Free Consultation: (401) 245-5100Tap to Call This Lawyer
Allison Abilheira

Allison Abilheira

Abilheira Law, LLC
  • Criminal Law, Domestic Violence, DUI & DWI...
  • Massachusetts, Rhode Island
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Abilheira Law, LLC is passionate about representing and defending the criminally accused throughout Rhode Island. Their criminal defense attorneys have the experience, skill, and dedication to take on a broad range of charges, from DUI to domestic violence matters. They pride themselves on delivering strategic defenses and legal approaches tailored specifically to their clients’ cases. Over the years, their firm has tackled a comprehensive range of cases and can use this experience to benefit your case. Their lawyers are available around-the-clock to provide aggressive and effective defense and counsel for their clients, going above and beyond to secure the best possible outcomes. Let them be your bridge to justice! Call Abilheira Law, LLC today at (401) 526-4150 to set up a consultation.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • DUI & DWI
  • Traffic Tickets
  • White Collar Crime
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Rhode Island
1st Circuit
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Abilheira Law, LLC
- Current
Roger Williams University School of Law
J.D. (2013) | Law
Bryant College
B.A. (2010) | Political Science
Superlawyers Rising Star- Rhode Island Criminal Defense
Top 40 Under 40- Criminal Defense
National Trial Lawyers
10 Best Attorneys- Client Satisfaction
American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys
Professional Associations
Rhode Island Bar Association # 9100
Rhode Island Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Websites & Blogs
Abilheira Law, LLC
Legal Answers
11 Questions Answered

Q. Apparently my license is suspended for not paying a seatbelt violation ticket. Where would I go to pay this ticket?
A: You will have to go to whatever court originally handled the ticket- either the Rhode Island Traffic Tribunal or the Municipal Court for the city/town who issued the ticket. Once you pay the ticket, you will then need to go to the DMV to pay the reinstatement of license fee ($151.50) to clear the suspension.
Q. I rcvd a speeding 1-10 over in RI. I have lived in RI for 18 months. My record in VA is clean. Can I qual for safe drvr?
A: Yes, you would just need to provide the court with a copy of your VA driving record, so that they can confirm that you have maintained a clean record for a total of three years between RI and VA.
Q. First speeding ticket, 10mph over speed limit. Could I request forgiveness under "good driving statute"?
A: You do not qualify for the good driving record, as you need to have had your license for at least three years to be able to use the good driving statute. However, a judge may allow you to do community service or simply pay Court costs for your first ticket, so that it does not go on your driving record or insurance. You will need to go to court to do this. Do not pay the ticket by mail.
Q. I was charged with position of alcohol as a minor at 17 I am now 18 what am I looking at in terms of trouble
A: The answer to this question depends upon where you are being required to go to court. If you are required to go to District Court- you have been charged with a misdemeanor. You will face a fine of one hundred fifty dollars ($150) to seven hundred fifty dollars ($750), community service, and a license suspension of up to sixty (60) days. However, if you are required to go to Municipal Court- you have been charged with a civil violation of a City or Town ordinance. Normally this punishment will only include a fine and will not result in a criminal record. If you are charged with a misdemeanor, you may consider hiring an attorney who can fight these charges and push to have the charge dismissed and ultimately expunged.
Q. If someone charges a person with first degree robbery but drops charges and doesn’t show to court what happens?
A: A person can’t charge you with first degree robbery, it would be the state or federal government to pursue these criminal charges. Therefore, the actual person who alleged the theft occurred is likely not required to go to court unless the case is scheduled for trial and they need to testify.
Q. I received a speeding ticket in RI my first violation and I paid it in full before my designated court hearing.
A: Yes, unfortunately you did. You will need to file a motion to vacate the guilty plea. You will be given a hearing date and on that date you can explain and ask to use the good driving record.
Q. I have an arrest warrant for a simple domestic that isn't true but I am already on personal recoginance
A: The police can still charge you with a domestic violence crime even without the “victim” being on board, if they believe there is enough evidence. You should contact an attorney to coordinate your surrender and arraignment, as you could be held at the ACI as a bail violator if you are already on PR in another case.
Q. Pulled over going twenty over the speed limit. Officer marked I was only going 5 over the speed limit. First offense.
A: The judge does not use the "actual/police use" speed to determine good driving eligibility, rather it goes by what the police officer actually charged you with, which in this case is 1-10 mph over. As long as you have had your license for more than three years and have kept a clean record for the last three years, you will be able to have it dismissed under the good driving statute. You will only be responsible for paying court costs, which are $60.00. You will need to appear in court on the date listed on your ticket. Also, if you have an out of state license, you will need to get a certified or attested copy of your driving record from your licensing state and will need to bring it to court with you.
Q. I had a loud discussion/fight with my wife at home.
A: You should absolutely consult with and hire a lawyer. You are being charged with a domestic violence crime. Prosecutors and judges take these crimes very seriously and the penalties can include jail time, counseling, and the no contact order with your wife.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Abilheira Law, LLC
Main Office
957 Main St
Warren, RI 02885
Telephone: (401) 245-5100
Fax: (401) 245-5102
Abilheira Law, LLC
Satellite Office
1 Turks Head Pl
Providence, RI 02903
Telephone: (401) 903-3247
Fax: (401) 245-5102