Free Consultation: (207) 228-1870Tap to Call This Lawyer
Elliott R. Teel Esq

Elliott R. Teel Esq

Teel Law Office, LLC
  • Real Estate Law, Business Law, Estate Planning...
  • Maine
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

I provide legal services for individuals and small businesses throughout southern Maine. I offer legal analysis and litigation services on real property issues. I represent buyers and sellers in real estate transactions. For business owners I can assist with formation, contract and general consulting matters. For many matters I offer services at flat-rate pricing.

Practice Areas
  • Real Estate Law
  • Business Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Intellectual Property
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    I offer several services at a flat rate - please see my website for more information.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
Professional Experience
Portland Independent Business and Community Alliance
UDC David A. Clarke School of Law
J.D. (2006)
UDC David A. Clarke School of Law Logo
St. Lawrence University
B.A. (1995) | Environmental Studies and Sociology
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
Maine State Bar # 004222
Placeholder image for professional associations.
District of Columbia Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Legal Answers
8 Questions Answered

Q. Rent to own contract question
A: I agree with Fred, but further, if the agreement was prepared in accordance with Maine's land installment contracts law, they can't simply evict you. I would suggest having an attorney review the agreement to clarify your rights.
Q. What are the rules about people walking on a beach that's owned by a private landowner?
A: If there are no easement rights to walk on the beach or any other basis for permission, then it is essentially trespassing. You need to be sure that the beach is part of the land that is owned, and that should be provided for in the property deed. No Trespassing signs can be posted, and even fencing to block access.
Q. I am in a lease/option contract. The owner and I have found a buyer and is under a contract. Doesn't that void mine?
A: More information is needed to really answer this question. The contract would need to be reviewed to determine if it was valid to begin with, or if there has been a breach. Depending on the problem with the title, it may not be worth exercising your option right now.
Q. Are some properties zoned for both commercial and residential use or do you usually need to apply for one or the other?
A: Zoning is based on the location. Some zones will allow for both commercial and residential, but the types of commercial uses may be limited. You need to check with the town's land use code and zoning map to determine the relevant zone and what uses are permitted.
Q. Maine-I filed small claims action 4 breach of contract re: dog breeding, I won, Defendant did not pay judgement $6000 by
A: Sounds like you have done a good job so far. I would say do a disclosure hearing and request all their financials - bank statements, tax returns, debts, and business P&L statements. Then the court can set a payment plan or a deadline for full payment, again enforceable by a contempt action.
Q. What do we do when we have a breach of contract and the contractor is refusing to refund us our money?
A: The answer may depend on if the contract says anything about how disputes are handled (there may be a mediation or arbitration clause). If it does not say anything, then depending on the amount that is in dispute, you can to either go to small claims court or to the district court to pursue them. The facts of the dispute will be to be considered before deciding the best way to proceed.
Q. Does moving out of state have any effect on my rights as a bank account holder (like do banking laws drastically differ
A: Most consumer banking laws are federal. There will be variations from state to state, but not significant for most people, with some differences if it is a commercial account or loan. A major exception is foreclosure procedure, which is more a property law than financial, and will vary considerably be state.
Q. If you convert an industrial space to a residential one, which environmental laws do you have to comply with?
A: Generally the environmental laws that apply to the property won't change, but if your use changes then there would likely be ones that are no longer applicable, while there may be others you would need to comply with. The laws will apply based on your actual use. The town's zoning laws will also still apply, and you will need to make sure that the type of residential use you are doing is permitted in that zone.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
142 High St
Suite 511
Portland, ME 04101
Telephone: (207) 228-1870