Free Consultation: (816) 505-1111Tap to Call This Lawyer
Christopher Fink

Christopher Fink

Educate, Defend & Empower
  • Divorce, Criminal Law, DUI & DWI...
  • Missouri
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Chris has enjoyed the solo practice of law for more than 21 years. Over that span, Chris has helped thousands of clients with a variety of legal problems, including divorce, child custody, bankruptcy, personal injury settlements, paternity actions, collections matters, and many more. Chris practices in the Kansas City area serving Platte, Clay, Jackson, Buchanan and other surrounding counties. Chris resides in Platte County with his 4 children.

Growing up on corn and soybean row crop farm outside of Oregon, Missouri, Chris learned the value of hard work and small town values. A graduate of South Holt High School's Class of 1988, Chris then went on to attend college at the University of Missouri-Columbia. Upon graduating from MIZZOU in 1992 with a degree in Agricultural Journalism and a Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant in the US Army, Chris completed the Field Artillery Officer Basic Course at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma. Chris served in the Missouri Army National Guard from 1992-2000. His first assignment was as 1-129th FA Delta Battery (Truman's Own) Fire Direction Officer. Later, Chris became a Captain in the Missouri Army National Guard's Judge Advocate General Corps.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Criminal Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Bankruptcy
  • Personal Injury
  • Consumer Law
  • Employment Law
  • Free Consultation
    Free 30 minute consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Fink Law Firm KC
- Current
General practice law firm, Divorce and Child Custody, Criminal Defense, Consumer Protection, DUI, Bankruptcy, Auto Accidents & Injury
Cornerstone Law Firm
University of Missouri - Columbia
J.D. (1996) | Law
University of Missouri - Columbia Logo
University of Missouri - Columbia
B.S. (1992) | Agricultural Journalism
Honors: Omicron Delta Kappa Honor Society
Activities: R.O.T.C., Alpha Gamma Sigma Fraternity, Marching Mizzou, Student Athletic Board
University of Missouri - Columbia Logo
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Kansas City, MO
Super Lawyers
Top 25 Divorce Lawyers in Kansas City
Top 100
National Trial Lawyers
"10 Best"
American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys
Top 100 Lawyers
American Society of Legal Advocates
Top Attorney
Professional Associations
The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers # 45777
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Society of Legal Advocates
Placeholder image for professional associations.
National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Atotrneys (NACBA)
Placeholder image for professional associations.
National Association of Consumer Advocates
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Platte County Bar Association # 45777
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Clay County Bar Association # 45777
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys # 45777
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Missouri Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers # 45777
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
The Missouri Bar # 45777
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Attorney at Law
The Missouri Bar
Websites & Blogs
Fink Law Firm KC
Legal Answers
13 Questions Answered

Q. Confused on how custody judgment granted both sole and joint custody
A: In Missouri there are 2 primary categories of custody...physical and legal. Physical custody deals with each parties "parenting time" with the child; or if Sole Physical Custody is granted, then the term "visitation" is used for the non-custodial parent's time with the child. Legal Custody describes the rights of the parents as to legal decisions, such as educational, medical, extracurricular, etc. The presumed "best interest of the child" custody arrangement is going to be granting the parents Joint Physical and Joint Legal Custody. If a party believes it is in the best interest of the child that they be awarded Sole Physical and/or Sole Legal Custody, then the burden of proof falls on that requesting party to convince the court. And if certain issues exist, then a Judge could award Sole Physical and Sole Legal Custody, or alternatively it could be any combination. For example if the court finds that the parties just do not have the capability to communicate, then perhaps Joint Physical Custody and Sole Legal Custody might be in the child's best interest, or alternatively Joint Physical to both parents, but Sole Legal Custody to one parent.
Q. If I am still married can I switch my direct deposit and money to another account not in my wife's name/joint account?
A: It is your right to deposit your money into your own account. However, the structure of the account does not convert the funds to a non-marital asset. Your income and her income are considered marital property regardless of how the account is set up. Similar to a vehicle purchased during the marriage that is titled in an individual name rather than joint is still considered a marital asset.
Q. I am wondering if it is a crime to shut off my spouses cell phone, sell the car and stop giving her an allowance
A: If it is your wife's cell phone and your wife's vehicle, then the answer would be yes it would be fraudulent as you would not have the authority to interfere with her contract with her cell phone provider or transfer legal title in her vehicle. If there is a court order requiring you to pay these items, then you could be held in contempt of court for violating the court's order. Your best bet, in my opinion, is to find a lawyer in your area and deal with these issues the appropriate way with the courts.
Q. I have joint legal custody of my son. He has autism and ADD and is on meds. His biological mother is refusing to
A: If you have joint legal custody then you would already have the legal authority to schedule an appointment for your son. If you do not have this authority, then you would need to file a motion to modify to request the court review the situation. Perhaps you could simply ask the Mother to go to mediation and resolve it outside of court. Plus mediation would be less expensive and more expeditious.
Q. Can I have my son put in some kind of a terment porgram for durgs? Even that I don't have cousty of him no one dose
A: If you do not have legal custody then you will not be able to put your son in rehabilitation. You could file a motion to modify custody and seek legal custody. Or you could ask the Children's Division to step in and do an investigation. However, there could be consequences once the juvenile court gets involved. I'd recommend hiring a local attorney to assist before you make a hotline call.
Q. Which state should my mother file a suit? Does she have a choice?
A: In all likelihood she will need to enforce the Judgment in the same state as the divorce judgment. If she is dealing with retirement funds, then a qualified domestic relations order (QDRO) or Division of Benefits Order should have been referenced within the divorce decree and drafted shortly thereafter and filed and approved by the Court. I'd recommend reviewing the divorce judgment and get a copy of the docket entries from the court record and see if perhaps this has already been completed.
Q. Girlfriend signed an acknowledgement of her ex as father to her child, she now wants custody. What's the best approach?
A: Assuming he also signed the affidavit acknowledging paternity then there is a "presumption" of paternity with the ex. A "presumption of paternity" is not a declaration of paternity. A judicial determination of the father-child relationship must be established to determine each party's parental rights and obligations. As it stands, Father's rights at this time would be unenforceable. Most law enforcement agencies likely will tell either party that it is a "domestic matter" and won't get involved. It's probably in the child's best interest for her to file a Petition for Declaration of Paternity, Custody and Support in her county to get these issues resolved.
Q. How long will a divorce last, start to finish, before its finalized?
A: If the parties agree on how to divide all of their assets and debts as well as all other issues, such as parenting time and child support then it would be relatively quick. Assuming complete cooperation by both parties a divorce can be finalized within 6-8 weeks. However, if there is even one issue, such as child support, then it could last many months.
Q. What is the most common outcome of a misdemeanor probation revocation hearing for 1st violation
A: It depends on the violation and the Judge. For example, if someone on probation violates for the same offense that put that person on probation, then the Court is likely to look at it more harshly. Some Judges have a zero tolerance policy, but others may allow a defendant to remain on probation. There are generally 3 outcomes with a suspended imposition of sentence probation...1) The Judge can continue you on probation under same terms and conditions or impose additional conditions, such as community service or possibly shock incarceration; 2) The Judge can revoke the SIS probation and sentence the defendant, and then put them on a suspended execution of sentence probation; or 3) The Judge revokes probation, imposes a sentence and makes the Defendant serve the sentence. It's difficult to answer the question without knowing more information.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Fink Law Firm KC
5555 NW Barry Road
Ste. A
Kansas City, MO 64154
Telephone: (816) 505-1111