With more than 35 years of legal experience, Jim focuses his practice on all aspects of family law, including divorce, child custody, support modifications, as well as prenuptial and postnuptial agreements.
Prior to founding The Peterson Firm, Jim worked for a large Atlanta law firm handling complicated corporate litigation cases. This invaluable experience provided Jim the knowledge and skills necessary to handle complex divorce cases involving significant assets and family businesses.
Jim has substantial trial experience (both jury and non-jury) and has argued numerous landmark cases before the Georgia Court of Appeals and the Georgia Supreme Court. Most of Jim's clients come as referrals from other attorneys and former clients who know and respect his professional reputation. Jim's clients have ranged from stay-at-home parents to attorneys, business leaders, professional athletes, professors, airline pilots and doctors.
Consistently recognized as one of the top 5% of all divorce attorneys in the State of Georgia, Jim has been named to the prestigious Super Lawyers list as published in Atlanta Magazine every year since 2008 and has been named as a member of the "Georgia Elite" by Georgia Trend Magazine every year since 2008.
Jim is an avid cyclist, runner and triathlete, and he has competed in numerous marathons, century bike races, 4 Ironman Triathlons and 3 half-Ironman Triathlons.
- Family Law
- The Peterson Firm
- - Current
- Mississippi College School of Law
- J.D. (1984)
- Activities: Mississippi College Law Review (1982-1984)
- Appalachian State University
- B.A. (1980)
- Top Attorneys in Georgia
- Super Lawyers Magazine
- 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Georgia Legal Elite
- Georgia Trend Magazine
- 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Client Choice Award
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Activities: Family Law Section
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Old War Horse Club
- State Bar of Georgia
- - Current
- Activities: Family Law Section (admitted 1984), Services Committee (1985-1994)
- How to try a Divorce case, Masters in Trial, Atlanta, Georgia
- Valuing and Dividing Business Assets, Complex Assets in Divorce, Atlanta, Georgia
- National Business Institute