensive billboards and tv ads. This discount fee does not increase if we have to file suit or try your case to get you fair compensation. We also represent victims in other injury cases such as defective products, fall cases, and swimming pool drownings or near drownings; however, in those cases we charge a 40% fee. We also offer low cost, discount fees for uncontested probate through out the state of Nevada. See our probate website, for a detailed discussion of fees we charge for uncontested probates.

Practice Areas
  • Maritime Law
  • Personal Injury
  • Probate
  • Products Liability
Additional Practice Areas
  • Car, Boat, Truck, Motorcycle and Pedestrian Accidents
  • Vaccine Injury
  • Free Consultation
    Call me and I'll tell you if I think I can be of help.
  • Contingent Fees
    For personal injury, legal malpractice, products liability, boating accidents, wrongful death and brain injury. We offer a low discount 25% contingency fee for favorable police report accident cases (car, boat, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, etc. Favorable police report means that a police report cites someone else for causing the injury and does not cite you for being careless or violating a law that contributed to the accident). For all other personal injury cases, including legal malpractice, our fees are either 33.33% or 40%.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    See our website for probate fees. We consider our firm the high quality, low cost, discount, affordable, Nevada law firm for uncontested probates and we do uncontested probates throughout the State of Nevada. We selectively accept some will or trust contests on a contingency fee basis; otherwise we handle such cases on an hourly rate. See
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
25% fee if police cite other driver and not you
Reed & Mansfield
- Current
Four person Las Vegas law firm handling a variety of matters; I handle primarily car, boat, truck and motorcycle accidents, legal malpractice and probate.
Solo Practitioner
Law Offices of Jonathan C. Reed
Las Vegas law practice with heavy emphasis on personal injury, but also wrote a large number of trusts.
Monsey, Andrews & Reed
General practice of law with emphasis on Personal Injury at this Las Vegas law firm.
Associate Attorney
Crockett & Myers
Practice limited to personal injury at this Las Vegas law firm.
Associate Attorney
Rogers, Monsey, Woodbury & Bergreen
General practice of Law in Las Vegas, NV, with emphasis on personal injury
Judicial Law Clerk
Supreme Court of Wyoming
Law Clerk to Justice Robert Rose
University of Wyoming College of Law
J.D. | Law
Honors: Graduated with Honors, Land Editor of the Land and Water Law Review
University of Wyoming College of Law Logo
University of Wyoming
M.S. | Zoology
University of Wyoming Logo
10 Best Client Satisfaction Award
American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys
Top Car Accident Attorney
Desert Companion Magazine (KNPR)
Top 100 Lawyers
Top Lawyers in Nevada
Greenspun Media Group
Highest Rating: 10/10
4.4 BV rating
Professional Associations
State Bar of Nevada, Trust and Probate Section
Chair, Publication Committee
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
State Bar of Nevada
Chair, Publications and CLE, Probate Section
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Nevada Justice Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Clark County District Court
Court Appointed Part-Time Arbitrator
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Las Vegas Rotary West
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Medical Malpractice in Nevada
Nevada Lawyer (State Bar Journal)
TMJ Syndrome: The Cryptic Injury You and Your Client May Overlook
Texas Trial Lawyers Forum
Administrative Searches and Seizures After Barlow's and Tyler
14 Land and Water Law Review 207
Admissibility of Polygraph Data When Both Parties Have Stipulated that it Will be Admissible
13 Land and Water Law Review 613
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
161 Questions Answered

Q. My husband passed away in June 2019. His cousin passed 27 hours prior and named him as a beneficiary of her trust.
A: Some Trusts and Wills provide that a beneficiary must survive the writer of the Trust or Will by a certain number of days to receive the inheritance. However, if the cousin's trust lacks such a provision, your husband's gift under the cousin's trust goes to his estate. The successor trustee of the cousin's trust should be able to give the inheritance w/o a probate proceeding to your husband's estate. Technically, this would then require a probate procedure to get the money to you or you and whoever else are beneficiaries of your husband's estate plans. Your husband's trust, designed to avoid probate, unfortunately, does not cover assets that come into his possession after his death. That is why you did both trusts and pour-over Wills. I know this sounds complicated. If your husband was a Nevada resident when he passed, I can explain this without a fee if you care to call.
Q. Whose estate/ probate laws would apply for a DE resident who died and left a $40,000 checking account in a NJ bank ?
A: As a general rule throughout the United States, what is known as personal property (such as bank accounts) are probated in the state the Decedent was a resident regardless of which they the personal property is located in. So, yes, the Delaware probate court has jurisdiction of the NJ bank account of the decedent who died a resident of DE. As to the specifics of how a "short certificate" works, you will need an answer from a DE lawyer.
Q. Deed Upon Death
A: Probably the Clark County Coroner has secured the condo to give the estate a reasonable time to remove personal possessions and look for things like bank statements and safety deposit keys. I think your first step would be to call the Coroner, explain your interest, and ask how long the Coroner will secure the condo for. The Coroner's office might explain that to the family, or might not. You will need to get the Decedent's death certificate and file an Affidavit of Death of Grantor of Transfer on Death Deed. That will show you ownership when the Assessor's website is changed to reflect the new ownership. However, I would proceed cautiously here. If the family does not advise that they have removed everything they want I think you should consult with a lawyer as to your next step. This is not an issue I would be interested in handling.
Q. Mother passed away intestate, has a surviving spouse that has been put into a nursing facility. He has one daughter,
A: I don't think so. This answer is based on Nevada law. There might be unusual circumstances that make for a different answer.
Q. SO if the vesting states JT or RS. Then ALL of the property of the deceased, goes to the surviving spouse?
A: If a particular item of real estate is owned by husband and wife and the vesting is JT or RS, then in the absence of unusual circumstances, such as claims of fraud or undue influence in changing the title, the surviving spouse should own that particular item of real estate, subject to whatever liens are attaching to that item of real estate.
Q. Hypothetical. The step-father, dies. He has kids from first marriage. they are all over 30...
A: If there is no Will, the law of who gets what without a Will (intestate succession) applies. This law does not take into account the nature of the relationship between the Decedent and any child or spouse. If there is no Will, and if the gross value of the estate is over $100,000, 1/3 goes to his current spouse and the remaining 2/3 to his children--an equal share to each living child and if he had a child who has died and left children of their own, then those kids get the share the dead child would have gotten. If there is a Will that doesn't mention some kids, but does mention others, one would really have to examine the language of the Will to determine if the kids from the earlier marriage can claim they are entitled to a presumption that they were inadvertently omitted. But regardless, when probate is initiated all people who would inherit in the absence of a Will (called the intestate heirs) must be notified of the probate proceeding in case any one of them wants to challenge the Will being offered to the Court.
Q. Vesting on property is NS, (no status). Please explain. Does surviving spouse get the property?
A: NS means that when the owner dies the property must be probated. If there are 2 or more owners, such as husband and wife, if one of them dies his or her share must be probated. To avoid probate when one of two owners dies the vesting should read either JT for joint tenant or RS for right of survivorship.
Q. Thank you. I’ll zoom thru to points. Father passes away 1/2012. Sister comes out as executrix, 2nd Sister & her
A: Nevada law requires that a person in possession of the original copy of a Will should file it with the court in the Decedent's county of residence within 30 days of the death. However, if all assets of the Decedent will pass outside the Will (because they are in a trust or because they are in payable on death accounts etc.) then there is no real point in filing the Will and some lawyers advise doing so and some advise not filing the Will? For failure to file the Will be become a serious matter there would have to be property passing under the Will and then only if it were passing in a different manner than prescribed by the Will.
Q. I have a Nevada client whose deceased husband's Will names a daughter but the wife can't find her.
A: There is nothing wrong with a Nevada licensed lawyer asking a probate question on this forum but if you are not a Nevada licensed lawyer you are practicing law without a license in Nevada if you have a Nevada probate client. If a valid Will makes a gift to a person, unless the Court is satisfied that the Will Beneficiary died before the person whose Will is being probated died, and the Will Beneficiary cannot be located, then the Court will want the Will gift turned over to the Clerk of Court who will turn it over to the State's Unclaimed Property division. If there is a valid Will making a gift to a Beneficiary, the Beneficiary doesn't get cut out just because of some publication. There are heir search services that offer an initial search for a low price of something like $70, but heir searches can get expensive so the personal representative has to make a judgment as to whether it is worthwhile to do an heir search.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
6655 W Sahara Ave
Las Vegas, NV 89146
Telephone: (702) 343-0494
Fax: (702) 222-1644