Free Consultation: (206) 397-4780Tap to Call This Lawyer
Christopher M. Larson

Christopher M. Larson

Insight Law - Tax Attorney
  • Tax Law, Business Law, Elder Law...
  • Washington
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Insight Law is a local tax law firm with 4 offices in the greater Seattle area. We handle all tax matters, including those related to Income, Employment, Property, B&O, and Estate and Gift taxes. We pride ourselves on providing the best service, value, and knowing our areas of law inside and out. Whether you have a tax problem or need estate planning or small business services, we can provide efficient, knowledgeable and compassionate representation.

QUALITY: At Insight Law, we provide top-notch representation from experienced attorneys in the Seattle Area.

VALUE: At Insight Law, we use a value-added approach to maximize your results for the lowest possible cost by eliminating useless steps that only increase your costs.

KNOWLEDGE: At Insight Law, we handle only tax, estate planning, and business planning matters, and as a result, our attorneys focus their attention on learning every aspect of these complex areas of law.


TAX. Have you recently been contacted by the IRS or the State of Washington? You need an experienced local tax attorney, and not a national chain of enrolled agents and CPAs that charge a lot and provide little in return. At Insight Law, we help our individual and business clients efficiently resolve tax disputes and minimize tax liability.

Our attorneys are experienced in every facet of tax. If you are facing an audit, Notice of Deficiency, litigation, lien, levy, or garnishment, and you need a dedicated tax attorney to represent you before the IRS, or you need representation in a tax matter against the State of Washington, let Insight Law be that representative.

If you already have an outstanding Washington State or IRS Tax Debt, and are already subject to a lien, levy, or wage garnishment, we can help immediately. Our attorneys will use a comprehensive, strategic approach to minimize your liability and achieve the best possible outcome. Insight Law can help provide immediate relief by stopping liens, levies, and garnishments, and working with you to reach a more permanent solution to your tax liability.

Contact Insight Law to arrange a free consultation, and if we don't think we can provide a viable solution to your tax problem, you will owe us nothing.

ESTATE PLANNING AND BUSINESS PLANNING. Do you need new estate planning documents, wills or trust review, small business planning, or advice on probate and executor responsibilities? You need an experienced local attorney, not a service that provides boilerplate wills, trusts and business plans. We provide customized estate and business planning services based on your situation, goals and concerns.

At Insight Law, we deliver top notch business tax and estate planning services by attorneys with experience in financial planning and business. Contact Insight Law for a consultation about your estate or business planning options.

LOCATIONS. With offices in Bellevue, Burien, Everett, and our main office in downtown Seattle, you will find us to be conveniently located.

Practice Areas
  • Tax Law
  • Business Law
  • Elder Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Probate
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Washington State Bar Association
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. District Court Western District of Washington
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. Tax Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
Professional Experience
Insight Law
- Current
Volunteer Attorney
University of Washington Federal Tax Clinic
Senior Accountant
Johnson Industries International, Inc.
University of Washington School of Law
University of Washington School of Law Logo
University of Washington School of Business
B.A. | Accounting, Finance, Informations Systems
Placeholder image for education.
Preeminent Rating, 5.0 out of 5
Professional Associations
Washington State Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
King County Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Pierce County Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Snohomish County Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Legal Answers
8 Questions Answered

Q. An IRS official gave me disinformation regarding available administrative procedures. What federal law did he break?
A: Happens all the time. When you are dealing with the IRS, what they are supposed to do and what they do are two different things. This is why I always advise against representing yourself. Even if you can figure out the law, the procedure is where they trip you up. I have seen the Chief Counsel lawyer deliver the paperwork the day of trial for a pro se taxpayer. They will take advantage of inexperience. At this point, you want to contact an attorney. It will likely cost you more if you don't, if it hasn't already. If not, your best bet is to contact taxpayer advocate services in your area. Christopher Larson Insight Law
Q. Do the state of Texas have both state & federal taxes or just federal
A: Texas has no individual income tax. However, every state has taxes in some form. I live in Washington and we also have no state income tax, but we do pay roughly 9% in sales tax.
Q. Are moneys awarded from a malpractice law suit taxable?
A: The actual damages that are compensation for physical injury or sickness are not taxable. Any amount received as punitive damages are taxable. Section 104 of the Internal Revenue Code is the basis for determining which damages are excludable from income. Christopher Larson Insight Law
Q. I disagree with an IRS opinion on my 2004 taxes which the IRS has been passing around for years. I paid it but want to
A: Hard to say. Have you been to Tax Court? If so, you would need to challenge in appelate court. If not, you can always file for a refund by filing an amended return. If they refuse this, you can bring a refund suit in district court. But with all of the procedural issues, I would hire an attorney to deal with that matter. There are time limit issues, etc. which are well beyond the scope of any answer I can give here. Christopher Larson Insight Law
Q. Section 6662 penalty when no tax was underpaid.
A: I am not entirely sure on the facts. But if the amount created no tax liability, it would not be correct to have a corresponding penalty with interest. It all depends on when it was "paid." If they had the money they were owed at the time the return was filed, you should not owe any penalties or interest. However, if they were paid at some time after the filing due date, there can be penalties and interest despite the fact that the liability was paid. Christopher Larson Insight Law
Q. I have legal custody over my son, I pay support, his mother has no income and is on welfare,can I claim him as dependnt
A: The parent that has the child for the majority of the year can claim the child. The custodial parent can sign a form allowing the non-custodial parent to take the dependency deduction. But there is no basis for claiming Head of Household, etc. unless you have the child for the majority of the year. Christopher Larson Insight Law
Q. How much can you Gift Tax to a relative and how many times a year can you do that!
A: You can gift up to $13,000 to each person per year without it counting against your lifetime limit. If you are married, you can make an election on your tax return and increase that amount to $26,000 per person, per year. But unless you have a large estate, this will not mean you are going to pay gift taxes. But either way, only the portion that exceeds this annual limit will count against your lifetime total. The recipient will not be taxed on a gift, no matter the size. Christopher Larson Insight Law
Q. Why do we have to pay taxes if there is no law that states so also in 1898 and 1913 the supreme court agreed?
A: The 16th Amendment is the basis for the right to tax. That is why it is an income based tax. "The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration." As far as states, they have always had the right to tax citizens. The 16th Amendment was ratified in 1913. Christopher Larson Insight Law
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Seattle(Main Location)
800 5th Avenue
Suite 4100
Seattle, WA 98104
Telephone: (206) 397-4780
Fax: (206) 641-9661
Insight Law - Bellevue
10900 NE 4th St
Suite 2300
Bellevue, WA 98004
Telephone: (206) 440-2688
Fax: (206) 641-9661
Insight Law - Everett
6320 Evergreen Way
Suite 214
Everett, WA 98203
Telephone: (206) 922-8078
Fax: (206) 641-9661
Insight Law - Burien
15111 8th Ave SW
Suite 302
Burien, WA 98166
Telephone: (206) 466-5300
Fax: (206) 641-9661