Free Consultation: (608) 218-4030Tap to Call This Lawyer
Jason Anthony Greller

Jason Anthony Greller

Attorney Jason A Greller - Real Estate Lawyer, SC
  • Real Estate Law, Landlord Tenant
  • Wisconsin
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law


Originally trained as a litigator, Jason knows that the best way to avoid problems is to start with a well thought out and carefully crafted document. Jason's clients benefit from his 23+ years of practice, his comprehensive knowledge of real estate law and his experience assisting clients in thousands of transactions.

Jason is a frequent lecturer on the topic of residential real estate transactions and is recognized by both the local and national media as an innovative leader in Wisconsin real estate law. As a member of the Wisconsin Realtor Association Real Estate Forms Committee, Jason lends his expertise to the WRA regarding the use and modification of Wisconsin State approved forms used in real estate transactions throughout Wisconsin.

Born and raised in New York City, Jason came to Wisconsin to attend the UW Law School. Along the way he fell in love with the Madison area and married the love of his life. In his free time, Jason may be found spending time with his family, playing tennis, sailing on Lake Mendota or searching for a lost golf ball. He lives in the Town of Middleton with his wife and two children.

Practice Areas
  • Real Estate Law
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Free Consultation
    Call us for a free consulation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, Apple Pay
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Reasonable flat fees for buying or selling residential real estate. Flat fees for Quitclaim Deeds.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
7th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • French: Written
  • Spanish: Written
Professional Experience
Attorney Jason A Greller - Real Estate Lawyer, SC
Knoll & Greller, SC
Wisconsin Department of Justice - Public Intervenor
Madison City Attorney's Office
University of Wisconsin Law School
J.D. | Real Property Law
Honors: Honors Level GPA
University of Wisconsin Law School Logo
Trinity College
B.A. (1987) | International Studies
Placeholder image for education.
Client's Choice Award
New York Regent's Scholar
New York State
Professional Associations
Wisconsin State Bar # 1025044
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Wisconsin Realtor's Association - Real Estate Forms Advisory Committee
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Wisconsin Realtor's Association
Legal Section Member
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Practical Considerations in Residential Real Estate Transactions in Wisconsin, Madison, WI
Lorman Education Services
Avoiding Residential Real Estate Pitfalls, Annual State Bar Symposium, Wisconsin Dells, WI
State Bar of Wisconsin
Websites & Blogs
Attorney Jason A Greller - Real Estate Lawyer, SC
Wisconsin Quitclaim Deeds & TOD Deeds
Legal Answers
50 Questions Answered

Q. Do attorneys have to keep your files for a certain amount of time? What if they had something they never gave you?
A: Most attorneys maintain most types of files for six years. Some matters, such as wills and trusts, should be maintained indefinitely. Attorneys also have a duty to safeguard client property and clients have a right to their file and their property.
Q. Can a landlord charger you a months rentfor your duplex not being move in ready with it just being normal wear and tear?
A: Wis. Admin Code § ATCP 134.06(3)(c) states that a landlord cannot withhold from a tenant's security deposit for normal "wear & tear." Unfortunately, "wear and tear" has never been defined. I note the deduction of $950 for not being "move in ready." That particular deduction may, depending on its basis, run afoul of the prohibition against deducting for normal "wear & tear." You may certainly bring an action in small claims court and present your evidence. If you prevail you may be entitled to double your damages and attorney's fees if applicable.
Q. Can you transfer your half ownership in a house to the other half owner with a quit claim deed or a title transfer?
A: Yes, you may transfer an interest with a quit claim deed although that might not be the safest way to handle this matter. Anytime someone is paying money for an interest in property they are well advised to obtain a Warranty Deed and a title insurance policy - even in transactions between family members. You do not need to bring on agents into this transaction. You should contact an attorney to put together the offer, order the title and review the closing documents and deed. This is a very reasonably priced service offered by most real estate attorneys.
Q. Is a title company required to provide copies of the signed closing documents to the seller?
A: I've never heard of a title company not providing copies of signed documents to the Seller. You are entitled to a copy of every document that you signed. You are not entitled to a copy of loan documents signed by Buyer.
Q. Am I obligated to purchase a property if it fails sewer and well inspection even if they agree to fix it?
A: The answer to any contract question requires a review of the contract. Assuming that well and septic contingencies are included in the offer then your rights are set forth under the contingencies. If the contingencies grant the Seller the "right to cure", then the Seller may cure the defects and you may be obligated to close if the Seller 1) timely elects to cure the defects and 2) cures the defects prior to closing. Of course, there may be some dispute as to what remedies would constitute an effective cure. Best to have a qualified attorney review the offer to advise you as to your relative rights and obligations. Be forewarned, many contingencies have strict deadlines and a failure to properly articulate objections by due dates may cause the contingency to be deemed time is of the essence.
Q. Can a late fee be assessed on rent prior to 5 day grace period in Wisconsin?
A: There is no statute, regulation or Wisconsin case that prevents a landlord from charging a tenant a late fee for failure to pay rent on time. A landlord can only charge a late fee if it is specifically authorized in the rental agreement. See Wis Admin Code § ATCP 134.09(8).
Q. Is it legal for my landlord to be forcing us to pay two different utility companies? We were only told about electric
A: Landlord-tenant relations in Wisconsin are regulated by Wis. Stat. ch. 704, and Wis. Adm. Code ch. ATCP 134. Utility charges (ATCP 134.04(3)) Landlords often require tenants to pay the utility charges separate from the rent. Before deciding to rent a specific unit, it is important for a tenant to know whether or not the utility charges are included in the rent. A tenant needs this information so they can accurately determine the total cost of renting the unit. ATCP 134.04(3), provides that the landlord must tell a prospective tenant if utility charges are not included in the rent. The tenant must receive this information before signing a rental agreement or paying any money for an earnest money deposit or security deposit. If utility charges are not included in the rent and individual dwelling units and common areas of the building are not separately metered, the landlord must tell the tenant how the costs for utility services will be allocated among the individual dwelling units. ATCP 134.04(3) (3) Utility charges. If charges for water, heat or electricity are not included in the rent, the landlord shall disclose this fact to the tenant before entering into a rental agreement or accepting any earnest money or security deposit from the prospective tenant. If individual dwelling units and common areas are not separately metered, and if the charges are not included in the rent, the landlord shall disclose the basis on which charges for utility services will be allocated among individual dwelling units.
Q. Roommate and Electric Bill Question
A: The departing tenant seems to equate use of the premises and utilities with responsibility for payment but a party's liability is based on their contractual agreement to be bound by the terms of the lease regardless of use. If the lease requires the tenants to be responsible for utilities then all tenants should be jointly and severally liable for the rent and the utilities. Of course, at a practical level the utility bill is typically in the name of only one of tenants and that tenant is ultimately responsible for payment to the utility company.
Q. My brother died on July 5th.His landlord started throwing his personal property outside Aug 3rd.neighbor helped move it!
A: Landlord is jumping the gun in terminating the tenancy. See Section 704.165. Disposing of property depends on the lease agreement and whether the landlord gave notice to tenant at the signing of the lease of the intent to dispose of abandoned property. Generally the Landlord should grant next of kin or personal representative of estate access since the estate still has rights. 704.165  Termination of tenancy at death of tenant. (1)  (a) Except as provided in par. (b), if a residential tenant dies, his or her tenancy is terminated on the earlier of the following: 1. Sixty days after the landlord receives notice, is advised, or otherwise becomes aware of the tenant's death. 2. The expiration of the term of the rental agreement. (b) Notwithstanding s. 704.19, in the case of the death of a residential periodic tenant or tenant at will, the tenancy is terminated 60 days after the landlord receives notice, is advised, or otherwise becomes aware of the tenant's death. (2) The deceased tenant or his or her estate is not liable for any rent after the termination of his or her tenancy. Any liability of the deceased tenant or his or her estate for rent under this subsection is subject to the landlord's duty to mitigate damages as provided in s. 704.29 (2). (3) Nothing in this section relieves another adult tenant of the deceased tenant's premises from any obligation under a rental agreement or any other liability to the landlord. (4) A landlord under this section may not contact or communicate with a member of the deceased tenant's family for the purpose of obtaining from the family member rent for which the family member has no liability.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Attorney Jason A Greller - Real Estate Lawyer, SC
21 N Butler Street
Suite 101
Madison, WI 53703
Telephone: (608) 218-4030
Fax: (888) 716-3377