Free Consultation: (360) 657-3886Tap to Call This Lawyer
Profile Image Placeholder

Jahnis John Abelite

  • DUI & DWI, Traffic Tickets, Criminal Law ...
  • Washington
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A
Practice Areas
    DUI & DWI
    Traffic Tickets
    Suspended License
    Criminal Law
    Expungement, Gun Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
    Estate Planning
    Health Care Directives, Wills
    Family Law
    Child Custody, Child Support, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    I accept MasterCard, VISA, Discover and American Express as well as Debit cards with either a MasterCard or VISA logo on them.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Washington State Bar Association
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Latvian: Spoken, Written
Seattle University School of Law
J.D. (1975)
Seattle University School of Law Logo
Professional Associations
Washington State Bar  # 11644
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
7 Questions Answered

Q. For a traffic ticket received in Snohomish County by a WA State Trooper, who is the Plaintiff and who is the prosecutor?
A: Unless you are issued a traffic infraction or citation by a city policeman or a federal officer, e.g., national park ranger, the plaintiff is the State of Washington and not the county. You must respond within 15 days of the date you received the infraction or traffic ticket. You address your request for discovery to the court clerk and send a copy to the prosecutor's office (you will not be told his or her specific name) with proof of delivery, e.g., first class certified mail or priority mail with return receipt. Good Luck!
Q. What will my consequences be when my court date comes around?
A: It depends. If the officer did not have you do any field sobriety tests and he did not get a warrant for a blood draw, then there shouldn't be any basis for a DUI charge to be filed against you. It appears that he could issue a traffic infraction for expired tabs which is not a criminal traffic violation but a non-moving traffic violation. However, as you are under 21, you could be charged with possession of marijuana which is a criminal offense that is a misdemeanor with a penalty of up to 90 days in jail and/or a $1,000.00 fine. Get a lawyer immediately and schedule a consultation. Good Luck!
Q. Cop told me he wasn't going to give me a ticket. He didn't hand me any papers. 2 weeks later I got a ticket in the mail.
A: It depends. First, a speeding violation is issued in a document called an infraction, commonly called a ticket, that only can require a driver to pay a fine and there is no possibility of jail time or other personal penalties. Citations are normally criminal citations, also called criminal traffic citations, and are issued for criminal traffic violations such as for DUI, Reckless Driving, etc. The officer is not required to issue or give the driver anything in writing at the time of the traffic stop. Also, drivers are no longer required to sign any document when either an infraction or criminal citation is issued to them at the time of the traffic stop. As to what you should now do with the infraction, your best course of action is to consult with an experienced traffic lawyer to see what your best course of action will be in handling this infraction. Just paying the infraction or ticket may not be the best course of action for you as it could raise your auto insurance rates and possibly affect your driving record. Good luck!
View More Answers
Contact & Map
16710 Smokey Point Blvd, Suite 200
Arlington, WA 98223
Telephone: (360) 657-3886
Fax: (360) 657-3719