Gus M. Shihab Esq
  • Immigration Law
  • Ohio
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

AV Rated by Martindale-Hubble
Life Member – Multimillion Dollar Advocates Forum
10.0/10.0 Avvo Rating

Practice Area
  • Immigration Law
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
6th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. Supreme Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Arabic: Spoken, Written
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
The Law Firm of Shihab & Associates
The Law Firm of Shihab & Associates, Co., LPA
- Current
Shihab & Associates, Co., LPA
Capital University Law School
J.D. | Law
Capital University Law School Logo
Ohio State University - Columbus
B.S. | Civil Engineering
Ohio State University - Columbus Logo
Life Member
Multimillion Dollar Advocates Forum
AV Rating
Professional Associations
Ohio State Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Immigration Lawyers Association, Ohio Chapter
Chapter Chair
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Immigration Lawyers Association
Vice Chair
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Gus M Shihab's Website Profile
The Law Firm of Shihab & Associates Website
Legal Answers
51 Questions Answered

Q. Can you appeal a change in trial date
A: Dear Sir/Madam Judges have a great discretion in the management of their dockets. On that basis, it is difficult to appeal a decision of the Judge to move a trial date. However, if moving the trial date forward or backward resulted in a great detriment to one of the parties and the Judge was made aware of the potential harm to one of the parties to the litigation but the judge having been fully advised and credible evidence presented, such a party may have an appealable claim. Gus M. Shihab
Q. Is battery a m 1
A: Depending on the seriousness of the injuries battery could be either a misdemeanor or a felony in Ohio.
Q. What is the fine for ohio code 4301.62B4
A: Dear Sir/Madam This provision relates to Ohio's Open Container Law. The maximum fine is $100. Gus M. Shihab
Q. I am currently renting a home and am having plumbing issues , my landlord is informing me its my problem. Is ths my prb
A: Dear Sir/Madam You should check your lease to find out whether it has a provision relative to maintaining the premises. If the lease says that the landlord shall maintain the place, then he is responsible. If not, you maybe stuck with it. But if the issues relating to the premises are as such that renders the house inhabitable, you can argue that the repairs are his problem notwithstanding. Gus M. Shihab
Q. N-400 and Alien Registration Card have my current name bur N-445 has my old name.
A: Dear Sir/Madam First congratulations on receiving the notice for your oath of ceremony. This is a very exciting time in your immigration process as it symbolizes the conclusion of your immigration journey and the beginning of your life as a full citizen. It appears that you requested your name to be changed as part of the naturalization process. If the notice had your old name on it, I would immediately make an InfoPass appointment at this website: and see an immigration officer about making certain that your naturalization certificate has your new name on it. A trip to your InfoPass appointment can save you a lot of hassle in trying to correct an erroneously issued naturalization certificate. Best of luck Gus M. Shihab
Q. I am on F1 visa, no OPT, Visa screen clearence. Can I join Profit company (sponsoring H1b) at any time of year?
A: Dear Sir/Madam, I actually wrote an article about this on my website. You can find it here: You can work for a "for profit" employer and still be exempt from the numerical cap. I suggest you take a close look at my article as I have represented many people in a situation described in the article. Best of luck. Gus M. Shihab
Q. When child born in USA to illegal alien, what are their rights
A: Dear Sir/Madam, You describe a situation which is very typical of undocumented immigrants. The children are obviously US Citizens and can stay but the problem is that the mother may not be. We do not know the mother's full legal situation and whether she is able to somehow qualify for immigration. But if she is unable to do so, you will find the US Immigration Authorities and the Immigration Judges not very sympathetic of this situation. Even if the Children do not know if anything about Mexico, the Judges are not very sympathetic and they could suggest that the mother take the children to Mexico with her. Thew writer has been in Immigration Court before numerous times and witnessed similar situations treated in this manner. I suggest that the mother seek the assistance of competent immigration counsel to examine her situation carefully and find out whether there are ways for her to remain in the US. It appears that the mother may have been present in the US for 10 years and she could be eligible for relief from removal called "cancellation of removal." However, this needs to be inquired about carefully with immigration counsel. Best of luck. Gus M. Shihab
Q. I got deported fro U.S to UKRAINE because of my criminal offenses , now i want to try canada do u think thats possible??
A: Dear Sir/Madam, Canadian Immigration Law is not as harsh on criminal offenses as US Immigration laws. Under Canadian Immigration law, you could still be admissible depending on the nature of the crime, the length of time since the crime was committed and whether you can demonstrate that you are "deemed rehabilitated" or "applied for rehabilitation." In addition, if you can show that you have been pardoned or received a temporary resident card. You should consult with an experienced immigration lawyer if you desire to immigrate to Canada to fully analyze your situation and advise you relative to your chances and the course of action. Best wishes, Gus M. Shihab
Q. How long it takes for uscis to respond for my lawsuit?
A: Dear Sir/Madam, If you filed a complaint for Mandamus against the USCIS or if you filed a petition for review, the government normally has 60 days to answer by regulations. The attorneys could request additional time to respond by agreement of the parties or by leave of Court with the showing of good cause. I hope I answered your question. Gus M. Shihab
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
The Law Firm of Shihab & Associates
Columbus, OH
65 E State St
Columbus, OH 43215
Toll-Free: (877) 479-4872
Telephone: (614) 255-4872
Fax: (614) 255-4870
The Law Firm of Shihab & Associates
Southfield, MI
2000 Town Center
Southfield, MI 48075
Toll-Free: (877) 479-4872
Telephone: (248) 223-4872
Fax: (800) 548-4801
The Law Firm of Shihab & Associates
Cleveland, OH
600 Superior Ave E
Cleveland, OH 44114
Toll-Free: (877) 479-4872
Telephone: (216) 621-4872
Fax: (800) 548-4801
The Law Firm of Shihab & Associates
Washington, DC
1725 I St NW
Washington, DC 20006
Toll-Free: (877) 479-4872
Telephone: (202) 783-4872
Fax: (202) 548-4801