Free Consultation: (703) 684-2000Tap to Call This Lawyer
F. Paul Maloof

F. Paul Maloof

Working hard for you and achieving success for our clients at competitive fees.
  • Landlord Tenant, Business Law, Real Estate Law...
  • Maryland, Virginia
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

I give my clients personal attention and have done so for more than 40 years in Virginia and Maryland. As a partner in a well established Alexandria City law firm, I provide my clients with legal services and skills at a high quality level and at reasonable hourly rates in Northern Virginia, including Fairfax County. I work with individuals, as well as small and large businesses. I advise clients who are consumers and professionals on a range of issues, specifically; fair business practices, business contract disputes, landlord and tenant law, residential real estate matters, loan documentation, commercial leases, business acquisitions, estate planning and serving as general civil litigation counsel. I have an AV rating with Martindale-Hubbell that is the highest rating regarding competence and ethics for lawyers. I accept cases on an hourly billing basis. I do not take cases on a contingency fee basis. I served in the U.S. Marine Corps and am happy to provide professional legal advice to all current and retired military personnel in the metropolitan Washington, DC region. I am currently accepting new clients so give me a call to discuss the matter that has you concerned and how I can be of service. Please see the fields of law in which I practice. If my practice areas do not fit your needs, one of my 12 partners will most likely be able to advise you. Call me today to discuss the problem that you face and to set up an office appointment so I can help you construct a resolution in your favor. You need to take the first step. Call me today at 703-684-2000.

Practice Areas
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Business Law
  • Real Estate Law
  • Estate Planning
Additional Practice Areas
  • General Civil Litigation
  • Mergers & Acquisitions/Secured Transactions
  • Foreign Judgments/Domestication & Enforcement
  • Commercial, Consumer & Medical Collections
  • Free Consultation
    I offer a complementary 10 minute consultation by telephone. There are some cases that I will accept for a fixed fee. Call me today about your situation so we can discuss the issue and how it may be resolved.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    MasterCard, Visa and American Express
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Hourly rate depends on the complexity of the case
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Redmon, Peyton & Braswell, LLP
- Current
Georgetown University Law Center
J.D. | Law
Georgetown University Law Center Logo
Georgetown University
B.S. (1975) | Accounting & Economics
Honors: Who's Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges
Georgetown University Logo
Who’s Who in the World
Who’s Who in the World
Who's Who in American Law
Who's Who in American Law
Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges
Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges
Professional Associations
Alexandria City Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Maryland State Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Virginia State Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Legal Answers
655 Questions Answered

Q. I am planning to break my lease 2 months early. Trying to understand my rights prior to signing a notice to vacate.
A: You may try to use the unauthorized entry as a way to avoid liability but I think it will not be successful because landlord was repairing an issue with a leak in the premises that would benefit the tenant.
Q. In Virginia must I send the FINAL copy of the Unlawful Detainer to the tenant?
A: Under Virginia law, there is no requirement for the landlord to send the tenant a copy of the final order of judgment and possession, however, you may if you want to. The landlord also is not required to send the tenant a copy of the Writ of Eviction since the Sheriff's Office will serve that Writ on the tenant at the premises and thus the service of process will give the tenant notice of that Writ.
Q. Can you sue a company because it’s product caused injury to your child and yourself
A: You need to ask a products liability lawyer your questions. I do not handle that type of case. Sorry.
Q. What options do tenants have if landlord disconnect wifi, additionally wifi, cable and the like were included in lease
A: In Virginia, if the lease provides that the landlord shall provide wifi, cable and the like yet disconnects those services, the tenant can bring a claim against the landlord for breach of the lease contract.
Q. My landlord never gave me a new lease to sign. Would that mean I’m on a month to month I’ve lived here for almost 3 yrs
A: Under the law in Virginia, when the initial term of a written lease ends and the lease is not renewed by a written agreement, the lease tenancy becomes a month to month tenancy by operation of law. A month to month tenancy can be terminated by either party by giving the other party a written 30 day notice of termination, which is provided by the Virginia Code.
Q. When accepting rent with reservation, am I required to include the phrase about not waiving my right to evict?
A: The applicable paragraph to have in the letter is as follows: This letter is written to notify you that your rent has been ACCEPTED WITH RESERVATION of all of Landlord’s rights and WITHOUT PREJUDICE to any right the Landlord has to proceed against you in court. This means that the Landlord still has the right to proceed in court against you for the unpaid rent, late charges, court costs, interest, attorney’s fees, damages and to recover possession of the Premises by proceeding with an Unlawful Detainer and an eviction. The Landlord is not waiving any of its rights in this regard.
Q. In Virginia, are all single family rental units now subject to the VRLTA? In the past, some landlords were excluded .
A: The answer to your question is found in the Virginia Code section, as follows: § 55.1-1201. (Effective October 1, 2019) Applicability of chapter; local authority. B. The provisions of this chapter shall apply to occupancy in all single-family and multifamily dwelling units and multifamily dwelling units located in the Commonwealth.
Q. I had let my friends at the time live there in September. In October they didn’t want to pay the rent. So what I did I
A: If you served the tenants with a 5 day notice, in proper form and according the the Virginia Code, to pay or quit on 11/27/19, your next step is to file an Unlawful Detainer with the court in the city/county where the premises is located and have the Sheriff's Office serve the Tenants with the Unlawful Detainer. If the Tenants are properly served, and the Tenants do not appear for the first court date, you can ask the Judge for immediate possession and then you can dispose of the abandoned personal property and change the locks.
Q. if a family member has been living with you for 5 yrs or more, and does chores for room and board, and paid a couple cab
A: The person in question seems to be more like a guest than a tenant.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Redmon, Peyton & Braswell, LLP
510 King Street
Suite 301
Alexandria, VA 22314
Telephone: (703) 684-2000