Free Consultation: (703) 395-8351Tap to Call This Lawyer
Elizabeth Crego

Elizabeth Crego

The Law Office of Elizabeth M. Crego
  • Landlord Tenant, Collections
  • Virginia
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Located in the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria, The Law Office of Elizabeth M. Crego is a small practice geared towards giving personal, affordable legal counsel in both English and Spanish to people in Northern Virginia. Ms. Crego advises on landlord/ tenant, creditor/ debtor, and homeowners association (HOA)/ condominium law matters.

Prior to opening her solo law practice, Ms. Crego volunteered as a pro bono attorney with the Legal Aid Justice Center and Legal Services of Northern Virginia (and she continues to assist in pro bono matters for these organizations), assisting with bankruptcy, housing, and family law matters. From 2011 to 2014, Ms. Crego lived in Mexico City and assisted a Mexican law firm with the editing and translating English language legal documents and advising on US legal concepts. She worked with a boutique homeowners association law firm from 2007 through 2010, representing clients in debt collection, general litigation, and in filing bankruptcy claims. While studying law at George Mason University School of Law in Arlington, VA, she worked at the Commonwealth Attorney’s Office in Alexandria, assisting the attorneys with the arraignment and traffic dockets, researching criminal records, and in preparing briefs for appeals. Outside of the legal profession, she also has experience working as a government contractor in Washington DC.

Ms. Crego is a native of Northern Virginia and enjoys living in Alexandria with her husband and three young children.

Practice Areas
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Collections
  • Free Consultation
    I provide a free 20-minute phone consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
The Law Office of Elizabeth M. Crego
- Current
English Language Legal Consultant
Sanchez Devanny
Associate Attorney
Segan Mason & Mason
Chief Law Clerk
Alexandria City Commonwealth's Attorney
George Mason University School of Law
J.D. (2007)
Placeholder image for education.
Brigham Young University
B.A. (2001) | English
Honors: Cum Laude
Brigham Young University Logo
Professional Associations
Virginia State Bar  # 74797
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Del Ray Business Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Alexandria Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
J. Reuban Clark Law Society
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Fairfax Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
The Law Office of Elizabeth M. Crego
Legal Answers
11 Questions Answered

Q. Can the developer institute an HOA fee without having an HOA? He owns 2/3's of the development.
A: A planned unit development is usually regulated by a Master Deed or Declaration, which would show whether there is an HOA attached to the development, whether assessments can be charged, and how the amount of assessments is determined. You would need to look at that information, which is recorded in the county land records, to get the answer to your questions, and it may be useful to engage an attorney in your area to help you understand it.
Q. Am I obligated to sign this lease when a verbal agreement to sign happened prior to being given a copy of the lease?
A: It seems to me that there are a few different ways this could be interpreted.You could be regarded as merely a permitted occupant for the last seven months under the lease with your roommate, which creates no independent obligation on your part. It also provides no protections for you and you would need to move out with your roommate. The landlord could require payment of damages from your roommate but not anything from you if you move out by the end of the month. If you were paying rent directly to the landlord, though, you may be considered to be in a separate, unwritten lease agreement with the landlord. Virginia law generally provides that all leases should be written, but if a lease is not written and the parties act as if they are in a lease (i.e., the landlord allows the tenant to live there and the tenant pays rent), there will be a default year-long lease with basic terms as provided under Virginia law. Since you have not signed the new lease agreement, it seems to me that you are not obligated to the terms you do not agree to; however, you may be obligated to stay for the rest of the year under default unwritten lease terms. You might want to talk with an attorney to discuss your options if you cannot come to an amenable agreement with the landlord.
Q. What is the penalty (if any) for HOA board violating the VA Property Owners Association Act?
A: That depends on what they did. Violating the POA Act is unlikely to result in criminal liability on its own. You would want to read the Act in conjunction with the HOA's governing documents to determine what the board did and how to proceed. I recommend getting an attorney to help you understand the board's responsibilities, as the governing documents can be complicated.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
The Law Office of Elizabeth M. Crego
2210 Mount Vernon Ave. #110
Alexandria, VA 22301
Telephone: (703) 395-8351