Free Consultation: (954) 755-8501Tap to Call This Lawyer
Ira Markowitz

Ira Markowitz

Ira F. Markowitz, Attorney at Law
  • Divorce, Estate Planning, Family Law ...
  • Florida
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

I have been a Florida practicing attorney since 1974 with extensive background and experience for the past 46 years.
I am a former Assistant State Attorney (Dade County) having worked for Richard Gerstein then Janet Reno (former U.S. Attorney).
I have worked for Servicios Legales De Miami (Legal Services of Greater Miami) manager of the Wynwood office with numerous Family cases and later working for Courshon & Berk P.A. in real estate litigation.
I currently practice Family Law, Real Estate Litigation Wills and Trusts and Probate.

Practice Areas
    Contested Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Family Law
    Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Personal Injury
    Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
    Foreclosure Defense
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
    Real Estate Law
    Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate
  • Free Consultation
    Limited to first time contacts and for 15 minutes .
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
    Personal Injury cases only
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Justia 10% discount
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Federal Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Ira F. Markowitz, Attorney at Law
University Of Miami
J.D. (1974)
Placeholder image for education.
University of Wisconsin - Madison
B.A. (1971) | Political Science
Member Phi Kappa Theta
Activities: Student member of the University Housing Board
University of Wisconsin - Madison Logo
Professional Associations
US Trial & Bankruptcy Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Florida Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
30 Questions Answered
Q. If a spouse dies and they have credit card debt, who is responsible for paying if only the spouse is on the card?
A: Assuming it’s a Florida probate of a Will the creditor would have to file a claim against the estate and the spouse is not responsible for the decedents credit card debt. If the estate files a timely Obligation to the Claim & serves a Notice to Creditors with that objection then the creditor would have 30 days to file a lawsuit if not the claim against the estate would be barred.
Q. My dad passed. He wanted me to have his car. I have the title and I`m one of 3 POA's. How do I transfer his car title?
A: I’m sorry for your loss

The Power of attorney is no longer in effect upon your Father’s death

However, if he left a Tangible personal property list giving you the car or bequeath the car to you in his will you can get the car titled in you name

A Tag agency with that and a death certificate may be helpful if not please see a Florida estate attorney for proceedings depending on the estate assets
Q. If I live in the United States and my spouse lives in Puerto Rico can I file for divorce in the United States
A: Where did you live last as husband & wife?

That would be a venue issue if your wife raises an objection

As long as you lived I assume Flo for at least last 6 months to you can file for a dissolution of marriage here in Florida.

Although Puerto Rico is not a state it’s a territory of the USA .
View More Answers
Contact & Map
5421 University Drive
Suite 101
Coral Springs, FL 33067
Telephone: (954) 755-8501
Fax: (954) 510-8501