Free Consultation: (360) 419-0809Tap to Call This Lawyer
Jason Powers

Jason Powers

Powers Law Group
  • DUI & DWI, Domestic Violence, Criminal Law...
  • Washington
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&AGoldSocial Media
Practice Areas
  • DUI & DWI
  • Domestic Violence
  • Criminal Law
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Powers Law Group
Washington State Bar
- Current
Adjunct Faculty
Skagit Valley College
Taught classes in the Administration of Justice and Paralegal programs. Subjects included Criminal Law, Evidence and Constitutional Law.
Parks Law Enforcement Academy
Presented on the subjects of Constitutional Law, Criminal Law & Procedure.
University of California - Davis
J.D. (2001)
University of California - Davis Logo
Western Washington University
B.A. (1997) | Political Science
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Washington State Bar # 31645
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Jason Powers' Website Profile
Powers Law Group Website
Legal Answers
21 Questions Answered

Q. i was stopped for dui but blew a 0- i dont drink but i do take medications which caution about driving/operating equipme
A: There is a backlog of blood tests at the Washington State Patrol. It seems to take at least four months for the blood to be tested. When it is tested, the lab will check for substances that could affect driving and/or illegal.
Q. Do you have to go to rehab after a first-time DUI?
A: If you are convicted of a DUI, or a DUI related offense in Washington state, the court will order you to obtain an assessment to determine if you need any sort of alcohol treatment. The amount of treatment, or rehab, will be based upon that assessment. Some people are ordered to do a one day class called Alcohol Drug Information School (ADIS). Others are ordered to attend treatment of some sort for up to two years.
Q. Felony harrassment Washington state
A: Yes. The charge was actually filed by the State, not the neighbor. At some point your neighbor reported the threat to the police. For whatever reason the prosecutor took a long time to file it. The Statute of Limitations for Felony Harassment is three years. So, even though it was filed over a year after the incident it is timely. I suggest your husband speak to an attorney soon.
Q. Washington its been 7 months since daughter 14 got in fight at school. Now got charges from state . is that legal
A: Yes. The state has a time period, called a Statute of Limitations, that defines how long the prosecutor can wait to file a charge. For Assault 4 charges (the basic form of Assault in Washington) it is two years. This applies to everyone, including juveniles.
Q. So my bf got arrested for domestic violence but i never pressed charge its the State but will that lead him to jail?
A: The State will be prosecuting him. Once a person calls 911, or maybe someone else did, and the police get involved you do not have the power to press charges. The prosecutor may take your thoughts into consideration on how the case is resolved. If your request is counter to what they think should happen, however, they my not listen to you at all. A domestic violence charge is a crime. Depending on the type of charge your boyfriend could face 90 - 364 days in jail, if it is a misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor, or much more if it is a felony.
Q. Hello - My Father was convicted of a domestic violence charge over 20 years ago. Can this be expunged?
A: He may be able to have the charge vacated. More facts are needed such as what type of DV charge? Was it a felony or misdemeanor? Were the terms of probation completed? If the DV charge was a misdemeanor, the answer is probably. If it was a felony it may be vacated depending on the charge. I suggest you meet with an attorney to discuss this further and bring any paperwork from the court hearings.
Q. How can I (victim) terminate a no contact order if it's set for 47 years? We have 3 kids & his first conviction.
A: As the protected party you will need to go before the court that issued the NCO. Some of the procedure depends on if the order was issued via a criminal case, an anti-harassment case or a family law matter. If the NCO a final order or pending the outcome of a criminal trial or divorce decree? These are questions that need to be clarified. The length of the order seems extremely excessive. The court may delete the NCO, shorten the duration of the order or deny your motion. You will need to schedule an appointment with an attorney to determine how much it will cost and to explain the process if you provide more information.
Q. Can a county judge in district court deny use of medical marijuana ?
A: Yes. Some courts deny a person on either pretrial supervision or probation to abstain, even if medical. Since the law was changed to legalize marijuana that has been on the decrease. If it happens a person may need to get proof from their doctor and provide it to the court.
Q. What happens if the person who filed a restraining order violates it? And what happens if the person filed on responds?
A: A restraining order forbids the restrained party from violating its' conditions. The party who sought the order is not under any restraints. That means if the person who filed the order contacts the restrained person nothing will happen to them. The restrained party till cannot contact that person in ANY way. They restrained person cannot answer the phone, respond to a text or even say hello if the person who filed says it first. My advice to a restrained party is if you see the other person, go the other way. If they call, do not answer. If the post to you on social media, do not respond. It is not a defense that the person who filed contacted you first.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Powers Law Group
309 Pine St
Mt Vernon, WA 98273
Telephone: (360) 419-0809
Fax: (360) 419-0810