Free Consultation: (800) 583-8002Tap to Call This Lawyer
Robert D. Kreisman

Robert D. Kreisman

Kreisman Law Offices
  • Medical Malpractice, Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect, Elder Law...
  • Illinois, Missouri
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ABronzeBlawgsearchSocial Media

Kreisman Law Offices is a Chicago-based personal injury firm that successfully uses a client-based approach to seek justice for victims nationwide. Robert Kreisman is an AV-rated attorney with over 37 years of experience litigating a variety of personal injury cases, including those involving medical malpractice, car accidents, wrongful death, and products liability. He works with some of the leading experts in the nation and employs the newest technology to seek the most favorable results possible for his clients. All cases are taken on a contingency fee basis, meaning you pay nothing unless there is a recovery on your case. Please call the Kreisman Law Offices today to pursue the justice you deserve.

Practice Areas
  • Medical Malpractice
  • Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect
  • Elder Law
  • Personal Injury
  • Products Liability
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Business Law
Additional Practice Areas
  • Birth Injury
  • Anesthesiology Errors
  • Brain Injury
  • Car Accidents
  • Pharmaceutical Litgation / Prescription Drug Side Effects
  • Product Defects
  • Truck Accidents
  • Wrongful Death
  • Free Consultation
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
7th Circuit
Federal Circuit
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Kreisman Law Offices
DePaul College of Law
LL.M. (1981)
The John Marshall Law School
J.D. (1976)
Honors: with Honors
University of Missouri - Columbia
President's Club
American Association for Justice
American Association for Justice
Peer Rating AV (Highest Rating)
Martindale-Hubbard Law Directory
Professional Associations
American College of Legal Medicine
- Current
Decalogue Society of Lawyers
- Current
Trial Lawyers for Public Justice
- Current
Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- Current
American Association for Justice
- Current
Illinois State Bar
- Current
Missouri State Bar
- Current
American Bar Association
- Current
Chicago Bar Association
- Current
Bar Association of Metropolitain St. Louis
- Current
Speaking Engagements
Successfully Handling Medical Negligence Cases, AAJ Annual Convention, Los Angeles, CA
American Association for Justice
Moderator for Professional Negligence Section seminar
Websites & Blogs
Kreisman Law Offices Website
Robert D. Kreisman's Website Profile
Chicago Injury Lawyer Blog
Chicago Personal Injury Lawyer Blawg
Chicago Medical Malpractice Attorney Blog
Chicago Nursing Home Lawyers Blog
Chicago Birth Injury Lawyers Blog
Legal Answers
202 Questions Answered

Q. I was injured by a defective product while on vacation in another state - where would I file a claim?
A: Much depends on where the product was sold, distributed and manufactured as well as the place of the injury. Many household items, machined products, pharmaceutical products and the like are made by companies whose principal place of business is in another state or country. There are also many possible component parts to consider with any product. Given just this limited amount of information, Texas and a federal district court stands as just one of many possible venues for bringing your lawsuit. A thorough investigation of the product should be done before choosing the situs of the lawsuit and who the parties might be. It is imperative that the product itself be preserved in the condition it was when it first was purchased or in the condition it was in when it injured you.
Q. Does an item have to be under recall in order to bring a lawsuit?
A: No it does not. Generally if the product is found to be defective by competent and reliable expert opinion that caused your injury, a product liability could be pursued. Be sure that the product itself must be retained and/or stored in the same condition it was in when it was last used that may have caused your injury. Preserving the integrity of the product for trial is usually the most important evidence in your potential case.
Q. What if the surgeon who performed my surgery improperly subsequently has retired? Can I still sue for medical
A: Yes. The fact that the surgeon has retired makes no difference if the surgery was done below the standard of care and was a cause of your injuries. On the defendant doctor's side however, the fact the he/she has retired may be an issue of both his/her cooperation with an eventual lawsuit and his/her retirement reasons could become a fact issue that a jury may hear if considered relevant. I'm not aware of any case where the retirement alone would excuse the doctor's insurance carrier from insuring his errors when he/she was in practice.
Q. If a driver was insured but was driving another vehicle that wasnt on his insurance do i go after his insurance or him
A: First of all you should hire an attorney that will sort this out. The short answer is that the party that was at fault is the party who you would pursue for compensation for your injuries (assuming you were injured). As for the property damage to your vehicle, your insurance company will handle that piece in most situations without your attorney being involved.
Q. sons phone caught fire in his pocket. Due to quick reaction he was not injured. Is there any conpensation in this
A: Other than requesting that your son receive a new phone that doesn't catch fire, there would not be any damages to claim.
Q. How long after a botched procedure do I have to file a medical malpractice claim?
A: In general you have two years from the negligent act or omission to file a lawsuit along with a certificate of merit under 735 ILCS 5/2-622. You should consult with an Illinois lawyer in your area who practices in the area of medical negligence law.
Q. When you get a personal injury settlement do you get all the money at once?
A: Yes, unless you agreed to some other term. In addition, you should receive a settlement statement from your attorney detailing all of the attorney's costs and the agreed upon fees related to your case. You should review that settlement statement carefully to make sure it matches with your understanding of what the settlement was described to you to be.
Q. I tripped and fell at my condo complex due to unrepaired concrete after tree roots shifted curb and stairs. I injured my
A: Yes. But the burden of proving the defect will be on you. You will have to prove that this defect, as you described, was known to the condominium association, its management and perhaps other contractors, but they chose not to repair. It also is on you to show that the defect was not "open and obvious" and thus avoidable by you. I would urge you to photograph the area very carefully if you haven't already. Most importantly contact an attorney who can help you with this.
Q. Are there any legal barriers to removing a relative from a nursing home that is acting negligently?
A: If your relative is not either an adjudicated disabled person or is not otherwise incompetent, your relative can choose to relocate for any reason. If your relative is incompetent, then without a power of attorney for health care, a court would need to appoint a guardian of your relative to be able to make those decisions if found to be incompetent and/or disabled.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Kreisman Law Offices
55 W Monroe St
Chicago, IL 60603
Toll-Free: (800) 583-8002
Telephone: (312) 346-0045
Fax: (866) 618-4198