Free Consultation: (925) 289-8574Tap to Call This Lawyer
Indy G. Colbath

Indy G. Colbath

Going through a divorce is hard. Give yourself the gift of making it easier.
  • Family Law, Divorce, Domestic Violence
  • California
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Indy Colbath is a licensed California attorney who has focused the entirety of her legal career on family law issues, including: divorce, annulment, child custody, child support, spousal support, property division, and domestic violence restraining orders. Indy has a breadth of courtroom experience she relies upon when assessing her clients’ family law matters, as well as strong relationships with the local legal community and bench. Indy has effectively represented her clients in an array of complex family law litigation, many of which involving high net worth individuals. Even though Indy has a passion for courtroom advocacy, she understands that every family law case is different, and in certain matters it is more appropriate to settle than it is to engage in costly litigation. Indy consistently advises her clients of the costs and benefits of compromising versus fighting in court. But in matters that are litigated, Indy vigorously and effectively represents her clients’ interests. In addition to her focus on outstanding advocacy, Indy strives to provide excellent service to her clients by making herself consistently approachable and available. As a solo practitioner, Indy personally supervises each of her cases from their outset to completion, and keeps her clients well informed of their case status.

Practice Areas
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • Domestic Violence
  • Free Consultation
    Free 30 minute consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Associate Attorney
Family Law Group, LLP
California Western School of Law
J.D. (2013) | Child, Family and Elder Law
Activities: The Child, Family and Elder Law Society
California Western School of Law Logo
University of California - Davis
B.A. (2008) | Sociology with emphasis in Law and Society
Honors: Graduated with Honors
Activities: ASUCD Gender and Sexuality Commission; Campus Violence Prevention Program; Women Escaping a Violent Environment crisis line counselor; Kappa Alpha Theta
University of California - Davis Logo
Wiley W. Manual Pro Bono Award
San Diego County Bar Association
Professional Associations
Contra Costa County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Eastern Alameda County Bar Association
Board Member
- Current
Activities: Member of the Eastern Alameda County Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Alameda County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Alameda County Family Law Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
State Bar of California # 292680
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
San Diego County Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Firm website
Legal Answers
9 Questions Answered

Q. I filled for parentage and 50/50 custody, then the mother filed for child support. What do I do? Which takes precedence
A: Child custody is decided first, because child support is calculated by looking at the time share percentages per each parent, each parent's incomes, tax filing status, and tax deductions. Answering this question does not constitute legal advice; does not guarantee any outcome, nor does it constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship.
Q. How long does spousal support typically continue in cases of long-term marriages?
A: Post-dissolution litigation of spousal support is one of the most difficult and expensive undertakings in family law. For long term marriages, the law states that there is a presumption of permanent support, until the death of either party, or the remarriage of the supported spouse. Courts do recognize that circumstances change, including but not limited to the paying spouse retiring, the recipient spouse moving in with a new partner, the recipient spouse earning more money, etc. Ultimately, the trial judge has discretion on whether or not to order a modification or termination. You should consult with a local attorney to obtain their opinion about your matter. Answering this question does not constitute legal advice, guarantee any outcomes, nor does it constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship.
Q. Would contempt of court filing help me get property? We have ongoing dissolution family law case and she has been order
A: If the order says that she must sign the deed but fails to do so, you can file a motion to request an "elisor" which is the court clerk signing in her place. You should contact an attorney to assist you in preparing this motion.
Q. My x of 17 years is trying to take away my conservatorship that we share of our 24 year old son who has Down syndrome.
A: You should re-post this question in Probate- conservatorships are handled in probate court, not family court.
Q. If I file for divorce-respondent defaults w/agreement -does he pay fee to court?
A: If Respondent does not file a response, and you proceed as a default judgment with an agreement, then the Respondent will not have to pay the filing fee.
Q. What r my chances to move from CA to NM with my son if dad will fight me. My son is 11 and doesn't want to stay with him
A: You are seeking what is known as a "move away" order, and these can be difficult to achieve. There are several factors the court will consider, and these frequently lead to long trials if the non-moving parent opposes the move. You should meet with an attorney to discuss your case and see what your case's strengths and weaknesses are.
Q. Can I remarry right away in another state once I receive my default judgment approval filed in California?
A: You need to wait until you receive your final judgment before you can remarry, otherwise your second marriage will be invalid as bigamous, and it can cause several other legal problems down the road. The court will not prepare your judgment for you, you must do so yourself. If you have already submitted your judgment to the court for approval, then you need to wait until you get it back. The judgment is on the judicial council form, FL-180, and you will also receive a Notice of Entry of Judgment, the FL-190. After you receive your final judgment, you can get remarried in any state you choose. The state where you marry does not matter.
Q. I want to know my legal rights and obligations regarding my estranged young teenaged son.
A: Unfortunately, since your son is still a minor, you are obligated to provide support to him until he reaches the age of majority or is emancipated. A child's bad behavior does not excuse the parent's obligation to support him or her. You may want to consult with an attorney who can determine whether the ordered child support is the proper amount based on your respective incomes.
Q. Is there any way to change a final divorce Judgment because my ex-wife hid money from California court?
A: Depending upon when your divorce was entered, you may be able to set aside the judgment due to fraud. Furthermore, support is always modifiable post-judgment based on changes in circumstances. You should consult an attorney and ask them if the set-aside remedy is available based on the statute of limitations.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
The Law Office of Indy Colbath
1299 Newell Hill Pl.
Ste 303
Walnut Creek, CA 94596-7020
Telephone: (925) 289-8574