As an Assistant District Attorney in New York City I worked on thousands of criminal cases learning the ins and outs of the New York criminal justice system. As a criminal defense attorney I learned that justice isn’t always served, particularly if the accused doesn’t know his or her rights, doesn’t understand the process and doesn’t have the right advocate. I left the New York County District Attorney’s office and formed The Law Firm of Andrew M. Stengel to help ensure that those accused of crimes in New York City, Nassau, Westchester and the surrounding counties have access to experienced, knowledgeable and aggressive representation. As a private criminal defense attorney, I take pride in holding the prosecution to its burden of proof and ensuring that right of my clients are protected, no matter the degree of seriousness of the charge crimes. The criminal justice system is complex and can be intimidating and confusing. Those who are unaware of the process are at serious disadvantage. A private defense attorney will take the the time explain every step of the way and be available to answer questions and concerns.
- Criminal Law
- DUI & DWI
- Domestic Violence
- Free Consultation
- Credit Cards Accepted
- New York
- Assistant District Attorney
- District Attorney of New York
- Brandeis University
- Albany Law School
- Editor-in-Chief, Albany Government Law Review
- New York City Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association Legal Referral Service
- Panel Member
- State Bar of New York # 5096144
- The Law Firm of Andrew M. Stengel, P.C.
- Legal News From The Law Firm of Andrew M. Stengel, P.C.
- “We have a list of officers . . .”: The Fight For NYC District Attorneys’ Police Adverse Credibility Lists
17 October 2019
- Marijuana Decriminalized (Partially, Somewhat, Only a Little) in New York
7 August 2019
- Gravity Knife Possession Is No Longer a Crime in New York!
10 June 2019
- New York Criminal Justice Reform: The DAT / Desk Appearance Ticket
19 May 2019
- Brady, Giglio and the Manhattan DA’s Secret List of Police Officers with Adverse Credibly
29 April 2019
- New York’s New Law to Seal Criminal Records
31 May 2017
- The 10 Secret DWI Sobriety Tests: Post-Stop Clues of Intoxication
29 March 2017
- Yes, There’s Such a Thing as A Rad, Bitchin’ Illegal Selfie
26 March 2017
- DWI Field Sobriety Tests in New York: Standardized Tests
29 January 2017
DWI Defense Attorney New York City - DWI Lawyer New York City - Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) Laws in New YorkCPSP Lawyer NYC - Criminal Possession of Stolen Property Attorney NY
Criminal Possession of Stolen Property Lawyer New York City - Criminal Possession of Stolen Property Attorney New YorkWeapons Possession Lawyer NYC - Weapons Possession Charges New York
Weapons Possession Lawyer New York City - Weapons Possession Charges New YorkPetit Larceny & Grand Larceny Laws in NY - Larceny Defense Attorney NYC
Petit Larceny & Grand Larceny Laws in New York - Larceny Defense Attorney New York CityAssault Defense Attorney NYC - Assault Lawyer New York - Assault Laws in NYC
Assault Defense Attorney New York City - Assault Lawyer New York - Assault Laws in New York City
- Q. My boyfriend got caught manufacturing meth and got an A2 felony. We hired my boss and my boss later had it out for me,
- A: It is difficult to withdraw a plea unless there is a valid reason. Speak directly to a defense attorney about the issue.
- Q. What should i do?
- A: Possibly. You didn't write what the charge is. In any event, you should speak to a criminal defense lawyer.
- Q. I have had a DWAI misdemeanor conviction, a DWI conviction, and am facing a second DWI conviction within 25 years.
- A: DWAI is a traffic infraction and not a misdemeanor. More facts are needed to answer your question, like the time between the criminal DWI conviction and the new DWI-related charges.
- Q. What is endangering the welfare of a child usually plead down to?
- A: There is no standard plea bargain with endangering or any other crime. Every case is different.
- Q. So I was charged with a 319 and a 511 01 A
- A: VTL 511 is a misdemeanor, so, yes, it is a crime. Were you not advised by an attorney? In any event, a court reporter should have the transcript.
- Q. If a girl is 14 and the guy is 20 and having a baby the mom knew about it all what can happen to him
- A: You potentially described Rape in the Second Degree (sex with a minor who is younger than 15 and a person who is at least 18 and at least 4 years older), which is a serious felony with a mandatory minimum prison sentence.
- Q. Are DUIs from drugs like marijuana treated differently than alcohol-related offenses?
- A: The short answer is sort of. The punishment is similar but the evidence for alcohol and drugs is quite different. Generally speaking, it is easier to prove DWI, especially with a chemical test result, than DWAI by Drugs.
- Q. If some one made an complaint saying they was robbed how strong is that case ?
- A: The strength of the case depends on many factors like the number of witnesses, if there was an identification and if property was recovered.
- Q. My kids father gave me a black eye about three weeks ago I took pictures can I still file a dv report?
- A: Yes, you should go to the nearest police station to file a Domestic Incident Report.