Free Consultation: (212) 634-9222Tap to Call This Lawyer
Andrew M. Stengel

Andrew M. Stengel

The Best Criminal Defense Is an Excellent Criminal Defense Attorney
  • Criminal Law, DUI & DWI, Domestic Violence
  • New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

As an Assistant District Attorney in New York City I worked on thousands of criminal cases learning the ins and outs of the New York criminal justice system. As a criminal defense attorney I learned that justice isn’t always served, particularly if the accused doesn’t know his or her rights, doesn’t understand the process and doesn’t have the right advocate. I left the New York County District Attorney’s office and formed The Law Firm of Andrew M. Stengel to help ensure that those accused of crimes in New York City, Nassau, Westchester and the surrounding counties have access to experienced, knowledgeable and aggressive representation. As a private criminal defense attorney, I take pride in holding the prosecution to its burden of proof and ensuring that right of my clients are protected, no matter the degree of seriousness of the charge crimes. The criminal justice system is complex and can be intimidating and confusing. Those who are unaware of the process are at serious disadvantage. A private defense attorney will take the the time explain every step of the way and be available to answer questions and concerns.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Domestic Violence
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Assistant District Attorney
District Attorney of New York
Brandeis University
Brandeis University Logo
Albany Law School
Editor-in-Chief, Albany Government Law Review
Albany Law School Logo
Professional Associations
New York City Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
New York City Bar Association Legal Referral Service
Panel Member
Placeholder image for professional associations.
State Bar of New York # 5096144
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Legal Answers
93 Questions Answered

Q. My boyfriend got caught manufacturing meth and got an A2 felony. We hired my boss and my boss later had it out for me,
A: It is difficult to withdraw a plea unless there is a valid reason. Speak directly to a defense attorney about the issue.
Q. What should i do?
A: Possibly. You didn't write what the charge is. In any event, you should speak to a criminal defense lawyer.
Q. I have had a DWAI misdemeanor conviction, a DWI conviction, and am facing a second DWI conviction within 25 years.
A: DWAI is a traffic infraction and not a misdemeanor. More facts are needed to answer your question, like the time between the criminal DWI conviction and the new DWI-related charges.
Q. What is endangering the welfare of a child usually plead down to?
A: There is no standard plea bargain with endangering or any other crime. Every case is different.
Q. So I was charged with a 319 and a 511 01 A
A: VTL 511 is a misdemeanor, so, yes, it is a crime. Were you not advised by an attorney? In any event, a court reporter should have the transcript.
Q. If a girl is 14 and the guy is 20 and having a baby the mom knew about it all what can happen to him
A: You potentially described Rape in the Second Degree (sex with a minor who is younger than 15 and a person who is at least 18 and at least 4 years older), which is a serious felony with a mandatory minimum prison sentence.
Q. Are DUIs from drugs like marijuana treated differently than alcohol-related offenses?
A: The short answer is sort of. The punishment is similar but the evidence for alcohol and drugs is quite different. Generally speaking, it is easier to prove DWI, especially with a chemical test result, than DWAI by Drugs.
Q. If some one made an complaint saying they was robbed how strong is that case ?
A: The strength of the case depends on many factors like the number of witnesses, if there was an identification and if property was recovered.
Q. My kids father gave me a black eye about three weeks ago I took pictures can I still file a dv report?
A: Yes, you should go to the nearest police station to file a Domestic Incident Report.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
The Law Firm of Andrew M. Stengel
11 Broadway
Suite 615
New York, NY 10004
Telephone: (212) 634-9222