Top-rated criminal defense lawyer for OUI DUI defense & state and federal defense in the greater Bangor, Maine area. Hunter has successfully defended people accused of homicide, sex offenses, drug charges, aggravated assault, theft, drug charges, property crimes, domestic violence, OUI / DUI, and other serious felonies and misdemeanors.
Hunter's practices focuses on defending Maine people and its visitors, working people, parents, college students, professionals, military personnel, juveniles and other individuals facing criminal charges in the greater Bangor, Maine area for charges including:
OUI / DUI / Drunk Driving
Homicide / Manslaughter / Murder
Theft / Embezzlement
All Other Felony and Misdemeanor Charges
Speeding Ticket and Traffic Violations
We strive to provide the best defense and highest quality representation for each and every client.
Hunter is a past President of the Maine Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, and serves as a member of the Maine Rule of Evidence Committee. He is also an active member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and National Police Accountability Project. Hunter has been named as a top rated criminal defense lawyer by Super Lawyers since 2016. He is admitted to practice in all courts within the State of Maine, the United States District Court for the District of Maine, the First Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court.
- Appeals & Appellate
- Criminal Law
- Traffic Tickets
- White Collar Crime
- Juvenile Law
- DUI & DWI
- Domestic Violence
- Gov & Administrative Law
- Car Accidents
- Constitutional Law
- Federal Crimes
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Credit Cards Accepted
- Contingent Fees
- Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
Flat Rates and Payment Plans Available for Most Cases.
- 1st Circuit
- 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- President of Maine Criminal Lawyers Association
- University of Maine - Orono
- Honors: Rezendes Ethics Award
- Quinnipiac University School of Law
- Honors: Outstanding Legal Scholarship Award; Best Brief National Moot Court Honor Society; Am Jur Award Advanced Trial Practice
- Activities: Editor, Quinnipiac Law Review
- Best Brief
- National Moot Court Society
- National Police Accountability Project
- National Lawyers Guild
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Maine Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Maine Trial Lawyers Association
- National Health Law Moot Court Competition: Best Brief
- The Journal of Legal Medicine
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- National Trial Lawyers
- Q. I'm looking for a lawyer to appear in court for me tomorrow at 830 in machias maine for an oui. Any suggestions?
- A: Sorry I didn’t see the message sooner. If you’re still looking for a lawyer for this case you may want to try Jeff Davidson.
- Q. How long does a felony 1st appearance in Maine take? Do you have to wait until everyone's done before leaving?
- A: You're right about that. The judge usually calls the case in alphabetical order by last name.
- Q. fictitious inspection sticker in ME, 1st offense
- A: On the insurance, if you contest the ticket and send in proof of insurance that ticket should be dismissed. On the inspection sticker charge, it is a class E misdemeanor that carries a maximum penalty of 180 days in jail and $1000 fine. Those are the maximum penalties. Jail time is not mandatory.
- Q. In Maine, at what point in the pre-trial process is a person released, and how would someone's bail be denied?
- A: The bail would be argued at the initial appearance. If someone is granted bail they are released right away after the initial appearance. Hope that helps. Thanks
- Q. If a 17 year old boy commited simple arson but it was his first offence of arson how may years in jail will he get
- A: If he is charged as a juvenile, the maximum penalty could be a commitment to the juvenile jail until the age of 21. It does not mean he would receive this but that would be the maximum. If the State is able to bind him over and charge him as an adult, the maximum penalty for arson is 30 years in prison. Several factors would effect what sentence is imposed, including any prior history, the severity of the arson, and the strength of the State's case against him.
- Q. how do I find out if there is a warrant out for my brother who lived in Maine
- A: You can contact the court where the charge is and ask. If it's an arrest warrant it may be sealed until he's arrested so you would not be able to find out through the court. Typically only warrants for failure to appear in court are public record. Arrest warrants for new cases are typically sealed until the person has been arrested.
- Q. Contributing to someone's death in a hospital .. I need to know who to talk to or what to do ?
- A: If this is a case involving medical negligence, you should contact a medical practice lawyer. I do not handle medical malpractice claims. Sorry I can't be more help on this. Thanks
- Q. I have a pfa on me on behalf of my kids but was ordered phone calls with them at 7 PM is it a violation to text instead
- A: I would have to see the PFA order to know for sure, but if the Order specifies phone calls only then any other contact, including through text, is likely a violation of the Order.
- Q. I am 24 and on 2 occasions I have received bjs from a 17year old is that legal
- A: It is illegal under federal law. It would not be illegal under Maine law if it was consensual.