Jennifer Hanson Copus

Jennifer Hanson Copus

Copus & Copus, P.A.
  • Real Estate Law, Business Law, Collections...
  • Florida
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Jennifer H. Copus originally hails from Arab, Alabama, but has called the Emerald Coast home since moving to Fort Walton Beach, Florida in 2000 upon graduating from law school. Jennifer began her legal career as a criminal defense attorney with the Office of the Public Defender in Shalimar, Florida and later worked as a prosecutor with the Office of the State Attorney in Okaloosa and Walton Counties.

Jennifer now focuses on serving clients in the areas of corporate and business litigation, commercial litigation, condominium law and litigation, real property litigation, landlord/tenant law, foreclosure litigation, employment law and personal injury. As a Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator, Jennifer also assists individuals, corporations and organizations facilitate and negotiate resolutions to their disputes. Please visit the Mediation Center for more information on Jennifer’s mediation services. In February 2018, Jennifer also received qualification from the Florida Supreme Court to serve as an arbitrator.

Jennifer and her team understand that the foundation to providing quality, effective advice and representation is building a strong personal relationship with clients. They are committed to ensuring each client and each case receive the personal time and attention it deserves. Please call or email Jennifer today to discuss your case.

Practice Areas
  • Real Estate Law
  • Business Law
  • Collections
  • Construction Law
  • Probate
  • Estate Planning
  • Employment Law
  • Foreclosure Defense
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Municipal Law
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    My firm accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover Card.
  • Contingent Fees
    My firm does accept contingency fees on certain, limited matters.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Federal Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Managing Partner
Copus & Copus, P.A.
- Current
Senior Associate Attorney
Chesser & Barr, P.A.
Associate Attorney
Dowd Law Firm, P.A.
Assistant State Attorney
Office of the State Attorney
Assistant Public Defender
Office of the Public Defender
Loyola University New Orleans
J.D. (2000) | Law
Honors: Moot Court honors; Poverty Law Clinic honors
Placeholder image for education.
University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa
B.A. (1997) | Psychology; English Literature
Honors: Recipient of 5 scholarships for academic excellence
University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa Logo
Named "One to Watch"
Emerald Coast Magazine
Professional Associations
Florida State Bar # 470988
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Okaloosa-Walton Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
First Judicial Circuit Bench & Bar Professionalism Committee
Mentor Pool Committee
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Okaloosa-Walotn Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Florida Bar First Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Okaloosa-Walton Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Florida Bar First Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee
Committee Member
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Okaloosa-Walotn Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Current Issues in Landlord/Tenant Law, Hurlburt Field
United States Air Force
Unaccompanied Minors & Special Juvenile Immigrant Status, Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Okaloosa Democratic Womens Club
Circuit Civil Mediator
Florida Supreme Court
Florida Supreme Court
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
25 Questions Answered

Q. FL Eviction Law for Girlfriend And Son With No Written Lease?
A: If this was an oral lease agreement, then you may serve her with a notice for nonpayment of rent (3-day notice). Or you can send her a notice of termination and give her 15 days to vacate (assuming that she was paying rent on a monthly basis). If there was no oral lease agreement, then you will need to eject her from the premises. Eviction is the process when there is a lease (whether oral or written), ejectment is the process of removal when there is no lease.
Q. Life Estate quit claim deed question
A: All you need to do to effectuate the transfer is record a short-form death certificate of the life tenant. You can contact the clerk of court for Orange County to get specifics on the costs of recording.
Q. Does a spouse need to sign on the mortgage and deed if they are legally separated.
A: Yes for the mortgage. Whether to include the spouse on the deed is up to the spouse making the purchase, but whether listed on the deed or not, he/she will have a marital interest in the property.
Q. Florida a tenant moved into my unit No Money has exchanged hands only 2 days in unit can I change locks or call police
A: No. You will need to notice the tenant to vacate the premises and if he/she does not, then you will need to file an eviction proceeding to remove him/her.
Q. A lien on a house, husband and wife own together, get a divorce. Does lien have to be paid off.
A: If the purchase is a cash transaction, then it would not be necessary to satisfy the lien as part of the transaction. If the purchase is financed through a bank, then the bank and the underwriter for the title policy will require that all liens be satisfied as part of the transaction.
Q. What are my rights as a co-owner to a property where my ex lives?
A: Issuance of a sticker is up to the HOA and should be issued pursuant to their own rules and regulations. Your ex has no right to object to you getting a sticker since you are on the deed and mortgage.
Q. If a person has been living here less than 30 days, can I ask her to leave ASAP.
A: Yes.
Q. How can I get an unwanted guest out of my home? No longer feel safe based on comment made.
A: Simply tell this person to leave. It may be helpful to give them notice in writing to vacate the premises within a certain amount of time. If this person does not honor the notice, you may contact law enforcement or you may file what is called an ejectment suit to remove the person from your home.
Q. I co own a house, I and my friend are both on the deed. I want to sell, my friend does not, what can I do to get a sale
A: If you and your friend are unable to come to an agreement on whether to sell or not, you have the option of filing a partition lawsuit. Since a house cannot be divided into two separate but equal properties, the court will ultimately order that the property be auctioned off publicly to the highest bidder. The proceeds will then be split between you and your friend.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Copus & Copus, P.A.
1184 Eglin Parkway
Shalimar, FL 32579
Telephone: (850) 609-1433
Fax: (850) 609-1503