Free Consultation: (360) 738-8584Tap to Call This Lawyer
Carl Munson JR

Carl Munson JR

Maxwell & Webb, PLLC
  • Workers' Compensation, Personal Injury, Criminal Law...
  • Washington
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I graduated from the University of Washington in 1994 with a Bachelor's Degree in History and Political Science. I then attended law school at Gonzaga University School of Law in Spokane. I graduated with my Juris Doctorate degree in 1997. I was a prosecutor for 8 years before opening my own office and practicing criminal defense for 11 years. I have handled all criminal matters from misdemeanors to murder. I have now taken my experience and help injured workers with their worker's compensation claims, social security and personal injury matters. I also help people vacate or expunge old convictions and arrests, restore rights to possess firearms and handle traffic infractions. I have tried over 100 criminal cases to juries and judges.

Practice Areas
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Personal Injury
  • Criminal Law
  • Traffic Tickets
Additional Practice Areas
  • Felonies
  • Misdemeanors
  • Free Consultation
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
Professional Experience
Maxwell & Webb, PLLC
- Current
Pro Tem Judge
Bellingham Municipal Court
- Current
Law Office of Carl A. Munson
Tribal Advocate
Nooksack Indian Tribal Court
I represented tribal members accused of criminal offenses in Nooksack Tribal Court
Senior Deputy Prosecutor
Whatcom County Prosecuting Attorney
Senior Deputy Prosecutor
Yakima County Prosecuting Attorney
Gonzaga University School of Law
J.D. (1997)
Gonzaga University School of Law Logo
University of Washington School of Law
B.A. (1994) | History & Political Science
University of Washington School of Law Logo
Professional Associations
Washington State Bar # 27297
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Legal Answers
12 Questions Answered

Q. I would like to know if I can have the evidence suppressed or if officers were in violation of 4th amendment.
A: It is an interesting question. But it appears that the officer had a valid arrest warrant. If that is the case, officers have the right to a limited intrusion into the residence to arrest the suspect. And upon a valid arrest, if they find a weapon on the suspect, that would not be a violation of his rights. There would need to be more information regarding who answered the door, if there was any conversation as to consent to enter or not. The person having standing to challenge the entry would be the home owner or resident, not the suspected felon. And as there was no search done of the residence and no illegal contraband found in the residence to charge the owner/tenant, it doesn't appear they would have any successful challenge. Based on the facts of your scenario, it appears the suspected felon is out of luck. He/she definitely needs to work with their lawyer.
Q. Can I place a security camera from my front porch facing a shared (public)driveway to log suspicious activity?
A: As long as you are not audio recording private conversations, it should be fine to video tape public places.
Q. My boyfriend and I were very intoxicated. We got in a fight when he was trying to drive his carHe was arrested on DV
A: Contact the prosecutor and let them know. Contact the defense attorney and let them know.
Q. If an individual is charged and is awaiting trial, doesn't he/ she have the right to police reports to the case?
A: The short answer is yes. If the individual has a lawyer (and they should if they are charged with a crime - it is just good sense), then their lawyer will get the police reports and the client can meet with the attorney and go over the reports together. If the individual is representing themselves (never a good idea), then they can "demand discovery" from the prosecution as a lawyer would. But the individual has to basically go in front of the judge and ask to proceed pro se (represent themselves). The judge will discuss with the person the dangers of representing themselves and will decide if the person can go forward pro se. If they are allowed to proceed pro se, they must follow all of the court rules, procedures, etc in obtaining discovery and providing it to the prosecution.
Q. My boyfriend is charged with burglary 1 assault4 miscellaneous miss shift interfering with the unlawful imprisonment.
A: A burglary is entering or remaining unlawfully with the intent to commit a crime against a person or property therein. So, if someone enters a house unlawfully (for example without permission) with the intent to commit a crime they are guilty of a burglary. If someone enters lawfully, but then remains unlawfully (exceeds the scope of the original invitation or permission) with the intent to commit a crime, they can be guilty of a burglary. If your boyfriend is charged with a fourth degree assault, the police believe he assaulted you. If a person commits a burglary, as discussed above, and assaults someone during the burglary or running from it, that elevates the burglary to a first degree burglary. From your facts, if it is proven the boyfriend remained unlawfully and assaulted you - that is first degree burglary. If it is proven that he remained unlawfully and only broke your phone, that is residential burglary. Unlawful entry or remaining seems to be the issue in your case. His attorney will discuss all of these issues with him.
Q. Domestic violence charge
A: Unfortunately, your question is not clear. If you are saying you were charged 10 years ago with a domestic violence offense but never went to court, then you would have a warrant. If you are saying you had a warrant from 10 years ago, have addressed that warrant, and now have a pending domestic violence charge then you really want to talk to an experienced in criminal defense attorney in your area. There may be many issues in your case such as: is the alleged victim still around and willing/able to testify? Is the charge a misdemeanor or felony? You can contact lawyers in your area and ask for a free consultation. If you ultimately cannot afford to hire a private attorney, then absolutely apply for a public defender.
Q. do I need a lawyer to ask for diversion? Is it possible to get diversion on possession with intent/
A: Your question needs more information in order to give you a better answer. If you are a juvenile and have never been in trouble before, then your first misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor offense would be automatically referred to a diversion unit. Felonies are generally not sent to diversion units. If you are an adult charged with possession with intent to deliver you will want to contact a criminal defense attorney that practices in the superior court in your jurisdiction. In my jurisdiction, there is not a diversion program for these offenses. Our drug court policy does not allow possession with intent charges to enter drug court. Your jurisdiction may have different policies. Good luck!
Q. I lost my wallet that had a check someone wrote me In it. Someone cashed it and bounce and now the person contacted...
A: If you are saying the person who stole your wallet tried to cash your check and the check bounced, now the thief is calling you to make you pay the amount of the check. Call the police. Someone stole your wallet and your check. I don't believe you have committed an offense based on your question, if I am reading it correctly.
Q. My dad is being charged with conspiricy to contribute marijuana. What does that mean and how long could he do ?
A: It sounds like he is being charged with conspiracy to distribute marijuana. Conspiracy to distribute means a plan made with others to sell, give, deliver or in some way transfer marijuana to someone else. It is a serious offense and your father needs to speak with an experienced criminal defense attorney or apply for a public defender if he has not already.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Maxwell & Webb, PLLC
119 N. Commercial, Suite 860
Bellingham, WA 98225
Telephone: (360) 738-8584
Fax: (360) 733-3242