Free Consultation: (205) 802-0696Tap to Call This Lawyer
Jack T. Carney

Jack T. Carney

Carney Law, LLC
  • Elder Law, Estate Planning, Probate
  • Alabama
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

The focus of my law practice is helping people develop a thoughtful estate plan to better protect their loved ones in the event of death or disability. I want to use my knowledge and experience to help families avoid problems and disputes during normal life transitions. I also handle a variety of probate and trust matters, including estate administrations, guardianships and conservatorships.

General business planning is usually a part of estate planning for business owners. I often help clients get their business house in order during the estate planning process, ensuring that the proper documents are in place to ensure a smooth operation and eventual succession.

I have a particular passion for special needs planning, which is estate planning for the benefit of someone who is developmentally disabled or who may be receiving needs-based government assistance. Special needs planning can greatly enhance such an individual’s life. It is also necessary to be even more deliberate and thoughtful in a special needs plan, as we are providing for someone who will likely never be able to care for themselves.

Practice Areas
    Elder Law
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
Additional Practice Area
  • Special Needs Planning
  • Free Consultation
    We are willing to provide a no-obligation consultation for estate planning services. We are unable to provide a fee quote until after we learn about a client's situation. If the client decides to engage us, the initial meeting is included in the total cost.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
Professional Experience
Sirote & Permutt, P.C.
Tulane University School of Law
Tulane University School of Law Logo
Pro Bono Service Certificate of Appreciation
Alabama Access to Justice Commission
In recognition of providing 50 or more hours of pro bono service to low income residents in Alabama
L. Burton Barnes, III Award for Public Service
Birmingham Bar Association
Professional Associations
Birmingham Bar Association
- Current
Activities: Member of the Small Firm/Solo Section
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Certified Elder Law Attorney (CELA)
National Elder Law Foundation
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
121 Questions Answered
Q. My dad died in October. He had his property and assets in a trust for me and my 2 sisters. How do we resolve a disagree
A: The terms of the trust itself will address the division of the property and the Trustee is the individual or entity in charge of carrying out those wishes. Those facts will address how the situation may be resolved.

However, you may want to consider some form of alternative dispute resolution, like mediation. Courts exist to help people resolve disputes. However the court process can be costly and time consuming. Mediation is a process that helps individuals resolve disputes more effectively and you may even preserve your family relationship.

Good luck.
Q. Hello, my father was killed, He had a wife and 3 children. In this case, how is the estate usually divided?
A: I’m sorry for your loss. If your father had no Will, then the estate passes by the laws of intestacy. Those laws provide that one half of the estate passes to his spouse and the other half passes to his children.

The estate does not include assets that pass automatically, such as joint property and assets with a specific beneficiary. Finally, a spouse may be entitled to some additional benefits from an estate (called the exemptions).

Good luck and I wish you all well.
Q. When my mom an dad died he had 3 wills all hand written none by a attorney none noterized one in 2017 one in 2019 an one
A: I am sorry about your family's loss. I am happy to hear that your father at least attempted to write a Will. Most people do not make that effort and it can lead to problems after death.

In order to be a valid Will in Alabama the document must be signed, dated and witnessed by two individuals. It is ok that it is handwritten, so long as it also contains the signatures of the witnesses. The good news is that the probate process is meant to help determine what document constitutes the decedent's Last Will and Testament. You may actually be able to file all three documents and ask a probate judge to decide which (if any) will be the Will for purposes of the estate administration. If your father did not have a valid Will, he will be treated as dying "intestate" and his assets will pass according to those rules.

Good luck.

This answer is meant to provide general information and should not be considered legal advice for your particular situation. Further, this communication does not create an attorney client relationship.
... Read More
View More Answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
300 Office Park Drive
Suite 160
Birmingham, AL 35243
Telephone: (205) 802-0696
Fax: (205) 969-8182