Jon R. Boyd

Jon R. Boyd

Partner, CottenSchmidt, LLP; over 40 yrs experience in contested Family Law
  • Divorce, Family Law, Probate
  • Texas
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ABlawgsearchSocial MediaResponsive Law

Hi, I'm Jon R. Boyd.

If you need a Family Law/Divorce attorney, let my experience, knowledge, loyalty and aggressiveness work for you!

I have practiced Family Law/Divorce for 40 years in all the various courts in the DFW metroplex as well as many other towns and cities across Texas and have been a fierce advocate for fair and equal treatment for Fathers and Men's Rights in divorce and family law matters for the last 25 of those years. After many years of solo practice in Dallas/W. Plano/Addison, I have taken a position as a Partner at CottenSchmidt, LLP, in Ft. Worth. I still accept cases anywhere.

Why you should hire me:

1. RESPONSIVE SERVICE- My team and I provide excellent client service and constant communication. We promptly return calls, answer emails, copy clients on everything and keep clients updated regularly on their case status.
2. REAL EXPERIENCE- I have personally handled well over a thousand high conflict, complex cases to conclusion, most of which were contested and required temporary and final trials, including numerous jury trials. I am happy to go to trial for you.
3. OPTION TO SETTLE- The Courts encourage and often mandate settlement and I encourage it as well. I am a skilled and detailed negotiator, creating leverage before mediation. I will guide you on what you should agree upon and how the agreement should be worded.
4. TEAM SUPPORT: I have the support of a team of associate attorneys and staff to assist on your case.
5. FLEX LOCATIONS: I will also meet with you in Plano or Granbury if you wish.
6. PERSONAL EXPERIENCE: I, too, have personally experienced the struggle of obtaining equal parenting rights and significant access to my own children in a divorce. I can relate and guide you.

Call: 817-338-4500
See me at and

My Consultation Fee is $100 for an hour.

I also give quick 5 min. calls at no charge to give you a fee quote once you tell me a quick overview of your case.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Probate
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    We accept all major credit cards; good personal checks; certified funds; cash.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    My initial consultation fee is $100. for one hour. My usual hourly rate is $400 per hour, adjusted for veterans and on case by case basis. For a Fee Estimate Only without detailed legal advice, I will speak with you for 5-10 min at no charge.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State Bar of Texas
ID Number: 02773700
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Federal District Court, Northern District of Texas
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Cotten Schmidt, LLP
Head of Family Law Section
Law Office of Jon R. Boyd
Sole Member/Practitioner
Boyd Family Law, PLLC
Over 40 years of practice, I have had partners for some periods of time but have been a Sole Practitioner since 2007.
Boyd and Boyd, LLP
Family Law Practice in Far N. Dallas/Addison/W. Plano
University of Houston - Main Campus
J.D. (1978) | Law Degree
University of Houston - Main Campus Logo
Southern Methodist University
B.B.A. | Real Estate, Tax Law
Southern Methodist University Logo
Professional Associations
Tarrant Co. Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Denton Co. Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
The Family Section of the State Bar of Texas
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Hood County Bar Associaton
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Dallas Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Collin County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
State Bar of Texas # 02773700
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Legal Answers
79 Questions Answered

Q. My spouse and I aren't married, & she wants to move my daughter to another state? Can she do so without the father say?
A: Absent a court order saying otherwise, yes she can. You should immediately take legal action by hiring a lawyer.
Q. How will child support be calculated for two orders.
A: Multiple children guidelines chart. For example, one child would normally be 20% of your net, but now it would be 17.5% for the one. However, the same would apply to the other child of the other mother of you second child. So you end up paying 35% for two rather than 25% for two if both children were of the same mother.
Q. As a dad that has been divorced for 3 years, I have questions on my rights because it seems like i have none.
A: I understand. You really need to just talk to a lawyer for an hour, let me/him/her read your prior order, answer your questions and make recommendations. I've been helping Fathers for 25 years. I'd be glad to help if you want to call me office and set up a time to confer. 817-338-4500. -Jon Boyd
Q. I would like to have weekend visitation with my grandson. I was getting him every weekend, up until my son preposed.
A: If your visitation has been previously ordered, you should see a lawyer and file a Motion asking the court to enforce the order. If there is no prior order, it will be difficult to get due to changes in the law 20 yrs ago. You should consult with an experienced family law attorney about your facts and he/she can give you an educated opinion.
Q. Legal process when a Respondent doesn't properly cite the Petitioner.
A: When you file the Answer, it is your duty and responsibility to send a copy to Petitioner. If you don't, your Answer is still on file, but you could be sanctioned by the Court for failing to copy Petitioner on your filing. The Petitioner, not having received an Answer from you, and unless the Clerk has given him notice of your filing, will be thinking you have defaulted and prepare to go to court to take a default but will double check the Court registry to see if an Answer has been filed, and will finally discover it was filed. You are required to copy Petitioner on every pleading you file.
Q. Hello and thank you for reading my question I have twin daughters who are 17 and both have major issues.
A: You can ask the court to extend it if they are disabled and meet the criteria specified in the Family Code. You will need the medical evidence to support it. You will need an attorney.
Q. I have a client who's husband just died and I wanted to know how can she set the warranty deed under her name.
A: She needs to either probate his Will or have an intestate proceeding, such as Petition to Declare Heirship, etc. I'd be happy to help if you/she needs it. Have her call me.
Q. What is made wholly default? What kind of cases can one make ahold default?
A: Default means you were properly notified of the suit having been filed and you failed to appear/file a response, so the Court allowed the filing party to proceed to court without further notice to you and get what they filed for. If that happened to you, you have 30 days to file a Motion for New Trial. Do not miss the deadline. Do not file it yourself- it is technical. Seek an attorney.
Q. Father passed over 1 yr. His sister is allegedly executor. A will has not been file to date, what are my options.
A: You don't mention where the Will is, but you need to locate it and have it probated in court. Call me and I'll be glad to do this for you. -Jon
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Law Office of Jon R. Boyd
100 Energy Way
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Telephone: (817) 338-4500
Fax: (817) 338-4599