Free Consultation: (910) 333-9679Tap to Call This Lawyer
Amanda Bowden Johnson

Amanda Bowden Johnson

The Houser Law Firm, P.C.
  • Divorce, Family Law, Traffic Tickets ...
  • North Carolina
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

The Houser Law Firm, P.C. is a Professional Corporation and full service, General Practice law firm located in Jacksonville, that serves Onslow Jones and surrounding counties in South Eastern North Carolina. We know that in these tough economic times, saving money where ever possible is important to most people. Our philosophy has always been to provide our clients with prompt, courteous and professional legal services at an affordable fee. While we never compromise on our legal professionalism, we do strive to manage our cost and expenses so that we can offer high quality legal services at fees that are reasonable and affordable.

Practice Areas
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Traffic Tickets
    Suspended License
    Criminal Law
    Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
    DUI & DWI
  • Free Consultation
    Most consultations are free. Separation Agreements, Document Reviews have a consultation fee of $100 and Child Custody and other complex cases have a $200 consultation fee. However, any consultation fee will be applied to your quoted fee if you decide to retain us.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    MasterCard, Visa, Discover, American Express
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Most of our firm's fees are on a flat rate fee basis not hourly so that you know up front exactly how much the legal services you need will cost from start to finish.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
North Carolina
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Founding Attorney and CEO
The Houser Law Firm, P.C.
- Current
North Carolina Central University School of Law
J.D. (2011)
Placeholder image for education.
University of North Carolina - Wilmington
B.A. (2008)
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
North Carolina State Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Better Business Bureau
Websites & Blogs
The Houser Law Firm Website
Easy NC Divorce
Legal Answers
1360 Questions Answered
Q. Does a complaint for absolute divorce have to be amended if the date of birth of a minor child was incorrectly put in?
A: It should be corrected - yes. There are several different ways to do this. If you did the divorce yourself, this is one of the prime reasons that is always a very bad idea. Especially considering that the only reason to even consider doing it yourself is to save money and with several NC firms able to handle it for you for a flat rate fee of around $395 - you likely won't save any money unless you are indigent (extremely low or no income) and eligible to have court cost waived. Had you hired an attorney for a total flat rate fee of $395 or so - they would absorb the cost of the mistake (if they made it). If you filed the divorce yourself - you have no one to look to but yourself for the extra cost and delay. This is on top of the fact that you have zero idea if what you are doing is the best thing in terms of whether your Divorce Complaint has stuff in there you don't need or often worse, doesn't have something you do need. If you did this divorce yourself, you should likely just consider scrapping and dismissing it and letting an attorney do things for you properly before you end up wasting any more time and money. Best of luck.
Q. Will a judge grant my 5-month-old son visitation out-of-state if his father moved to MD permanently?
A: The child's age is likely not a relevant factor and your concern about that is likely unfounded but not necessarily an unusual or unexpected stance for any mother to take. So yes, likely (and hopefully) the Court will force you to comply with reasonable and liberal visitation out of state if you continue to refuse to do so voluntarily (assuming of course there is no legitimate reason not to allow it). The fact that breast feeding is not a factor makes your inclination to limit visitation even more incredibly unreasonable even though it is very understandable. It is likely the best you will be able to do is inappropriately use the court process to delay the likely inevitable court ordered visitation as long as possible but that is likely an awful thing to do and I would encourage you not to unless you have a much better reason than the child's age. Best of luck.
Q. My 39 year old son finally moved out but he left all of his stuff behind. Can I legally discard all of his belongings?
A: Yes, but there are some steps you will likely need to follow. You are likely in a bailment situation where you will be required to take reasonable care of his property for some period of time and to provide him with formal notice to make arrangements to pick it up. If so, typically 30 days is sufficient time. So make sure his stuff is in a safe place, send him written notice to come pick it up within 30 days if he doesn't you can sell it and / or throw it away. If you want, you can move all his stuff into a storage unit and make it a condition of picking up his property that he reimburse you for the cost of moving and storage. Sometimes you can work out a deal with the storage facility to pay for 30 days at the end on which if he hasn't reimbursed you and picked up his stuff, they will take the steps to notify your son to pick up his property and will auction off the contents of the storage unit if he doesn't. Best of luck.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
The Houser Law Firm, P.C.
1007 Hargett Street
Suite 2
Jacksonville, NC 28540
Telephone: (910) 333-9679
Fax: (910) 333-8513