Free Consultation: (414) 933-4144Tap to Call This Lawyer
Emmanuel Muwonge

Emmanuel Muwonge

Competence Compassion & Concern Play Major Roles Representing Injured Client
  • Personal Injury, Insurance Claims, Medical Malpractice...
  • Wisconsin
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Emmanuel L. Muwonge has been practising Personal Injury law for the last 28 years. The Accident & Personal Injury Law Firm of Emmanuel L. Muwonge & Associates, LLC., handles a variety of Personal Injury claims and cases arising from Automobile & Truck Accidents, Bus Accidents, Train Accidents and Premises Liability cases. The Emmanuel L. Muwonge has successfully handled and litigated cases before the Wisconsin Court of Appeals and the Wisconsin Supreme Court. The most high-profile case of national significance handled is Antuan A. vs. Heritage Insurance Company,, 224 Wis. 2d 44. The Supreme Court in Antuan A. clarified the standard of care and responsibilities and duties to tenants and frequenters of a Wisconsin residential landlord regarding lead paint poisoning.

Practice Areas
  • Personal Injury
  • Insurance Claims
  • Medical Malpractice
  • Products Liability
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Asbestos & Mesothelioma
  • Civil Rights
  • Free Consultation
    Each potential client has a 30 minute Free No Obligation Consultation either over the telephone, in the office or at home or in the hospital or healthcare facility.
  • Contingent Fees
    Pursuant to Wisconsin State Statute § 757.36, we charge 33% of any recovery we secure for and on behalf of the client. We advance any and all costs necessary to handle a client's case. If we don't recover the client owes nothing.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    I provide Free Consultations at Home, Hospital or Telephonically.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
7th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Latin: Written
  • Luganda: Spoken, Written
  • Swahili: Spoken
Professional Experience
Attorney at Law
Emmanuel L. Muwonge & Associates, LLC
- Current
Personal Injury Law Practice
Marquette University Law School
J.D. (1987) | Law
Marquette University Law School Logo
Professional Associations
Wisconsin State Bar # 1019057
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Wisconsin Bar Association  # WI 1019057
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Legal Answers
24 Questions Answered

Q. Can i sue for damages for auto accident if other person was at fault
A: Yes you may sue for damages because you were not at fault. The only issue I would be concerned about given the facts as laid out is whether or not you were speeding. That would be relevant because, when speeding, you forfeit the right of way you otherwise may have had. The right of way is not absolute. As relates to damages, it depends upon what damages they are. However, it appears to me that the insurance company wants you to bear a significant portion of the damages which they have characterized as 30%. If you sustained injuries, you may wish to consult with a personal injury lawyer in your area to determine what if any your damages might be. If it is only property damage then you need to also consider how much damage your vehicle sustained versus what they allege was caused by your negligence on their insured's vehicle. You need to consult with a practitioner in your area but based upon the limited facts I have seen, I believe that if they failed to yield the right of way and there is no credible evidence that you were speeding, they need to honor the claim or, failing which, you are entitled of course to file a lawsuit against their insured and that insurance company. Be advised that you have 3 yrs from the date of the accident within which to file any lawsuit. You must file the lawsuit before the expiration of the 3 yrs and do so within that period and serve the summons and complaint on the insurance company via their registered agent as well as personally serve the driver of their insured vehicle. You need a process server to do this. Please consult with someone as it is less likely you will get any meaningful justice without such. Thank you very much. This is not legal advice of course.
Q. Why aren't there any federal laws that protect all animals?
A: The Act you took issue with was not intended to regulate how animals are used for research purposes, but only to set standards for how they are obtained and maintained at a facility APHIS's Animal Care (AC) program oversees the AWA, which includes about 10,300 facilities. These AC officials make unannounced facility inspections to ensure they are in compliance with regulations, and to identify unregistered facilities. If you are interested in the enforcement of standards governing how individuals treat animals, this appears to be one such regulation. Please note that under the USDA definition of animal, you will find that most warm-blooded animals are covered although said regulations appear to exclude birds, rats and mice bred for use in research. Additionally, The Humane Slaughter Act, or the Humane Methods of Livestock Slaughter Act found at 7 U.S.C. 1901 et seq.) is a US Federal regulation intended to address the suffering of livestock during their slaughter. The USDA enforces this law under their Food Safety and Inspection Services. The proper treatment and humane handling of all food animals slaughtered in USDA inspected slaughter plants is the subject of this Act. As such, I would argue that it does, indeed, address the conduct of individuals which is your concern if I understood your query correctly. I am not sure if I have provided you with any meaningful information and therefore encourage you to please advise so that I may try to address what exactly you are trying to figure out. I must say that I don't do Animal Law and simply trying to provide you with the little information available to me. As such, this is not legal advice of course.
Q. How long can a person hold a claim open on you from an auto accident?
A: Thank you for your question. Except in cases of medical malpractice or wrongful death, a minor has two years from the date of his or her 18th birthday to file suit. If however, the victim was an adult, the statute of limitations is 3 years from the date of the accident or from the time s/he could have discovered the injuries, whichever is earlier. What you can expect is someone trying to file a lawsuit against your son because he was the driver of the offending vehicle. They may also try to sue the owner of that vehicle on the purported basis that, she should have never permitted her brother (your son) to operate her vehicle allegedly because, she knew or should have known that he was the type of driver that would cause what they will allege, happened. Such premise presupposes that your son (driver) has a record of which any reasonable car owner in your daughter's shoes knew and/or should have known not to permit him to drive said vehicle. I hope that this answer provides you with the information you were looking for.
Q. If I got injured in a car accident due to the other driver's negligence but they have insufficient insurance coverage to
A: Yes. You may file a claim over and above the amount of the special damages in this case, your medical bills. If for example the medical bills are $30,000.00 and the medical pay provisions of the applicable insurance policy are $25,000.00 and the liability coverage is , for example, $50,000.00, there is nothing that prohibits you to collect over and above what your medical bills were and or amounts over the med pay provisions of the applicable insurance policy. Underinsured motorist coverage deals with situations where the other driver’s insurance is far less than what is needed to compensate you. However, If the person who injured you had a $50,000/$100,000 liability limits and you had underinsured motorist coverage in the same amount, you would receive nothing. Those damages include not only medical expenses and loss of income, but the overall impact of a serious accident on the injured person’s quality of life. From your question, it is not clear whether or not you did present a medical bills claim that was paid to the maximum of the policy med pay provisions or, you are just inquiring if that can be done. Whatever you do, please make sure that you do not sign any release releasing the insurance company and their insured from any and all liability because if and when you do, they would be off the hook and you would be unable to present additional claims in the future. Please consult with a practitioner who practices in the Personal Injury area so that you may be helped. I hope that this summary helps you understand what you must do in order to protect your interests and also get the justice you deserve.
Q. I have an aunt in stage 4 cancer who lives in a nursing home. My aunt never selected A Power of Attorney
A: I am not certain as to what your question is and what you are trying to do for your aunt if anything. I would have to guess that you are trying to either manage your auntie's finances and or determine what they might be and or any other issue regarding your auntie's wellbeing in so far as it relates on how her affairs are managed. You indicated that your aunt has since become a ward of the state with her finances in question but I do not really understand what that means from your perspective. Can you please be more specific as to what it is you would like assistance with regarding your inquiry. If and when I am qualified to answer that question I will certainly respond. Until then, I urge you to consult with a Probate attorney who deals with these matters on a frequent basis.
Q. Is a LLC liable for injuries caused by it's uninsured vehicle driven by the owner of the LLC in Wisconsin?
A: I believe that the LLC may be or may not be liable for injuries caused by its uninsured vehicle driven by the owner of the LLC in Wisconsin. First, whether the vehicle is insured has nothing to do with the liability question. Rather, liability for the accident and accompanying injuries is a function of the conduct of the actors involved, in this case, the owner or shareholder. Your question is phrased in such a way that it may or may not mean that there is only one owner. I assume that there are no other owners and that this is a one member LLC. The driver is the only owner of the LLC. If you assume that the driver is acting for and on behalf of the LLC when they drive the vehicle owned by the LLC., then the conclusion legally is that the driver is working for the corporation when the accident and injuries occur. When that happens under those facts, the LLC becomes liable for the injuries. There is a corporate veil which the court will disregard when a limited liability corporation becomes involved in such matters and the owners attempt to prevent creditors from getting at the corporate assets and cash. Courts will disregard the corporate veil which then will be pierced. That veil or wall of protection usually covers or protects the corporation. This, however, is done when and where the corporation does not exist independently. The owner and the corporations are one and the same thing. When the owner treats the business assets or property as their own personal property and does away with or disregards the protocol usually businesses employ , conduct of the owner is considered to be conducted for and on behalf of the LLC. Absent more facts, I am unable to provide additional commentary regarding your question. I believe that based on the very limited facts and circumstances, the LLC can be liable for the accident and injuries caused. When and if the LLC attempts to argue otherwise, the injured party may proceed against the LLC by conducting an investigation into how the LLC is operated, whether the formalities are observed. That said, it does not follow that because the formalities were not observed therefore the court will not pierce the veil of the LLC. Because your question appears to show that you are interested in the liability of the LLC and not the liability of the member-owner, I am not sure whether commenting about the owner himself or herself is useful for the purposes for which you asked the question. Briefly though, the driver who is the owner of the LLC is responsible for their conduct and is not permitted to hide behind the LLC for the accident he caused. The driver here may become liable by virtue of the individual action or individual conduct as opposed to as a shareholder or LLC Member. Even when working or during the scope of one's employment, someone may be personally liable for his own negligence. While the question appears at first glance to be a quick couple of sentence answer, I have ended up providing a response I never anticipated I would. It is my hope that I have shed some light on the question regarding the liability of the LLC which appears to be your focus by discussing the liability of the individual LLC Member driver or lack thereof. To the extent I have muddled the waters, I am sorry and regret it.
Q. seeking counsel prior to fighting tickets and also pressing charges on a civilian for damages
A: I am sorry that you are going through what appears to be a very challenging period in your life. That said, I am also sorry that I cannot figure out what it is you really are trying to communicate and what the best approach would be in providing you with the counsel you need. That notwithstanding, I am pretty certain that, at a minimum, you need counsel with a background in social sciences so that s/he may in turn guide you by pointing you in the appropriate direction so as to enable you to seek and secure the services you need. As you indicated, you need serious advice which you noted must precede your legal battle dealing with the traffic tickets. If these tickets are for moving violations as opposed to parking related violations, and if as you indicated there are circumstances which played a role, and apparently a substantial one, in triggering the hitherto and herein referenced moving violations, you may very well be able to negotiate the dismissal and or amendment of charges to something that may not attract big fines and points off your driving record. For example, if your personal and health-related circumstances are indeed responsible for the conduct which caused you to engage in activity which violated the traffic laws and regulations as a result of which you were issued two [2] citations or tickets, your lawyer may very well be able to negotiate an outcome which would place you in a much better position than that which you otherwise are facing absent any consideration for circumstances giving rise to the alleged violations. Again, I am sorry that I cannot offer you any meaningful answer to the question you posed. Providing you with such would require that you articulate what it is you are being charged with and, because you have alleged what sounds like inducement, figuring out what best suits your matter is going to require more details than you are able to divulge in this public forum. Therefore, I am recommending that you please contact a practitioner who handles traffic-related matters and, if there is a criminal component, someone who has the background, experience and whose practice includes handling criminal traffic offenses. I wish you the best of luck regarding these traffic matters and, also wish you the best of health. I am sorry my response does not rise to a level that you consider meaningful and therefore urge you to look for and retain competent counsel equipped to handle the type of matters yours is. Again, best of luck.
Q. hello how far can city police officer follow you till the officer is profiling in a vehicle
A: I believe that the city police officer can follow you within the jurisdiction he works and also call others if and when you are about or he suspects you will elude him or her into another jurisdiction. An officer can follow you for as long as s/he believes a crime is being committed has been committed and or is about to be committed. The facts you furnished are not enough for me to sufficiently answer the question you asked. Please remember that it is all about your ability or rather, the driver ahead of you being able to break in time to avoid an accident between that driver and other traffic ahead of him or her as well as being rear-ended by you. The general rule is that you must allow no less than 2 seconds between vehicles during the day and 3 seconds during night time and, in the event of rain, snow, ice and slit, 4 seconds. Intersections, stop signs and yield signs on your route of travel also dictate that you exercise extra care and caution. It is the officer's discretion keeping all circumstances and conditions in mind, to determine whether to stop you or not. Also, bear in mind the other factors I mentioned in the introductory paragraph above. I hope this is sufficient for your purposes. I also recommend you consult with a practitioner that handles traffic-related offenses.
Q. i was on probation and taken to a police department, and was asked to take a voice detection test(like a polygraph)
A: First, I do not know what the basis of your arrest was. I assume you were arrested or stopped, arrested and taken to the police station where you subsequently were ordered to take the test you indicated you took. I also do not know what it is you were convicted of. Secondly, I do not know why you were stopped and whether or not the officer had probable cause to believe that a crime had taken place or a crime was taking place or a crime was about to take place or any combination thereof. That being the case, I am not sure and cannot begin to say that the stop and subsequent search and or subjecting you to a voice test were legal and justified. Third, you said you were later on convicted of the same crime but didn't say what you were convicted of. Having said that, I don't know whether or not you were told what your rights were/are or read them to you usually referred to as Miranda Rights which is usually expressed as being Mirandized by the police officer immediately before securing the details and circumstances that later became the basis of the prosecution. Also, you said you asked them whether or not you needed a lawyer and were told "No". The Police are not in the business of assisting you secure counsel. They have no interest in ensuring you are represented especially because what they want to do is hampered by the presence of a lawyer. Although your Constitutional Right to have counsel present, not every police officer observes such. If you never waived your right to counsel and demanded counsel what happened after would have been illegal. However, if you were provided with an opportunity to call your lawyer and failed to do so, they may take the position that you waived your right to counsel. The conviction and related activity ought to have taken place while represented. I do not know if you were represented and frankly, cannot begin to say whether or not what happened was legal. If the point of your question was to assess whether or not you have a basis for filing an appeal, you must consult with counsel who handles criminal appeals immediately because you only have so many days within which to file appeal related paperwork. I hope this helps put in context what you articulated even though my comments here do not have the requisite factual basis. I wish you well and hope that you will be able to successfully accomplish your objectives.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
10701 West North Avenue
10701 West North Avenue
Suite 203
Wauwatosa, WI 53226
Telephone: (414) 933-4144
Fax: (414) 933-2979