Free Consultation: (239) 770-7910Tap to Call This Lawyer
Ana S. Mendieta

Ana S. Mendieta

The Mendieta Law Firm, PLLC
  • Immigration Law
  • Florida
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Ana S. Mendieta graduated with a Licensure in Law from the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Honduras. Soon after graduation she initiated her legal career when she began to work for the Honduran Department of Justice, serving as a Special Agent under the supervision of the Attorney General. There, she led investigations, which resulted in the prosecution of a number of individuals involved in various types of criminal activity, ranging from violent crimes to white-collar crime. After a successful tenure with the Office of the Attorney General, Ms. Mendieta moved on to the Supreme Court of Justice of Honduras where she served as a clerk to the Chief Justice and as the Executive Director of the Judicial Gazette of the Supreme Court. Through these positions, Ms. Mendieta edited, compiled, and published the first yearly judicial and administrative report of the Supreme Court. Ms. Mendieta also edited and published the Judicial Gazette, which comprised briefs and decisions dealing with new Rules of Law as well as other topics of national interest, from those relating to judicial reforms taking place in Honduras to those dealing with women's and children's rights and the newly established Code of criminal procedures.
In the United States, Ms. Mendieta served as a volunteer for the Florida Guardian Ad Litem Program for the Twentieth Judicial Circuit in Collier County, Florida. As an officer of the court, she was appointed to represent the best interest of the child in dependency hearings. Being a multilingual advocate, many of the children represented were the progeny of immigration center detainees. Realizing that the amount of aid she was able to provide to the children and their families was limited – due to her status as a volunteer – Ms. Mendieta decided to pursue a law degree in the United States, which she obtained from the Ave Maria School of Law, in Naples, Florida and her License as an Attorney and Counselor at Law from the Florida Supreme Court of Justice.

Practice Area
  • Immigration Law
  • Free Consultation
    30 minutes of free legal consultation may change your life.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Immigration Attorney
The Mendieta Law Firm, PLLC
- Current
Certified Legal Internship
Legal Aid of Collier County
Immigration and Nationality Law
Directora de la Gazeta Judicial de la Corte Suprema de Justicia
Poder Judicial de Honduras
Editor in Chief of the quarterly Judicial Publication
Agente Especial
Procuraduria General de la Republica de Honduras
Pretrial research and investigation
Ave Maria School of Law
J.D. (2016) | Law
Ave Maria School of Law Logo
Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Honduras
J.D. (1993) | Law
Placeholder image for education.
St. Francis Cabrini Award
Ave Maria School of Law
Professional Associations
The Florida Bar # 0127587
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Collier County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
8 Questions Answered

Q. My girlfriend lives in Italy. I was born and raised in the United States. I own a business. How can my girlfriend stay?
A: This question if difficult to answer as you do not give us much insight in your goals. For the sake of trying to help you, I will make some assumptions: 1: Can my girlfriend stay in the United States for only 6 months of the year. I am assuming you have some knowledge of US immigration laws. I will also assume she would like to earn money while in the U.S? If so, she will need to have work authorization. There are several ways to obtain work authorization in the U.S. Among several are: you have an investment business, you may be able to hire her for qualities she might possess and not available in the U.S. The fact that she speaks English and Italian may help, her specialized education and or training to the type of investment you have, and others. If not, she is able to live here for less than 6 months and enjoy herself as a tourist. Florida is a beautiful State, and Naples, FL is a beautiful city. I strongly suggest you speak with an immigration attorney to help you navigate all the possibilities. I bid you good luck. Sincerely, Ana S. Mendieta, Esq.
Q. 3 years wait time for naturalization, can some time counts towards that 3 years?
A: You may qualify for Naturalization if you have been a permanent resident for 3 years or more and meet all eligibility requirements to file as a spouse of a U.S. citizen (i.e. have been living in marital union with the same U.S. citizen spouse during such time), and you must also meet all other eligibility requirements under Section 319(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Of course, there are exceptions, among others is, if you are the spouse of a U.S. citizen employed abroad you MAY qualify for naturalization regardless of your time as permanent resident under Section 319(b) of the INA. I state these exceptions to reiterate the importance of hiring an Immigration attorney to help you navigate the immigration process. Sincerely, Ana S. Mendieta, ESQ.
Q. My mother (green card holder) married an US citizen. I got my green card from him. How long I become a US citizen?
A: You may qualify for Naturalization if you have been a permanent resident for at least 5 years and meet all other eligibility requirements. You might be confused by the fact your mother may qualify for Naturalization if she has been a permanent resident only for 3 years or more and meet all eligibility requirements to file as a spouse of a U.S. citizen. I strongly suggest you consult with an immigration attorney when at the time you are eligible to Naturalize. Immigrating is a complex process even if it might seem simple at first sight. I wish you the best, Ana S. Mendieta, Esq.
Q. Hello Do I need legal help to bring my father from Colombia? He was deported early 90’s.
A: Yes, you need legal help to bring your father from Colombia. The attorney you hire will analyze the crime your father committed and put him in prison as if it carries a permanent bar on reentry to the United States.
Q. Can I bring an interpreter to asylum interviews or is that not allowed?
A: You MUST bring your own interpreter to your asylum interview. One will NOT be provided to you. Your attorney cannot be your interpreter, nor can your witness nor a representative or employee of the government of your country. Your interpreter must be 18 years or older. Even if USCIS will not provide interpreters for the interview, they use contract interpreters to monitor asylum interviews at local asylum offices and other locations by telephone, and this might of confused you. If you do not speak English you will be interviewed through the interpreter who you bring with you to the interview. Hope the best during your interview.
Q. Can I get benefits for my daughter if Im still waiting Green Card and her father had US citizenship and he passed away.
A: Your daughter is a U.S. citizen and may be able to apply for benefits (you can apply for her) at The Administration for Children and Families agency in the state you live in. The Administration for Children and Families funds states, to provide family assistance (welfare), child support, child care, Head Start, child welfare, and other programs relating to children and families. Please go to their website for more information Hope all is well with you and your daughter.
Q. Is it possible that lawyer reapply for my work permit instead of me and to receive all documents fromUSCIS on his adress
A: If you applied for Employment Authorization through your Attorney you might of signed a Form G-28, Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Accredited Representative. Part 4 of the G-28 states that you consent to being represented by the attorney. When you are represented, DHS will send notices to both you and your attorney. Originals or secure ID documents will be sent directly to you unless you requested otherwise, and will be sent to your attorney of record. I strongly suggest you communicate with your attorney and ask if your EAD will be sent to you directly or did you otherwise agree to have it sent to their law firm.
Q. My gf entered the US as a tourist on an esta visa. We changed plans and we'd like for her to stay. Can it be done?
A: ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) Travel Authorizations are an approved travel authorization only, and not a visa under United States immigration law. Since ESTA authorizations are not visas, your girlfriend cannot request an extension of stay through Form I-539 or any other means. YOur girlfriend can stay up to a maximum of 90 days per visit. She is able to come back on the ESTA authorization for the remainder of its validity, which is normally 2 years. However, a reasonable amount of time must elapse between visits as to not raise any suspicions of her attempting to stay permanently. She could return to her country, request a B1/B2 tourist visa to the United States, and once she is here she can apply for an extension, allowing her to remain in the country for the permitted length of time. Please keep in mind, if your girlfriend overstays, she will be ineligible for the ESTA in the future and will start accruing unlawful presence in the United States. This might cause her to be barred from returning to the United States for 3 or 10 years depending on the length of her overstay. Remember to seek the assistance of an immigration attorney, as immigration issues can become very complex if not adequately handled.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Immigration Attorney
11983 Tamiami Trail North
Ste. 134
Naples, FL 34110
Telephone: (239) 770-7910