Free Consultation: (646) 775-3455Tap to Call This Lawyer
Benjamin Z. Katz

Benjamin Z. Katz

Life Planning for Your Family the Right Way!
  • Estate Planning, Animal & Dog Law, Real Estate Law ...
  • New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

My goal is to form and maintain long term relationships with my clients. I am blessed to be a happy husband, a proud father and a joyful pet owner. I have always felt that a life well lived is one filled with connections to others.

Our lives are plagued with uncertainty. If you are single, married or in a relationship; if you have children, plan to have children or not; or if you have pets or charities that you wish to provide for, you need a plan to address that uncertainty. When you don't have a plan in place, state laws will control what happens to you and your family. I can help you formulate and implement a plan tailored to your needs and choices and then review that plan with you throughout your life to make changes as needed.

Eliminate uncertainty for your family should you become incapacitated or die. Protect and control your assets. But most importantly, leave a legacy of confidence and positivity for all your loved ones.

Presently, areas of practice include Estate Planning, Probate & Administration, Residential Real Estate, Guardianship and Animal Law.

I serve as a Consultant to several mortgage companies, having instructed real estate and mortgage licensees for many years and co-authored and edited several mortgage textbooks including Mortgage Lending Principles and Practices (6th, 7th and 8th edition).

I am a NYS Certified Real Estate Instructor. I am a member of the American Bar Association, the New York State Bar Association and the New York City Bar Association. I serve as a Volunteer Attorney for Free Legal Answers through the ABA as well as serving as a member of the Estate Planning Committee of the Senior Lawyers Division and serve on the New York City Bar Association's Consumer Affair Committee. I am an Attorney Member of the Animal Legal Defense Fund and support several charitable organizations.

Practice Areas
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Animal & Dog Law
    Real Estate Law
    Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
    Elder Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Benjamin Katz, Esq. P.C.
- Current
Law Offices of Benjamin Z. Katz, Esq.
Hofstra University
J.D. (1994) | Law
Hofstra University Logo
State University of New York - Stony Brook
B.A. (1991) | History
State University of New York - Stony Brook Logo
Professional Associations
New York City Bar Association
- Current
Activities: Consumer Affairs Committee Member
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
New York State Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Mortgage Lending Principles and Practices, 8th Ed.
Hondros Learning
Speaking Engagements
Animal Law Issues 2022, 225 Eastview Drive, Central Islip, NY 11722
Touro Law School
Certified Real Estate Instructor
New York State Department of State
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
239 Questions Answered
Q. I’m looking for a legal method that would give me the proper authority to manage my parent's care? Is a healthcare proxy
A: A Health Care Proxy would allow you to make health care decisions if your parents were unable to do so themselves. However, managing their care, paying expenses, and completing paperwork would require a Power of Attorney to be signed by your parents naming you as their agent. In both cases, your parents must have the ability to understand what they are signing and must express their desire to give you these powers. If they are unable to do so at this point, you will need to apply for Guardianship.
Q. Our son is 28. He moved out. He is the legal owner of our family dog. But now will not allow us to even see the dog.
A: If you are acknowledging your son is the legal owner and you do not wish to have permanent and sole possession of the dog, it would be difficult to convince a court to give you visitation rights. However, your burden would be to prove why it is in the dog's best interest for you to have visitation despite your son's refusal. It would be an expensive and possibly unsuccessful effort.
Q. Do I have any rights to my childhood photos that my stepmom has?
A: If the photos were not specifically left to you by your father in a Will or Trust, the surviving spouse will have primary rights to household effects like family photos.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Benjamin Katz, Esq. P.C.
52 Duane Street
7th Floor
New York, NY 10007
Telephone: (646) 775-3455
Fax: (646) 368-8323
Monday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Saturday: 9 AM - 6 PM (Today)
Sunday: Closed