Free Consultation: (617) 367-8787Tap to Call This Lawyer
Christopher Tolley

Christopher Tolley

Board of Governors, Mill Corner COndominium Association
  • Consumer Law, Construction Law, Real Estate Law...
  • Massachusetts
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Meeting Your Business And Personal Legal Needs
Your needs are our needs. Your goals are our goals. We strive to provide our clients the best representation we can, employing rigorous legal analysis and considerable experience to develop client relationships where we consistently deliver success. From common to complex legal issues we seek solutions that are creative, inventive, even counter-intuitive – but always practical.

Our areas of practice include:

Debt Collection Regulation - Federal and Massachusetts
Construction Supplier Litigation
Real estate transactions – buying, selling, mortgages title issues, title insurance
Commercial and Consumer Collections
Commercial And Consumer Mortgage Foreclosures
Personal injury
Chapter 7 and 13 for Individuals and Small Businesses
Bankruptcy and creditors’ rights litigation

Focus and Determination
We are diligent and proactive, thorough and meticulous. We expends the time and resources necessary to fully address our clients’ needs. As a small office, we give our clients’ matters personal attention.

Collaboration and Litigation
We have the experience and judgment to employ negotiation, collaboration and strategic concession as needed, as well as the flexibility to abandon either friendly or hostile approaches to meet evolving needs.

Keeping You Informed
You are our partner and employer. Your understanding of what we are doing and why is critical to our success. We keep you informed so you can advise us on whether we are performing according to your goals, needs and wants. We are always here to answer questions.

Part of a Team
The Phillips & Angley culture of mutual support and collaboration means I and my clients can call on the additional wealth of experience and acumen of my colleagues.

Please call me at 617-367-8787 or email at to learn more.

Phillips & Angley
1 Washington St. Suite 7A
Boston, MA 02108


Practice Areas
  • Consumer Law
  • Construction Law
  • Real Estate Law
  • Collections
  • Bankruptcy
  • Personal Injury
  • Free Consultation
    Initial consultation and discussion of your legal matter is free.
  • Contingent Fees
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    I work almost exclusively on an hourly basis. For certain matters I accept flat fees. I accept contingent fees only after consultation and investigation.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
1st Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Board of Governors, Mill Corner COndominium Association
Town of Acton Planning Board, Former Chairman, Former Member
Suffolk University Law School
J.D. (1986)
Suffolk University Law School Logo
Bowdoin College
B.A. (1981)
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
American Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Real Estate Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Massachusetts State Bar # 548180
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Legal Answers
43 Questions Answered

Q. Plaintiff has filed a voluntary dismissal without prejudice. Can I file an objection?
A: If your objection is that the dismissal is without prejudice I do not think a judge will allow it. A dismissal with prejudice is an adjudication on the merits. Judges are reluctant to dismiss with prejudice when there has been no engagement on the issues of the case. (I assume the case has not already been tried) On the other hand, the plaintiff may agree to a dismissal with prejudice. If you have the time and inclination, feel free to try.
Q. does a homestead act on a home in mass prevent a contractor collecting money if homeowner refuses to pay final bill
A: The Homestead Act itself does not. It may impact your ability to lien the house, however.
Q. On deceased mother's deed, not mortgage. Renters in place in one of two houses on property. Am I now a landlord?
A: First, check the wording of the deed to determine the type of ownership you held with your deceased mother. For example, the deed might say, "X and Y, as joint tenants" or "X and Y, tenants in common," etc. The type of tenancy determines to whom ownership of the property passes in the event of one owner's death. If joint tenants, the property automatically passes to you upon your mother's death without need of probate. If tenants in common, your mother's one half share of the property passes through her estate to whoever she left the property in her will or if no will, by the laws of intestacy. If no tenancy is designated, you are considered to have owned the property as tenants in common. Your mother also may have owned a life estate in the property with you as remainder interest, in which case the property passes to you upon your mother's death without need of probate. If you owned the property as a joint tenant or remainder after her life estate, you own the property and you are the landlord. If you owned the property as tenants in common, review your mother's will to see to whom she left the property. If she had no will, her one half interest passed by the laws of intestacy so you may have a one half interest in the property with her other heirs holding the other half. You and your mother's other heirs would collectively be the landlords.
Q. 24 hour notice
A: I suggest you call the Section 8 people and see if there is something in the lease or their contract with the landlord that addresses this.
Q. How do I RENEW a Massachusetts civil capias warrant issued in a home contractor award case that will expire in 2 months.
A: You have to file a written motion for a new capias, mark it for hearing, give notice to the debtor, and surrender the old capias.
Q. I bought a house a month ago,3 days after living in the house i learn that the house didnt have sewer pipe whos paying
A: If the seller actively concealed the sewer pipe issue or failed to inform you of it when asked, you may have a right to recover from him. You should consult your own attorney and give him/her copies of all relevant documents to review.
Q. My father had 2 properties and his will designated that my sister was to receive property A and I received property B.
A: Normally courts give effect to written instruments according to their terms. The will said your sister receives Property A with its contents. Nothing you have said leads to the conclusion that your father had any other intention. Perhaps your father intended for your sister to receive the vehicles. I suggest you retain your own attorney and give him/ her copies of all relevant documents for a determination as to your rights.
Q. in MA an offer was placed on my property on 8/9/19 we are now well passed the 45 days agreed upon for closing.
A: I strongly suggest you contact a lawyer to represent your interests as soon as possible. The agent/broker is supposed to be working for you, the seller, and no one else. Most P&S agreements state the buyer is prohibited from entering the premises and/or doing work n the premises with the Seller's knowledge and agreement. You need someone looking out for your interests.
Q. purchased 4 shoes for $1650 and shipped to a friend for $2235, all 4 are fake, I got refunded for 1, what should I do?
A: Keep after the seller online and by text, but if he/she does not respond, file a small claims complaint and seek multiple damages under G.L. c. 93A, the Massachusetts unfair and deceptive acts statute. The clerk may be willing to help you fill out the small claims form. If/when you get a judgment, send it off to a California collection attorney to collect.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
1 Washington Mall Suite 7A
Boston, MA 02108
Telephone: (617) 367-8787