Free Consultation: (956) 631-0745Tap to Call This Lawyer
James Michael Moore

James Michael Moore

Moore Law Firm
  • Personal Injury, Insurance Claims
  • Texas
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

With over 25 years of litigation experience, I have committed my practice, Moore Law Firm, in helping not only the people within my Rio Grande Valley community but across the entire State of Texas. My law firm stands on the principle that everyone should have access to quality representation in our Texas courts.

To all prospective clients of Moore Law Firm, I personally look forward to partnering with you on your legal matter.

Legal Career:

Admitted to the Texas State Bar in 1991; Licensed to practice in Texas State courts, admitted to the bar of various Federal District Courts. 1991 – 1994: Associate Counsel – Thornton & Summers, San Antonio, 1995 – 1999: Law Office of J. Michael Moore; 1999 – 2012: Co-founder and managing partner of Guerra & Moore, offices located in Houston, McAllen, Rio Grande City, Zapata, Texas and Monterrey, Mexico; 2012 – Present: Moore Law Firm, founder. Co-counsels with qualified expert law firms from coast to coast.


Detroit College of Law, Michigan State University, with honors of Juris Doctor Cum Laude, 1991; Stephen F. Austin University (B.B.A.) 1986.


Federal Bar Association (Northern District of Texas chapter) 2002 – Present
Hidalgo County Bar Association 1995 – Present
Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Membership Committee 1995 – Present
American Association for Justice 1991 – Present
Attorneys Information Exchange Group 1991 – Present

Practice Areas
Personal Injury
Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
Insurance Claims
Bad Faith Insurance, Business Insurance, Disability Insurance, Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Motor Vehicle Insurance, Property Insurance
  • Free Consultation
    Consultations are absolutely free.
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State Bar of Texas
ID Number: 14349550
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Moore Law Firm
- Current
Managing Partner
Guerra & Moore
Law Office of J. Michael Moore
Associate Counsel
Thornton & Summers
Michigan State University
J.D. (1991)
Michigan State University Logo
Million Dollar Advocate
Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Multi-Million Dollar Advocate
Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Professional Associations
State Bar of Texas
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Federal Bar Association (Western District of Texas)
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Federal Bar Association (Northern District of Texas)
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Hidalgo County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Texas Trial Lawyers Association
Member of Membership Committee
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Association for Justice
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Speaking Engagements
Websites & Blogs
Moore Law Firm - Personal Injury Attorneys - Storm Damage Attorneys
Legal Answers
4 Questions Answered
Q. Is it possible to sue a university for emotional distress even though I made a mistake?
A: I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a difficult semester at school.

To build a good case, you need to have facts that support your case. From what it looks like, unfortunately, you intentionally violated the university's policy and, in all likelihood, the professor is following their own grading procedures to which you'll likely have to earn high scores on the remaining exams in order to pass your class.

In Texas, it's very unlikely that you would have a claim for an emotional distress case.

Some advice, however, is that your mental health is very important, so I implore that you speak to your professors, speak to your university counselors and continue to reach out to your therapist to help you cope with the anxiety and stress.

We all make mistakes, this is not the end, and you're going to be ok. Work hard, study hard, and use this to motivate and prepare you for your next challenge and your next semester.

Good luck!
... Read More
Q. Personal injury over 2 years ago due to the negligence of apartment complex of a friend. Witnesses, pics, and ER record.
A: I'm sorry to hear about your accident and I sincerely hope that you are still receiving treatment for your injuries.

In Texas civil and criminal courts, we have what are called statutes of limitations. A statute of limitations is a law that sets the maximum amount of time that can pass after an event until which lawsuit can no longer be initiated. Texas personal injury claims have a two-year statute of limitations, however, there are very few exceptions to these laws, such as injuries to minors.

If you were a minor when the incident occurred, you have two years after your 18th birthday to pursue a claim that legally belongs to you alone.

What this means is that claims that belong to parents, such as medical expenses and medical treatment, are claims that are not granted this extension. Recovery for medical bills for the treatment of a child is a claim that solely belongs to parents as it is their legal obligation to provide medical care for their child. However, claims such as mental anguish, disfigurement, continued medical expenses, as well as the loss of future income, are things that you can claim if you were a minor at the time of the injury.


You only have two years from the time of the accident to file a lawsuit, unless you're a minor, then you have two years after your 18th birthday for damages that impact you alone such as mental anguish, disfigurement, loss of future income. Medical bills that piled up before your 18th birthday are not claims you can pursue.

-Michael Moore
... Read More
Q. Can I file a civil suit against a bar that over served, and resulted in the death of my brother?
A: First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your brother. In all likelihood, yes, your mother would likely be able to file a claim against the establishment that overserved him.

Dram shop laws in Texas are laws that exist to protect consumers from restaurants and bars that criminally over-serve their guests to the point of intoxication, making them a danger to themselves and those who share the road with them.

To bring a cause of action (a reason to sue), under these laws, there are two specific details that need to have occurred:

(1) at the time the provision occurred it was apparent to the provider that the individual being sold, served, or provided with an alcoholic beverage was obviously intoxicated to the extent that he presented a clear danger to himself and others; and

(2) the intoxication of the recipient of the alcoholic beverage was a proximate cause of the damages suffered.

Witnesses, credit card statements, any social media posts or videos taken are all very imperative to obtain in order to tell the story of what happened the night of your brother's accident.

I wish you, your mother, and your family the very best as you seek justice for your brother.
... Read More
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Moore Law Firm
4900 N 10th St
Suite F3
McAllen, TX 78504
Telephone: (956) 631-0745
Fax: (888) 266-0971