Free Consultation: (888) 227-6866Tap to Call This Lawyer
Jeffrey Anton Collins

Jeffrey Anton Collins

Tax Law Offices - Business Tax Settlement Corp
  • Tax Law
  • Illinois
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ABlawgsearchSocial Media

As an Attorney, Former IRS agent and Retired CPA, I fight serious tax matters for business owners. I specialize in IRS problems with larger IRS liability – that greater than $100,000. My specific services include:

• Offer-in-Compromise Settlements
• Emergency or Hardship Stop to IRS Levy
• Release of IRS Levy on Payroll Bank Accounts
• Removal of IRS Liens on Real Estate
• Representation in IRS Special Agent Investigations
• Removal of IRS Civil Penalty
• Sensitive Innocent Spouse Cases
• Tax from Death, Divorce, Sale or Loss of Business

I serve clients across the U.S., and am licensed to practice at the U.S. Tax Court, multiple federal courts, and the State of Illinois,

Businesses face unique problems with IRS, payroll, and cash flow. I can protect your bank funds from IRS control. I am easy to speak with. I keep my clients informed, and will return your calls and emails. CPA’s and tax accountants prefer to work with me on their clients’ IRS tax cases.

Practice Area
  • Tax Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
CPA (Arkansas)
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. District Court - 4th Circuit
ID Number: 18570
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. District Court - 7th Circiut
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
United States Tax Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Jeffrey Anton Collins
University of Arkansas - Little Rock
J.D. (1997)
University of Arkansas - Little Rock Logo
University of Arkansas - Pine Bluff
University of Arkansas - Pine Bluff Logo
The University of Denver Sturm College of Law
The University of Denver Sturm College of Law Logo
Top 100 Attorney
National Black Lawyers
Professional Associations
National Association of Tax Professionals
Board Member - Illinois
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Bar Association
- Current
Activities: Taxation Practice Division
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Tax Advice from a Former IRS Auditor
Bloomberg Business Week
Speaking Engagements
Criminal Tax Fraud and Controversy, American Bar Association
Websites & Blogs
Drop Us a Quick Note
See Our Services on Facebook
How to Stop Tough IRS Problems
Legal Answers
5 Questions Answered

Q. Our MA divorce court date was 11-30. Can we file taxes as single?
A: If you were divorced as of December 31, you are and may file as "single". Unless, of course, you qualify for head of household status.
Q. What does our church need have in line to legally rent to a for-profit daycare?
A: My experience with 501(c) exempt organizations is limited. But I can provide this: The church should be concerned about what is called "Unrelated Business Income". The Internal Revenue Service defines the income generated from unrelated business activities as income from a trade or business regularly carried on, that is not substantially related to the purpose that is the basis of the organization's exemption from tax. What that all means is if providing daycare services is not largely related to the church's non-profit mission or objectives, then it may have taxable income from that daycare or rental. Related to this point, categorizing the receipts as "donations" is merely superficial. It does not change the true nature of the payments. Now, as a practical matter, most local church organizations fail to file the appropriate IRS Form 990 series, and report unrelated business income. Occasionally, they later become blind-sided with tax, interest and penalties resulting from IRS audits. I would hire an experienced certified public accountant to maintain a watch over the church's tax obligations. This will help ensure reporting compliance, transparency, and preparedness if there is a tax obligation. J Anton Collins
Q. My husband & my mother-n-law filed our taxes & signed my name without my consent or my knowledge of him claiming me.
A: It sounds like you suspect that your husband has acted fraudulently. This situation is much more common that you might think. Therefore, IRS has organized several methods for you to report the tax return filing, to report the inappropriate claim of dependents, and to clear your good name. You will be able to file your own accurate tax return, and even claim your any exemption for dependents, to which you may be lawfully entitled. Look at this page on "How Do You Report Suspected Tax Fraud Activity?" I understand that you want part of any tax refund, which may possibly be fraudulently received by your husband. However, concern about refunds is not part of my answer here.
Q. I sold a home that I’ve occupied as my primary residence for the last four years. Do I have to pay taxes on the profit?
A: I do agree with Attorney Blackburn. When you file your return, please make certain that you supplement Form 1040, Schedule D and Form 8949, to include a statement that references 26 U.S.C. § 121 - U.S. Code - Exclusion of gain from sale of principal residence. Be certain that you read the statute, and provide this information to your tax return preparer, as well. J Anton
Q. My husband and I have an s-corp in CA and we are the only officers in our s-corp.
A: I agree with Attorney Blackburn that the premiums may be deducted. The expenses may be deductible as compensation to the recipient. However, this is not advised because they become subject to payroll taxes at both the company and individual level. This treatment may be more helpful when there are additional officers / owners. Since you two are the only owners, those expenses CAN be deducted, but SHOULDN'T be.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Tax Law Offices - Business Tax Settlement Corp
1555 Naperville Wheaton Road
Suite 116
Naperville, IL 60563
Toll-Free: (888) 227-6866
Telephone: (312) 212-1000
Fax: (312) 858-3444
Tax Law Offices - Business Tax Settlement Corp
7601 S. Kostner Avenue
Suite 110
Chicago, IL 60652
Toll-Free: (888) 227-6866
Telephone: (312) 212-1000
Fax: (312) 858-3444
Business Tax Settlement Corp
1954 Ashley River Road
Suite I
Charleston, SC 29407
Toll-Free: (888) 227-6866
Telephone: (843) 823-6363
Business Tax Settlement Corp
5827 Allentown Road
Camp Springs, MD 20735
Toll-Free: (888) 227-6866
Telephone: (301) 515-9500