Free Consultation: (815) 562-4443Tap to Call This Lawyer
James G. Ahlberg

James G. Ahlberg

  • Family Law, Divorce, Workers' Compensation...
  • Illinois
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A
Practice Areas
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Social Security Disability
  • Real Estate Law
  • Employment Law
  • Arbitration & Mediation
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Legal Malpractice
  • Free Consultation
    Free consultations in Workers' Compensation, Social Security Disability and Legal Malpractice cases
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express
  • Contingent Fees
    I accept contingent fees in Workers' Compensation and Social Security Disability cases.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
University of Illinois College of Law
J.D. (1978)
University of Illinois College of Law Logo
North Park University
B.A. (1974) | Political Science
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
Illinois State Bar # 3122250
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
568 Questions Answered

Q. I am 1/4 owner of home in Wisconsin per quit claim deed, Joint Tenants with Right of Survivorship..
A: This question should be answered by a lawyer licensed in Wisconsin. Those of us licensed in Illinois can provide you an answer if the real estate was located here, but laws vary from state to state and should not rashly assume the answer is the same in Wisconsin.
Q. Me and my ex girlfriend have joint custody in Illinois she goes out every night to meet up with a guy is that child neg
A: That depends. If the child is old enough and mature enough to take care of himself while she's gone, it's probably not neglect. If the child isn't old enough and mature enough to take care of himself while she's gone, but she leaves the child in the care of a responsible adult, that's probably not neglect either. If the child isn't old enough and mature enough to take care of himself while she's gone and she leaves him on his own anyway, that's probably neglect.
Q. My lease says im responsible for pest control but I live in an apartment building. My apartment has bedbugs.
A: An attorney can't give good advice on your question without having a copy of the lease in front of him or her. You'll need to meet with a lawyer.
Q. Do you always need a lawyer for a child support case if we were never married?
A: Strictly speaking, no. Practically speaking, yes. You can build a house without a carpenter, a plumber or an electrician, but how good a house will it be? Similarly, you can present your own case before the judge, but how good a case will it be? Borrow the money from friends and relatives if you have to, but you should have a lawyer who knows what it takes to win these cases.
Q. When buying property can you do anything if existing neighbors have built on or over your property line?
A: That depends on a number of factors which need to be explored in a conversation with a lawyer experienced in such problems. For example: 1. Has an easement allowing the shed to cross the line been recorded? If so, is the shed within the legal description provided in the easement? 2. Did the neighbor sign a long-term lease with a prior owner of your property permitting the shed to be there? 3. Has the shed been there over 20 years? You need a professional survey to determine where the shed is in relation to the property line. Anything else is too unreliable.
Q. First hearing for my 3 year old son, never married.
A: Opposing parties frequently claim they have evidence that will keep a person from ever seeing his or her child again. It's nonsense -- don't worry about it. If such evidence existed you'd know what it was. And Marilyn Johnson is right in saying the misdemeanor battery shouldn't matter (unless you battered a child of yours).
Q. What power of attorney do you need to sign if you are dying? My friend is single mom, poor and very sick. Thank you
A: Three documents come to mind: 1. A will, not just to dispose of her earthly possessions, but primarily to nominate a guardian to care for her children after she passes; 2. A Power of Attorney for Property allowing someone to manage her affairs until her death; and 3. A Power of Attorney for Health Care allowing someone to make medical decisions for her when she becomes unable to do so.
Q. can I sue for severance pay been delayed?
A: Your best bet is to re-submit the paperwork. A lawsuit will take months (and possibly years) to settle the issue.
Q. I was involved in motor vehicle accident against UBER. Currently filing a lawsuit and I have child support obligations?
A: These are questions to take to the lawyer handling your case. He or she is intimately familiar with details about your circumstances that uniquely enable him or her to give you accurate advice. You've already committed to pay that lawyer a large fee. You should feel free to pose your questions to that lawyer.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
James G. Ahlberg, Attorney at Law
501 6th Avenue
P.O. Box 358
Rochelle, IL 61068
Telephone: (815) 562-4443