Free Consultation: (480) 550-8697Tap to Call This Lawyer
Profile Image Placeholder

Jay Hall

Hall Underwood PLLC
  • Divorce, Family Law, Business Law
  • Arizona
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media
Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Business Law
  • Free Consultation
    Consultations are always free at Hall Underwood PLLC.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    We offer flexible flat fees and affordable payment plans in most matters.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Managing Attorney
Hall Underwood PLLC
- Current
Recognized as one of the top law firms in Scottsdale, our talented attorneys handle virtually all types of litigation, including divorce and family law, business, and complex civil litigation. Consultations are free.
Associate Attorney
Gurstel Chargo, PA
High volume civil litigation
Ryley Carlock & Applewhite
DePaul College of Law
J.D. (2011) | Law
DePaul College of Law Logo
University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign
B.S. (2007) | Psychology
University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign Logo
Best General Litigation Firm - Scottsdale, Arizona
Best Businesses
Hall Underwood, PLLC has been selected for the 2014 Best Businesses of Scottsdale Award in the General Litigation category by the Best Businesses of Scottsdale Award Program. Various sources of information were gathered and analyzed to choose the winners in each category. The 2014 Best Businesses of Scottsdale Award Program focuses on quality, not quantity. Winners are determined based on the information gathered both internally by the Best Businesses of Scottsdale Award Program and data provided by third parties.
Client's Choice Award
Top 10 Family Lawyer in Arizona
American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
Top 10 Attorney Under 40 in Arizona
American Institute of Legal Counsel
Top Contributor Family Law
Professional Associations
Arizona State Bar # 029598
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Scottsdale Family Lawyers and Litigation Attorneys
Arizona Family Law Blogs
Legal Answers
63 Questions Answered

Q. Hi I have lived in arizona for 6 months but am a previous oregon resident where my children are residing at this time.
A: The state where your children have lived for the last six months has jurisdiction over child custody. If there isn't such a state, then it may be where the children were born. Once you identify which state has jurisdiction, you will need to file there to establish your parental rights.
Q. Can I request an emergency hearing to reverse a custody order for the same reason it was granted in the first place?
A: It sounds like Wyoming has jurisdiction over the child custody issues, so you would need to ask an attorney licensed to practice there. In Arizona, this situation would not warrant an emergency, but could justify modification. Emergencies are reserved for when there is imminent risk of irreparable harm to a child. If Wyoming offers temporary orders during the pendency of the underlying modification, that could be an option for you as well. I just can't speculate because I'm only licensed to practice in Arizona. Best of luck!
Q. Having to decide parent emotionally abusive (proof) other parent no income. Who has better odds?
A: A parent's earning capacity is irrelevant to the determination of parenting time and/or legal decision-making. Your living situation may be a factor though if the home is too crowded to appropriately accommodate the children.
Q. What is the length of time in Hawaii after find a civil complaint that the plaintive has to serve The defendant?
A: If the complaint was filed in Hawaii, you would need to ask an attorney licensed to practice there. For lawsuits filed in Arizona, plaintiffs have 120 days to serve the defendant.
Q. Can I get a judge to apply res judicata in My case?
A: Res judicata is an affirmative defense that precludes a claim. It's unclear what effect you believe it will have on the competing orders of protection, but no, it won't affect the orders of protection nor the ability to obtain a new one once a current order expires.
Q. How can a mediator put down income for me when I do not work it messed up child support monies
A: Yes, it is legal. Parents who are unemployed are always attributed at least minimum wage unless they have a disability or another legal reason not to work.
Q. I have no custody rights just visitations for the last 10 yrs with my son. I pay child support.
A: It's unclear what you mean by custody. In Arizona, custody has been replaced by "legal decision-making" and "parenting time." The latter significantly influences the child support calculation. The more parenting time you have with your children, the less you have to pay in child support.
Q. i got no money and the little money I got goes to bills due to child support how can I stop or reduce payments
A: Child support is calculated based on a standardized formula. It doesn't account for your bills because the child is prioritized above all other expenses. You can find the current (2015) Arizona Child Support calculator online to double check the court's math. If circumstances have changed since the order was entered that would reduce (or increase) child support at least 15%, you can file to modify.
Q. how can i stop paying chid support for a kid that isnt mine. i never took a dna test or sign and papers saying the child
A: You'd need to ask a California attorney. I am not licensed to practice there but I can tell you that if the process is anything like Arizona, it sounds like paternity may have been established against you (no DNA test is required here). If so, it's going to be very difficult to undo it. You'll want to contact a California family lawyer for a consultation.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
16427 N. Scottsdale Rd.
Suite 410
Scottsdale, AZ 85254
Telephone: (480) 550-8697
Fax: (480) 550-8766
2415 E. Camelback Rd.
Suite 700
Phoenix, AZ 85016
Telephone: (602) 730-6436
Fax: (480) 550-8766