Free Consultation: (212) 444-8064Tap to Call This Lawyer
Amanda Brooke Shaffer

Amanda Brooke Shaffer

The Shapiro Law Firm, LLC
  • Immigration Law, Domestic Violence, Family Law...
  • New Jersey, New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Licenses: New York, New Jersey, United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit  Main Practice Areas: Immigration Law, Family Law, & Litigation Amanda was born and raised in New York and currently resides in the East Village with her dog Bailey.  She joined The Shapiro Law Firm, LLC, as a legal assistant in August 2012, and was promoted to of-counsel in November of 2012, when she was admitted to the New Jersey bar.   Amanda enjoys working at The Shapiro Law Firm, LLC, because she is able to meet and engage with clients and make a real difference in people’s lives.   Analytical by nature, there was never any doubt that Amanda was going to become a lawyer. She has always had a passion for debate and justice.  Amanda thrives in the courtroom by fervously advocating for her client's rights. Amanda understands the stress and uneasiness that clients feel when they have to attend a court proceeding or an immigration appointment.  In order to reduce nerves, Amanda always attempts to connect with her clients by making jokes and taking their mind off of the stressful situation.  Clients find that Amanda is easy-going, kind and pleasant to converse with.  Most importantly, Amanda is able to empathize with clients from all over the world, enabling an honest line of communication that secures quicker and better results for her clients.   Amanda prides herself on honesty and integrity.  She hopes that her commitment to law and justice is evident in her work product and fervently works to represent her clients' best ineterests.

Practice Areas
  • Immigration Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • Criminal Law
  • Business Law
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • DUI & DWI
  • Entertainment & Sports Law
  • White Collar Crime
  • Free Consultation
    Free over-the-phone consultation to see if you have a case and if the attorneys at The Shapiro Law Firm are a right fit for you.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Fees are either a fixed rate or are hourly depending on the type of case.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New Jersey
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
2nd Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
The Shapiro Law Firm, LLC
- Current
Quinnipiac University School of Law
J.D. (2012) | Criminal Law
Honors: Cum Laude,
Activities: Moot Court
Quinnipiac University School of Law Logo
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
B.A. (2009) | Political Science & Sociology with a Sub-concentration in law, criminology and deviance
Activities: Michigan in Washington Program, Sigma Delta Tau
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor Logo
Professional Associations
State Bar of New York
Placeholder image for professional associations.
New Jersey State Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
The Shapiro Law Firm, LLC Website
Legal Answers
11 Questions Answered

Q. Hello for my sake I over stay my visa for six months and am engage to an American man. What can I do to get documented
A: Get married and he can file a marriage petition for your Green Card. Contact an experienced immigration attorney for help.
Q. Do I have to go over old ground when applying for my i-751 in relation to question 20 when I submitted everything before
A: Yes you must answer every question honestly. Even if you already told immigration about it before. Immigration knows about your previous criminal offense and if you answer that question "no," your application will be denied and you will most likely be placed in immigration proceedings. I suggest you contact an experienced immigration attorney to assist you with the filing as even a minor criminal offense can be problematic.
Q. Can a refugee with an I-94 who has not been here long enough to get a green card apply to bring her husband to US?
A: Yes. There is a petition for relatives of refugees that you can file to bring him here fairly quickly. I recommend you contact an experienced immigration attorney to assist you. Best of luck.
Q. I am an international student on F1 visa, married to a LPR. Can apply for I-765 and I-130 concurrently?
A: Filing the I-130 does not allow you to apply for work authorization. Your work authorization will be based on your F-1/OPT status. Your spouse can go ahead and file the I-130 for you and you can apply for your OPT work authorization as you would if your spouse had not yet filed for you. Filing the I-130 may effect other benefits related to F-1 status so I suggest you contact an experienced attorney before your spouse files the petition. Best of luck.
Q. Can an Airline Pilot maintain a US green card and Canadian PR at the same time?
A: I suggest that you contact an experienced immigration attorney with your issue. I cannot speak to Canadian immigration law, as I am only an attorney in the United States. The fact that you are a pilot can complicate things depending on how much time you spend outside the country. You must be careful to abandon your permanent resident status. That being said, right now it takes about a year and a half for the spouse of green card holder to get a green card in the U.S. and once you file, your wife will be in line for her number. But I would first contact an immigration attorney to discuss your particular situation before you do anything. Good luck!
Q. Can someone who is here in the USt on Withholding, is there any path for that person to get some type of legal status?
A: You cannot get legal status (a green card) with withholding of removal. If you have another way to get a green card (like through marriage to a USC) then you have to ask the immigration court to vacate your removal order and terminate your proceedings. I suggest you contact an experienced immigration attorney if you are looking to do this.
Q. How problematic is it to continue working while waiting for EAD and AOS if current TN visa expires while waiting?
A: You cannot work in the U.S. without a valid work visa or EAD. You can be found inadmissible and thus will need a waiver to continue with your AOS if immigration finds that you worked in the U.S. illegally.
Q. Are vacations/pleasure trips to a third country allowed while travelling on AdvanceParole?
A: As long as your advance parole is still valid and provided that your advance parole is NOT based on humanitarian purposes, you are free to travel for any reason outside the U.S. and reenter the country when your return. Make sure you come back to the U.S. before the advance parole expires or they will not let you back in. You can travel to any country that you desire.
Q. I'm am a recipient of DACA , under the Obama administration should I re apply for work permit after my two years is up
A: Unless DACA is repealed by President Trump, you should renew your DACA before it expires just like you would have before Trump took office. Nothing has changed in that respect. Renewing your DACA prevents you from accruing unlawful presence and without the renewal, you will not be permitted to work in the U.S.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
The Shapiro Law Firm, LLC
11 Broadway
Suite 615
New York, NY 10004
Telephone: (212) 444-8064
Cell: (917) 818-4412
Fax: (212) 981-2726