Free Consultation: (602) 540-6366Tap to Call This Lawyer
Joel Friedman

Joel Friedman

I can help with your work injury claim _ no cost consultation, flexible fees
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Arizona
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&AResponsive Law

Joel F Friedman has been representing injured workers in claims for Arizona workers' compensation benefits for about 35 years, and he was certified as a specialist in workers' compensation law from October 1993 - February 2021. He continues to specialize in work injuries; he accepts complex cases other lawyers often won't take (like work stress, carpal tunnel syndrome, and gradual - repetitive work injuries); and he has been a frequent speaker at national Social Security and State Bar of Arizona conferences on a variety of subjects, including psychological - neuropsychological evaluations, traumatic brain injuries (TBI), cardiac and cardiovascular disorders, and Medicare benefits. Joel hikes the Arizona deserts, travels wherever the wind takes him, and in a past life was a licensed soccer referee

Practice Area
    Workers' Compensation
Additional Practice Area
  • Medicare Set Aside (MSA) trusts
  • Free Consultation
    I am available to review medical and case documents, at no charge, to decide what services I may be able to offer, and what fees would be charged. I will then schedule a telephone or in-person meeting to review your case
  • Contingent Fees
    I am able to take most Arizona work injury claims on contingencies, so there is no charge for my time until and unless there is a recovery. Legal and case expenses must be reimbursed regardless of the result, pursuant to the Arizona Rules of Professional Conduct. Medicare Set Aside (MSA) case contracts depend on the specifics
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Fees are dependent on the specific nature of your case, and where you are in the process. I may be able to offer discounted fees to police and fire department employees, union workers, and veterans applying for Arizona work injury.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
9th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. Supreme Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
US District Court - Arizona
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Spanish: Written
Professional Experience
- Current
New law office after 28 years with firm of Jerome, Gibson, Stewart
Director, Arizona Workers' Compensation Division
Cruz & Associates, PC
I managed the work injury section of the Phoenix Cruz office. I supervised an associate attorney and 3 paralegals, including for administrative claims and court cases at the Industrial Commission of Arizona
Jerome, Gibson, Stewart, Friedman, Stevenson, Engle, & Runbeck, PC
Villanova University School of Law
Villanova University School of Law Logo
Franklin & Marshall College
B.A. | Business Management
Activities: Chi Phi Fraternity 1974 - 1977 Men's Soccer 1973 - 1974
Placeholder image for education.
State University of New York - College at New Paltz
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
Arizona State Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Arizona Association for Justice (Arizona Trial Lawyers)
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives (NOSSCR)
Activities: Council of Past Presidents 2002 - present President 2001 - 2002 Advocacy Committee Chair
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Certified specialist in workers' compensation law
State Bar of Arizona Board of Legal Specialization
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
69 Questions Answered
Q. Workers comp claim terminated, want to quit my job... however...
A: This is a question you really should be asking the lawyer you apparently already have on your WC case. It's a common issue and any serious WC attorney will be able to advise you, especially knowing more about your current injury-related medical condition and why you disagree with your benefits being terminated. That being said, there may or may not be consequences if your claim is "unclosed" and benefits are reinstated. The general rule is that if the company where you were working at the time of your injury has been giving you light duty, even hypothetical earnings from that light duty employment will continue to count against any disability benefits you may qualify for later (if you leave the job). There are many factors that go into the decision you need or want to make, it's best again to discuss with your current WC lawyer who knows your case better
Q. Hi there so broke my hand at work 4 to 5 weeks ago . in that time I have seen doctor every week. 1 week into break I wa
A: Good morning. It's not clear from your message how you believe your hand was broken and should be in a cast (like an x-ray or something else), and why you think you cannot do your regular work, since you apparently have been to a doctor who would make those decisions. It will make a difference which hand is injured - dominant that you use to write and do most daily activities - and what job you were doing at the time of the injury. How you were injured, what happened in the accident, makes a difference also. You are not entitled to wage loss payments until you have been off work at least 7 calendar days, not necessarily in a row. The time off work has to be at the direction of your doctor even if you disagree with their work status. Depending on who you work for, you may have the right to go to any doctor you want, although you will have to get a referral from where you have been going or you will need the agreement of the workers' compensation insurance company. That can get complicated. I suggest you get a copy of your claim file (especially all of your medical records), and contact a workers' comp attorney. Thank you for your question, hope this answer helps
Q. What is the penalty, if any, in AZ for failure to abide by a judicially approved stipulation in a work comp case?
A: Thank you for your inquiry. There is no automatic right to the same medical benefits permanently and there is no automatic penalty. if benefits are being denied the first option is to request a hearing investigation under ARS 23 1061J. The industrial commission will send a notice to the insurance company, which will have an opportunity to explain why the benefits are not being covered. The insurance company may have a medical opinion that the medical equipment is no longer necessary but it would be unusual for them to get away saying it is not necessary from the work injury if there was an agreement earlier that it was. Unusual and not impossible. If there is no resolution the industrial commission will schedule a hearing and take testimony from the injured worker and the healthcare providers, including the doctor who ordered the equipment and any doctor who disagrees with that order. This also may be an opportunity to settle out future medical benefits and how that happens will depend on many many factors including the age of the injured worker, the actual nature and extent of the injuries, and if the worker is now eligible for Medicare. The issue is eligibility and not actual enrollment in Medicare so again it gets very complicated. The injured worker should contact a lawyer, especially if they had one before for the case.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Joel F Friedman, Esq
P.O. Box 10037
Phoenix, AZ 85064
Cell: (602) 540-6366
Fax: (602) 777-3599
Monday: 8:30 AM - 6 PM
Tuesday: 8:30 AM - 6 PM
Wednesday: 8:30 AM - 6 PM
Thursday: 8:30 AM - 6 PM
Friday: 8:30 AM - 6 PM (Today)
Saturday: 10 AM - 4 PM
Sunday: Closed
Notice: I am available by telephone and email weekdays and most Saturdays. I answer calls and reply when I am not already on a project or in court. I prefer email or text messages to voice mail