Free Consultation: (972) 836-2068Tap to Call This Lawyer
Eric Stephen Lafleur

Eric Stephen Lafleur

LaFleur Law Firm, P.C.
  • Divorce, Family Law
  • Texas
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Eric is board certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Free Consultation
    Free forty-five minute consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
LaFleur Law Firm, P.C.
- Current
Practicing family law.
Lucio, LaFleur & Associates, P.L.L.C.
Practicing family law and criminal defense.
Assocaite Attorney
Chamblee & Ryan, P.C.
Practicing insurance defense.
Assocaite Attorney
Touchstone Bernays
Practicing personal injury defense.
Assistant District Attorney
Collin County District Attorney's Office
Felony Prosecutor
Assistant County Attorney
Grayson County Attorney's Office
Misdemeanor Prosecutor.
University Of Texas
Doctor of Jurisprudence/Juris Doctor (J.D.)
Placeholder image for education.
Texas A&M University - College Station
B.S. | Political Science
Honors: Cum Laude
Texas A&M University - College Station Logo
Professional Associations
Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Collin County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Texas State Bar # 24012988
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Board Certification in Family Law
Texas Board Of Legal Specialization
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
12 Questions Answered

Q. In Texas, how old does a child have to be before their wants are taken into consideration?
A: At 12 years old, the judge has to listen to (but isn't bound by) a child's preference as to her primary residence. The judge may, but isn't required to, listen to the child's preference about possession schedules. Her father shouldn't be telling your daughter that he's having to work to pay you. That kind of thing should be kept between the adults.
Q. My ex-wife (common law) filed for child support under the Uniform Interstate Family Support act.
A: You'll need to file a suit to establish custody orders in whatever State the children have been living in for the last 6 months. If they haven't been living in the new State for 6 months yet, you may still be able to file in the State they moved from. Contact a lawyer to assist you with this, since interstate proceedings really are not do-it-yourself issues.
Q. Got charged for an offense in another state, got dismissed and how I got a letter of suspension in Texas. How to fix it?
A: Assuming the Texas suspension is based on the Indiana arrest, you'll need to ask an Indiana attorney. The states have a mutual agreement that, when one suspends a driver's license, the others will reciprocate. So if the suspension is originating from something in Indiana then the problem will have to be addressed there. and the fact that the charge was dismissed might not be determinative. for instance, in Texas if you were arrested for DWI and the charge was later dismissed, your license would still be suspended by DPS if you refused to take the breath test when you were pulled over.
Q. Been with boyfriend for 18 years do we need to divorce an does he owe me any kinda of support . we live in texas
A: Need more detail to be able to answer your question. the first issue is whether or not you and your boyfriend are considered to be married or not. this depends on whether you've lived together and, while living together, agreed to be married and represented yourselves to third parties as husband and wife. If you meet those elements, you will be considered to be informally ("common law") married. As for support, you can ask for post-divorce support if you have been married for more than 10 years and if you don't have the ability to provide for your minimum reasonable needs through employment. You'll want to sit down and talk with a lawyer about these issues.
Q. Where or how can I locate a Family service center for having supervised visits with my child in a neutral setting?
A: Try looking here: The directory has three listings for Longview.
Q. How to do a legal seperation in Texas
A: Texas really doesn't recognize formal separations - you're either married or you're not.
Q. I have been divorced since 2004, but my ex and I reconciled, bought a home, and have luved together since in Texas
A: A common law marriage is established when a man and a woman: 1. Agree to be married; 2. Hold themselves out to others as being married; and 3. Live together. So, to answer your question, it depends on whether or not you've "held out" as husband and wife - meaning, have you represented yourselves to third parties as being married (if there's significant evidence of holding out to third parties, the Court will likely imply the agreement to be married). Some of the primary things a Court will look at to see if you've held out as husband and wife are: 1. deeds to property (does your deed refer to you as "husband and wife" or "married persons"?); 2. Income tax filings (did you file as married?); and 3. Whether one of you is carrying the other on his or her health insurance as a spouse. If there is a common law marriage, then you would have to file another divorce suit to terminate it - just the same as if you'd had a ceremonial marriage.
Q. Can Texas suspend a DL from California after a DWI charge?
A: Texas can't suspend a California license directly, but there is an agreement among the States that, if one State suspends your driving privileges, the other States will reciprocate.
Q. A woman I was divorced from years ago had a child and gave it my last name. It is not my child.
A: I think the issue will be whether she retained your last name after the divorce. Did she?
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
700 Central Expy. S.
Ste. 400
Allen, TX 75013
Telephone: (972) 836-2068
Fax: (972) 468-9551